cost to replace turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cost to replace turbo

Hey all, 2 Quick questions I'm in CT and have an 02:
1. excluding the cost of the turbo, what should be the approximate cost to swap out a direct replacement turbo?
2. How do I know if the turbo really needs to be replace and I'm not just getting jerked around?
Thanks
Ravenscliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

What issues/symptoms are you having?
DP-Tuner>No-Start,Stock,High Idle,60HP Tow,Decel,80HP Econo,120HP Race,Lope Idle
ATS Housing
HPX Crossover
AIH Delete
Autometer Ultralite Series Gauges(Boost,Pyro,Trans)
Bellowed Uppipes
Rancho RS 5000"s
DIY Tymar/6637
Custom/Spicer Driveline
B.T.S. Valve body
AIH Delete
OverBoost Annihilator
6.0 Trans.cooler
Under construction!
schlepprock379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've been having an issue of the EGT going up and my boost going to 0. I've had a couple fellas on here say that it could be a leak in the cold air pipes or boots, but the gut at he shop thinks it is the turbo. It isn't making any noise, and as long as I'm not pulling a load on jumping on the fuel pedal it will increase in speed. I took it to the shop and they said turbo, I need my truck for use on the farm, but I don't want to get rammed either. If it is the turbo then okay, but if it is something else like the boots or pipe I don't want to pay to have a turbo put on.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lariat 7.3
pull your intake pipe and check the shaft for play there should be a tad bit of play in it. if it building boost then drops to zero i think you have a leak somewhere that just lets go at a certain amount of boost. if your turbo was toast it'd be pretty obvious, either smoke out the exhaust or itd be making some noise

just hit 218,000

38R with Turbo Master
238/80% hybrids
Riff Raff FRx
5 inch miter cut stack
remote start.
Autometer C2 series gauges.

5.5 inch lift with blocks and shackle drops
DIESELSITE HEAVYDUTY BOOTS ALL AROUND.
ITP in tank kit-awesome! frame mounted pre-filter
20 in diamo rims-33in toyo A/T

DP-TUNER F6- no start,stock,60 tow codes, 80E codes, 120 race codes
DIY TYMAR with donaldson filter.
AIH cut off
hood insulation removed
always bright overhead display
05 style headlights with 14k HID'S
08 leather front seats
bypass oil system
running on WMO!
DIESEL SITE coolant filtration
Denso HT gear reduction starter. Soo fast!!!

Wish List..... BTS....Stage 3 hybrids.... Push rods and Spings!!
lariat 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

You can replace the turbo yourself in a few hours. Not a bad job. I R&R mine 2x. Once when I replaced the turbo, second when I replaced my up-pipes and rebuilt my pedestal. Really not a bad job at all.
AIS intake.
ISSPRO EV Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans temp.
4" MBRP turbo back.
DP Tuner: 1,200HI, 80E, 120R, 80tow, 60tow.
Overboost Annihilator.
ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor.
IH Bellowed up-pipes.
BTS 4R100. -10/11/2010
diablo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, I was hoping someone could tell me how many hours the book say that it should take. I don't think it is the turbo either. It does rebuild boost and it isn't making any noise or blowing smoke. Due to just having ankle surgery I will not be able to get under the hood to do any work on it for at least 6 weeks, and I'm not sure that I feel confident enough to change it out myself. I took the truck to a local shop that does work on Diesel trucks, I would have taken to the dealer, but if it is the turbo, I don't think they will put on anything but a ford reman. If it is the turbo I'd like to put the Garrett BB on it. Maybe the best thing to do is take it from where it is and drop it off at the dealership to get a second opinion?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
If you can build boost, at any point, your turbo isn't bad. I would maybe look at the wastegate, make sure that the actuator isn't letting the exhaust through when it shouldn't be. Pull the vacuum line to it and wire it shut.

Also, have them pull the intake to the turbo and show you that the shaft has play and that the compressor wheel is contacting the housing. Chances are, it's not.

Then have them put a set of dieselsite boots (all 6) on the CAC tubes and intakes.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks BTBBT, Are the dieselsite boots speical boots? and where do I get them?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Turbo - remove and replace - 2.4 hours

The dieselsite boots don't ooze oil vapor like the stock ones do - it will make for a less greasy engine - you get them at http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...S&Category=627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenscliff View Post
Maybe the best thing to do is take it from where it is and drop it off at the dealership to get a second opinion?
HA HA HA HA - that was a good one. Now seriously, though...
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

Last edited by RT; 03-17-2011 at 07:12 PM.
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks RT
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Yeah, it sounds like you have a bad leak around at least one of the boots in the intercooler tubes. Remove the boots, clean them up squeeky clean, clean the metal tubes at the contact points squeeky clean too. Then put it all back together and tighten the band clamps very tight. That should fix it. You don't need different boots (rubber tubes and new clamps) unless you insist on a squeeky clean engine compartment with no oil mist that attracts dust and turns it into greasy gunk.

But if you want the squeeky clean engine compartment without that oil mist gunk coating the intercooler tubes, then spend the big bucks with Bob Riley's www.dieselsite.com or other vendor that sells the better intercooler boots and clamps.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.