Computer "reset" and Ford dealer rip-off - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Computer "reset" and Ford dealer rip-off

Hi All,
Here is my little story and how I was robbed by the North Point Ford dealer in Alpharetta GA.
About 3 days ago, I got to the office after a 25 miles drive, and everything was running smooth with my F350 PSD, 2001. Got in the parking lot, and shut off the engine, then I realized that I was almost double parked, and decided to straighten the truck. Well, that was it. The truck would not start! Engine would turn ,but no fuel! I said it may be a bad diesel filter, and changed it. Same result. In the end I had to call AAA to tow me to the nearest dealership (which unfortunately was the one in Alpharetta GA.). I had to take it into a dealership because the engine still has warranty up to 100.000 miles.
So, next day, 2 p.m., no call from the dealer to let me know something. I had to call and they told me that the batteries are dead, and must be replaced before anything can be done. Oh well, mine were almost 4 years old, and I said, do it. Next day: at lunch time, again, no call. When I called them the only thing they have found they told me was a low voltage code P1298. My chip is stock, PMT3. They told me that they had flashed the chip with the latest F350 for 01 update version 12A650A - for PMT3 type. No other part was found to be faulty, and no other codes they told me
To make a long story short, I could not take the truck from there until I paid computer reset for 200 $. Now, what I don't know is: was I taken for a ride? or this is something genuine?
Thank you in advance for any advice and help and also wanted to ask: how much a diagnose tester costs (a good one) and if I connect that, does it leaves residual codes? Is there any software that can be used with a laptop?
Thank you again.
m106541 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Computer "reset" and Ford dealer rip-off

mine acted the same way, took it to ford he reflached to 2c3f-df. that was last year, been runninn good. seems to have a little more power
2002 f350 crew cab short box 3inch tuff country level kit 315 toyo mudd terrains on 8 inch nitto rims afe stage11 intake with pre filter window tint leer canopy auto meter quages . 4 inch mbrp exhaust. superchips 1805 tuner. towinn our 2004 27 ts komfort tt.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rws444psd
rws444psd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

A good code reader for a Ford PSD is going to run from $420,Ebay AutoXray 6000, to $800 for AutoEnginuity's Scan Tool. AutoEnginuity has one for a laptop. The thing with a PSD is that you need the enhanced Ford codes and the cheaper code readers don't have them. I found this out with my AutoXray 2000 code reader. I wouldn't work with mine for that particular reason. P1298 is a IDM failure,IDM: Injector Driver Module The PCM sends a Cylinder Identification and Fuel Demand Control signal to the IDM. The IDM sends a 110 volt signal to the injectors. It then grounds each injector as fuel is required for that cylinder. Fuel Pulse width is increased to deliver more fuel. The IDM sends a feedback signal to the PCM for fault detection. PID: FuelPW Fuel Pulse Width signal from PCM (milliseconds) not low voltage. If P1667 PCM/IDM CID circuit failure Cyl. identification circuit also came up then the IDM needs to be replaced according to the Ford Emmission/Diagnosis manual 7.3L
nd2kpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do you think then it could be a IDM fault ? Here is what the dealer wrote in the diagnostic sheet:

PERFORM NO START DIAG. STEPS 1-10 SEE ATTACHED SHEET (they didn't give that to me)CODES P1298 PINPOINT TEST FJ FOUND LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE. HAD BATTERIES REPLACED RETEST ALL-PASS-REFLASH PCM TO LATEST CALIBRATION. ROAD TEST OK

I will definitely look for the tester, it is cheaper to have mine than go to Ford. They have told me that nothing had to be replaced, but I am now wondering, what if this happens again? and what if I am on a HWY driving when it does?
By the way, Ford warranty didn't cover a cent, because this was "so called" incidental damage from a battery the was out of the warranty. No wonder sales for Ford and GMC are down the pipe.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

You might have been taken for only $100. If it had been engine related warranty repair you would have paid $100 deductable any way. So, $100 for lesson learned isn't all that bad, it could have been much much more!!!

