Cold start = No start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start = No start

Bought the truck used less than a month ago, 1999 7.3, still working out the tweaks. Live in Canada Manitoba Winnipeg. Currently temp outside is -1C. (30F). Since I bought it I've left it plugged in over night up until I read on this forum that I may be killing my electrical bill, so it has sat unplugged for 3 days.

I go to start it this morning (-1c, 30f), turns over, no start. Is this common at this temp, therefore should be plugging in every night? If its NOT common at this temp, then I start checking...

Battery strength x2
GPR
GPs

?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

15w40 in the truck now. Previous owner had just serviced truck before I bought it, when I service it, switching to 10w30.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The first thing that I would do is test the glow plug relay and then if that test out ok then the glow plugs. Also check out Kevins hard starting thread.

As for plugging in the truck get yourself a 15 amp timer and set it for about 3 hours before you need your truck. You can pick one up at any hardware store.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

The timer is a great idea. I will do that thank you.

I haven't checked the relay yet, but plugged the truck in 45 mins, truck started first try.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_980 View Post
The timer is a great idea. I will do that thank you.

I haven't checked the relay yet, but plugged the truck in 45 mins, truck started first try.

I would say at those temperatures if your Glow Plug system (Glow Plugs, Relay, Batteries and Starter motor) are all good you should not be having that much trouble starting it. I agree with bugman...check your glow plug relay and go from there. I will bet you either have a bad glow plug relay or several glow plugs. If you GPR and glow plugs test good...then have your batteries load tested at a Auto Parts store. If your batteries are good, inspect all your battery connections. Make sure they are tight and not corroded. If all the above tested good then remove your starter motor and have it tested. By plugging your truck in and it starts fine something isn't right in your Glow Plug system. Also switching to 10W30 or 5W-40 can help with cold starts. Just my two cents.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.

Last edited by Griz; 01-09-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Griz that's a good call in regards to to plugging block heater in solves issue tell me my GP system has issues. I read somewhere that the GPR costs $100+\-, but there was an aftermarket one that mounts backwards and costs $20, if you guys recall what part number or brand that is lemme know! I'll b
Google'n as soon as I'm done this post.

Random Q: I want to get a TS 6pos chip, and want to first install a boost gauge. Which one do you guys suggest? If I want to run 80hp econo primarily, or 100 for heavy payload, what PSI will the gauge need to read? I ask because my local piston ring can only get me one option, made by JET, Product No.: HTA1154.
Max psi it reads is 25. Good enough? Would cost me $36, price fair as well? Open to suggestions.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
For a stock type of relay you can get a NAPA part number gpr109 which will work. But if you want to put one in and not have to worry about it then I suggest a Stancor 586-902 which you can find on line.

As for gages I have a Isspro which goes up to 35 pounds which is fine for a slightly modified truck. Auto Meter also makes some nice ones. You might also want to look for a pyrometer or a exhaust gas temperature if you are planning on a chip. You don't say if you have a automatic or a 6 speed but if it is a automatic you'll need a tranny temp one also.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

i had the exact same problem your having last year if it was 30 degrees or below and my truck would not start period. i had my truck pluged in every day from novemeber to late march. a few months later my starter locked up so i went to autozone and got a new one, after i installed it i spend 45 min cleaning my battery terimals so that everything is nice and shiny. hooked it all back up and i was amazed how fast my truck started easily 5 times faster. it was 0 last weekend and i went out side one cycle of the glow plugs and the thing fired up like it was warm, ive yet to plug it in this year. the starter and corrodded bat termials gave me a really slow/ weak start
BrianCain11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've had a bad or dead glow plug for a couple of years. I live in ca so I don't worry about it being bad, but as for this thread ... My bad glow plug causes the check engine light to stay on, and sets a code in the computer. If you don't have a check engine light on, I'd assume your plugs are ok, would narrow it down to the relay. Is your wait to start light illuminating?
Red Line Oil "RL-2" in every tank fill

195,000 miles, 10 of which were put on by the dealer.

Firefighter for 24 years.

I love my job, my girl, my kids, my dog and my PSD, not necessarily in that order.
lodiengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes wait to start comes on. Hmm I'll b checking the relay shortly. Thanks for advice.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had the GPR tested and was told it worked just fine. So... The glow plugs ate next step?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't get check engine light.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Your 10w-30 oil, is is diesel rated oil? Just curious, as regular automotive oil you would put in the car is not good for a diesel. If you are going to have to do cold start-ups with no access to power for the oil heater, you might go ahead and put the synthetic 5w-40 in. It might cost a bit more, but the savings on wear and tear on starters, injectors, seals and sensors will make it worth it. When the oil is like peanutbutter, it's not good for the motor.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Currently running 15w40 non-synthetic for diesel motors.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

You should be able to test your glow plugs with an ohm meter. Checking for resistance. Sorry, I haven't done this on my 7.3, but I did find two bad plugs on my 6.9 a few years back. Problem is the glow plugs are under the valve covers on the 7.3. On my old 6.9 they were right where you'd expect to find spark plugs if it were a gasser. Google resistance testing for 7.3. Or wait a while here, and the info will probably be hand delivered in no time.
Red Line Oil "RL-2" in every tank fill

195,000 miles, 10 of which were put on by the dealer.

Firefighter for 24 years.

I love my job, my girl, my kids, my dog and my PSD, not necessarily in that order.
lodiengineer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.