Coolant additive needed in 02' with orange coolant??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant additive needed in 02' with orange coolant???

Just wanted to know if you guys can tell me if I need the additive for cavatation in my 02" with orange coolant or not, reading a lot about the different coolants on here. ?? thanks Weed
2002 F250 XLT extended cab longbox 4x4, ARE topper, Westin grill guard, Home made Tymar style intake mod, Walker BTM, CCV mod w/custom drain valve. A-piller gauge pod next. all beautiful black finish-and a lot of work to keep clean! uugghh! pulling an 18' dovetail with my coiled and Boggered Samurai on board! approx. #6000 lb.s total. lets go wheeling!!
Weed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: Coolant additive needed in 02' with orange coolant???

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to know if you guys can tell me if I need the additive for cavatation in my 02" with orange coolant or not,...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you don't have orange coolant - as in DexCool. That would be a huge mistake.

But most 2002 PSDs came with G-05 gold coolant, which is more a yellow color with maybe a hint of greenish-yellow color. Compared to the old green coolant, the G-05 is not green at all, but looked at by itself I see some greenish tint to mine.

The gold coolant often turns a golden brown or light tan as it ages, but it doesn't turn orangish.

Ford says the factory fill of G-05 gold coolant does not require any sort of maintenance for 5 years or 100,000 miles - other than topping off. If you have already drained/flushed/refilled the coolant with gold coolant, then that refill is good for 50,000 miles.

Only the old green coolant that was Ford factory fill before the 2002 model year requires maintenance with supplemental coolant additive (SCA).

A few 2002 PSDs came with the old green coolant. If your VIN begins with a "1", then it came with gold coolant. But if the VIN begins with a "3" and the month of assembly was in CY 2001, then it might have came with green coolant.

If someone changed your coolant and installed orange DexCool in it, then I would drain and flush your cooling system immediately. Ford says to use only the G-05 coolant, such as Motorcraft Premium Gold or Zerex G-05 coolant.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to know if you guys can tell me if I need the additive for cavatation in my 02" with orange coolant or not, reading a lot about the different coolants on here. ?? thanks Weed

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things will give the coolant a burned gold look that is easy to mistake for orange. One is anti-leak sealing tablets that Ford installs in some of these trucks. The other is some coolant additives. But, if you have ever seen DEXCOOL it won't look that orange, like well an orange. Why don't you just flush the system thoroughly since it is almost 5 years old anyway, what is the waste 40 bucks in coolant? Check your hoses, install a coolant filter set up, new thermostat and thermostat housing, change your coolant. Sure you can use the G-05 coolant Ford supplies and recommends, it is minimally acceptable in a diesel application. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best thing out there for a diesel application. However, if you want it, G-05, to have the applicable nitrate percentage you will need to supplement it with a product like NAPA COOL even with new G-05 it will likely take two pints to get your nitrate up to 2.0 where you want it. The recommended change is 50K miles. Or you can just install one of many ELC coolants made and formulated specifically for diesel applications and forget about it probably for the life of the unit.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, I see what you mean about color, Yeah, it is actually the gold stuff upon closer inspection that came with the truck upon production as you stated. my rig has 64.000 miles on the clock so from what you guys are saying it looks to be good for a while yet. I have it in storage in my shop doing a good check over before my tow season comes back and thought I would ask on here while it sits. thanks alot guys I appreciate the info! Weed
2002 F250 XLT extended cab longbox 4x4, ARE topper, Westin grill guard, Home made Tymar style intake mod, Walker BTM, CCV mod w/custom drain valve. A-piller gauge pod next. all beautiful black finish-and a lot of work to keep clean! uugghh! pulling an 18' dovetail with my coiled and Boggered Samurai on board! approx. #6000 lb.s total. lets go wheeling!!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

I hope you don't have orange coolant - as in DexCool. That would be a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be ignorant to think the coolant is bad just because it's "orange".

One of the most popular G-05 coolants out there, Diamler-Chrysler Mopar G-05, is Orange. It's the same exact coolant as Ford's G-05, supplied by the same manufacturer (Valvoline/Zerex), except it's dyed Orange instead of Gold (it all starts out clear). You can read the "FAQ: HERE.

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

Ford says the factory fill of G-05 gold coolant does not require any sort of maintenance for 5 years or 100,000 miles

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford also never recommended testing the SCA level in the old green coolant, and we know that was bad advice.

Most diesel engine makers require testing, maintenance, and adding SCA when using the Gold. For example, Ford requires the addition of SCA to the Gold in the CAT optioned F-series trucks. John Deere publishes right on their bottle of Valvoline/Zerex G-05 (labeled as JD Cool-Gard) to test, maintain, and add SCA at least annually.

So you can act like it's maintenance-free if you want, but it isn't. In fact it will come right out of the bottle with minimum cavitation inhibitors, and they will deplete particularly as miles add up.

[ QUOTE ]
Ford says to use only the G-05 coolant, such as Motorcraft Premium Gold or Zerex G-05 coolant.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they don't. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

For those trucks that originally came with Gold, Ford specifies a WSS-M97B51-A1 coolant, or equivalent. It doesn't have to be G-05, Motorcraft, Zerex, or Gold color.

If the truck originally came with Green, Ford specifies an ESE-M97B44-A coolant, or equivalent. It doesn't have to be Motorcraft, Zerex, or Green.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gooch, are you saying then for peace of mind I should just test strip it and add as needed like I did with my old 95'? will my coolant accept it and work fine? Thanks Weed
Old 01-15-2007, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Yes.

You can use something like THESE test strips to check the corrosion inhibitors. These strips are made for the G-05.

Also you can use any 2-way or 3-way test strip that indicates "Nitrite" to test for the G-05's cavitation inhibitor (the G-05 has a Nitrite-based cavitation inhibitor). Since the G-05 doesn't have Molybdate, ignore that component if your test strip has it. Shoot for about 2000 ppm Nitrite.

The G-05 is compatible with SCA additive. In fact most diesel makers recommend adding SCA to it. Ford even recommends adding it to the Gold G-05 they use in their CAT optioned F-series, as seen HERE.

There are advantages to using a better coolant. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gooch, Thats what I needed to know! Thanks much! Weed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.