Paul B
2001 Excursion Limited PSD,2wd,Auto. Toreador Red,10/2000,4.5 Racor,unTAGed,203*,DP-Tuner,AIS Filter,Riley Coolant Filter,6.0 cooler,Cat ELC,Son/Tri,Underdash Lunar Gauges,Hadley Air Horn,On Board Air,Fumoto,2006 31' Flagstaff TT 6.5K,Prodigy
2000 Honda CRV EX
PIC'S
pabrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

You where taken for a ride the computer is covered under your 5 year 100K warrenty I just posted something about my computer last week. The dealership replaced my computer to fix the problem and only charged me my $100 deductable. I only made it about 5 miles down the road and it went out again. They towed me back found what was causing the short in the computer replaced it and the computer again with anouther new computer and covered it under the original ticket so I didn't even have to pay the $100 deductable again. Go Champion Ford/ Houston TX.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
A good code reader for a Ford PSD is going to run from $420,Ebay AutoXray 6000, to $800 for AutoEnginuity's Scan Tool. AutoEnginuity has one for a laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

AutoEnginuity's Ford Enhanced package for a laptop is less than half of what you said. I bought mine for under $400. It will do anything you want it to do, except won't do reflashes (probably a good thing).

Recommended and available from one of the site sponsors (can't remember which one now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

I think you should have only been charged $100 for the reflash. Like one of the other posters said, the PCM is covered under the 5 yr/100K mile Engine warranty.

Go back and talk with the service manager. If it was just low batteries, then there was no need for the reflash. If the low battery condition damaged the PCM, then it would still have been covered, because the PCM shouldn't be taken out by low voltage.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

[ QUOTE ]
A good code reader for a Ford PSD is going to run from $420

[/ QUOTE ]
I paid less than $300 for mine from Ease Diagnostics and it does everything I need it to do. It is a simple to use, Palm diagnostics program. Paid for itself many times over just on my Fords.
Jim
2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod; 4" Exhaust, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in Dash; AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A good code reader for a Ford PSD is going to run from $420,Ebay AutoXray 6000, to $800 for AutoEnginuity's Scan Tool. AutoEnginuity has one for a laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

AutoEnginuity's Ford Enhanced package for a laptop is less than half of what you said. I bought mine for under $400. It will do anything you want it to do, except won't do reflashes (probably a good thing).

I was refering to their bundle. I see that there is cheaper packages that should work. The big thing for the PSD, is the enhanced ford ability.
nd2kpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was refering to their bundle. I see that there is cheaper packages that should work. The big thing for the PSD, is the enhanced ford ability.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Ford Bundle" as you're calling it which is all you need is under $360 <font color="red"> HERE</font> which is still less than 1/2 of what you indicated. That includes the CAN interface too.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Paul, Ford dealer told me the following story: yes, it would have been covered and pay only the 100$ deductible, but because this is considered an incidental damage caused by a battery which is not under warranty, and because this thing has occurred due to low voltage (bull)then I have to pay it all ! Now, is not about the 100, 200, or even 500$, is the principle of ripping off a customer, when they can. I could not take the vehicle for there, and even told me that if some one else fix it, will void my warranty ! I am talking especially about this dealer in GA - North Point Ford, and I don't think all dealers are like that, absolutely not.
Regarding the testers, I would probably go for one the one on the laptop, but from what I have read on this site, some time back, some testers, leave a residual code, or something that will tell the dealer that some one else looked into the computer. Is that right, and if so, is there a "clean" one ? Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the testers, I would probably go for one the one on the laptop, but from what I have read on this site, some time back, some testers, leave a residual code, or something that will tell the dealer that some one else looked into the computer. Is that right, and if so, is there a "clean" one ? Thanks a lot guys for all the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's BS. At least as far as the AutoEnginuity goes. Some programmers or chips might, but that may just be Fordspeak to discourage their use.

Sounds like that dealer is one to stay away from.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, absolutely. They have made a quick buck here, but the last one from me, and I was thinking this year to get me a new 6 l. F350...ain't gonna happen.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

I agree, never use that dealer again take the extra time and drive somewhere else. And even though I live way down here in Texas let me say thank you for the information on this North Point Ford, if I'm ever up there I know where not to go. You did nothing to the batterys and because it's not a covered part they wont cover the part that is, thats BS. I found out that my original computer fried due to a program in the computer that was already there when I bought the truck used and Champion Ford here in Houston still covered it since I knew nothing about it. Thats called customer service and repeat business, not to mention the fact that I'm putting there name out there like I am now.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Not sure I'm following this. Did you pay $200 just for the reflash or was $200 the total bill for new batteries, diagnosis and reflash ? If $200 is the total for everything including two new batteries, that's not too bad.

Other Fords Gone:
1999.5 F250 CC SB XLT 4WD, 7.3 PSD, First F,2nd Diesel, nice but still liked the van better.
2003 E-350 Super Duty Chateau (Club Wagon)7.3PSD, 3rd Club Wagon,First diesel, Never should have sold it....
1996 Club Wagon Chateau Heavy Duty 7.5L (460) V8 Pass anything but a gas station, Traded it in on the '03
1992 E150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.0L (302) V8
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.