Cold weather induced oil leak. Oil cooler maybe? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold weather induced oil leak. Oil cooler maybe?

Normally every morning I walk out in my PJs and start my truck, wait 30 seconds, mash the ebrake to trigger my AIC to kick on then go back inside, take my shower and get ready for work.

Well all this week its been around 40 degrees, maybe up to about 44 when I start this process.

So I get out to get in my truck and notice a teacup saucer sized puddle. the drip was from the crossmember which looked like something near the oil cooler was dripping on the crossmember and running down. This happened twice in the same day.

Today the same thing happened except I started the truck and proceeded to unload the groceries from my bed with the truck idling. That took about 10 minutes then I mashed the E brake and proceeded to get ready. When I came out there was no puddle.

I dont see anywhere else it could be coming from and the oil cooler seems to be the only logical place. Am I on the right track? looks like this is a perfect opportunity to do my coolant flush too.

Also, Im running delo 15w40 currently, first time running it. I am running it just to see what the report looks like. Because its getting cold and my truck still has the romps I was thinking about trying out some Rotella T6 this winter to see if there is any noticeable difference. My question would be how would the 5w40 synthetic handle the leak?

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Company owned but mods will come.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel
Demoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoh View Post
Normally every morning I walk out in my PJs and start my truck, wait 30 seconds, mash the ebrake to trigger my AIC to kick on then go back inside, take my shower and get ready for work.

Well all this week its been around 40 degrees, maybe up to about 44 when I start this process.

So I get out to get in my truck and notice a teacup saucer sized puddle. the drip was from the crossmember which looked like something near the oil cooler was dripping on the crossmember and running down. This happened twice in the same day.

Today the same thing happened except I started the truck and proceeded to unload the groceries from my bed with the truck idling. That took about 10 minutes then I mashed the E brake and proceeded to get ready. When I came out there was no puddle.

I dont see anywhere else it could be coming from and the oil cooler seems to be the only logical place. Am I on the right track? looks like this is a perfect opportunity to do my coolant flush too.

Also, Im running delo 15w40 currently, first time running it. I am running it just to see what the report looks like. Because its getting cold and my truck still has the romps I was thinking about trying out some Rotella T6 this winter to see if there is any noticeable difference. My question would be how would the 5w40 synthetic handle the leak?
Let me just hazard a WAG....
If it's not leaking into your coolant, it could just be some bad "O" ring seals on your oil cooler..

A set of those is about $60...unfortunately you have to do the same operation as totally removing and replacing the oil cooler to do it...
For a good mechanic it's about a 2 1/2 hr operation....
The cold weather has a tendency to bring out the worst in diesel engines..
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine did the exact same thing last year. On one of our coldest mornings I watched it leak just after startup, then it goes away pretty quick when things warm up. I bought the o-ring rebuild kit for the cooler and decided to wait till it was warmer to fix the problem. It only leaked a couple of times last winter and never came close during the rest of the year.

O-ring kit still sitting in my tool box!

this truck was the WINNER of the 2013 Tough Truck Challenge by Ford Commercial Vehicles Division! that's how we got the '14!

'14 F350 LWB SRW Crew Cab Lariat
big_blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds right. Mine did the same thing for several years, only leaking when it got belo 30 or so. I had the kit for several year before it got bad enough to fix.

Jay
99 XLT,PSD,CC,SB, 4x4, Manual T-case and hubs, auto trans, 3:73 Limited slip,Straight piped, Amsoil and Dodge LS Additive in the rear, Diamond B Brush Guard, AFE MAgnum intake/Pro guard 7 filter, Isspro Gauges on A-piller, SCMT 60 or 80hp, 203 T-Stat, Billit Housing
IF YOU HAVE EATEN TODAY, THANK A FARMER!!
Jay Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Perfect, that makes me feel a lot better.

So is the cause just extreme oil pressure so it pushes past the oring im guessing?

Just for giggles I plugged in and no leaks at all for the days I plugged her in.

I guess ill end up in the same boat with an extra kit. If it ends up getting bad enough I might PM one of you to see if you want to get rid of the kit that isnt being used to clear enough space for an extra CPS or something...

Now for the next question: I was thinking about maybe trying out 5w40 synthetic rotella this year to see if i get the same results as I did with my car. I run my crown vic (4.6l gasser) on Rotella T6 and she loves it. Much quieter. I think for my brother's dodge's next time ill switch from Rotella T to T6. (that 5.2 gasser had oiling problems. got much better with rotella so next time ill try synthetic)

So do you guys think the synthetic 5w40 will leak more?

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Company owned but mods will come.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel
Demoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.