The Diesel Stop banner

Coolant in oil

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Jimmyjames 
#1 ·
Here is the conclusion. My HPOP is not bad. I still have a leak from the coolant system and am getting lots of coolant in to the oil but no oil in to the coolant. This was causing the oil to emulsify and not pump in the HPOP properly. Thanks for the help
I was driving my 2001 f250 and my programmer flashed warning "oil temp too high". I have the same symptoms as you, coolant in the oil, but no oil in the coolant. What did you find out about your coolant in the oil situation? Please give details! thanks

#2 ·
You have a leak somewhere in the coolant system that is connected to the crankcase. An oil cooler leak would put oil into the coolant (oil pressure greater than coolant pressure). A couple of spots to check are the front cover where the water pump bolts on. Cavitation there can pinhole the front cover into the crankcase. Another possibility is a cracked block (don't ask how I know that). Hopefully that isn't your problem.

#4 ·
If the injector cups were cracked you'd have fuel in the coolant.
The turbo isn't connected to the cooling system. There are only limited places where coolant has more pressure than oil and can go that direction without oil getting into the coolant. #1 culprit is the front cover.

#5 ·
Ok I'll check that out. I don't think its a crack in my block because I wouldn't have been able to drive it for 700 miles after the install. Cracks are not progressive malfunctions like the front plate that actually wears and then breeches. Correct???
Thanks again

#6 ·
Gator or Hansen, I forgot to tell you...I pressurized my cooling system, 20lbs at the radiator filler and it did not lose any pressure for 2 days. Is this possible with a worn front cover. Sorry but this seems to be important considering theres a leak from the cooling system to the engine oil. Thanks!

#7 ·
Could be heat related. As your engine warms up the metal expands and the crack or hole opens then when cool it closes.
Hopefully klhansen or someone else may be able to point you closer. Might be time for a visual inspection of the front cover.

#9 ·
Is this a new engine? Or a swap from another truck? If the engine has been rebuilt or even just opened up there is maybe a possibility that the heads or front cover or something else wasn't torqued properly or the wrong sealant was used and might simply have a blown gasket issue? Seems odd that that would only show up hot but stranger things have happened.

#10 ·
Just a swap. Engine pulled from a 2003 truck and put into mine. other than the valve cover gaskets, no head or front cover etc gaskets were altered or replaced. Diesel doctors did the swap and even though they overcharged me $2200, they are a renown diesel repair shop.

#11 ·
How many miles on the motor?
Do you have any history on it?

#12 ·
260k miles. Owner said it was making a knocking sound, took it to a mechanic and the mechanic said motor needed to be replaced. he replaced it with a re manufactured engine and continued to have the knock...they found that the knock was a cracked flywheel. With exceptions of it not passing smog because of throwing a code, it ran so dang good. Had a lot of getup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.