CPS Replacement = Stripped Bolt Head - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
CPS Replacement = Stripped Bolt Head

Last night I was going to replace the CPS and the bolt head is rounded off just enough I can not get it off with a socket. I took it to the dealer this morning and no go there either. The dealer said they could do it but would have to take everything around it out to get at it and said it would be about 2-3 hours of labor. Any suggestions how to get this bolt out so I can replace the CPS and bolt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: CPS Replacement = Stripped Bolt Head

I rarely would recommend such a thing, but you are in a bind. Try driving on a 3/8, 12 point, deep well socket (it is .018 smaller). If the head is messed up enough, you might be able to get the 3/8 socket to bite hard enough to get it off. Otherwise, you will be in for a long weekend.

Early '99 F250 Lariat SC SB 4x4 7.3, 305-70-16's, DP Tuner 6 pos chip, 4" MBRP, BRV+, K&N FIPK, Gauges, Sonnax kit, 3 disc-billet converter, True-Cool, 3.73's, Detroit TrueTrac, Line-X, goose neck, 5er, alignable bumper hitch, AutoEnginuity
westpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you can get a set of vice grips on the head, try using a hammer to hit the vice grips. The vibration of the blows, may break it loose. Just be careful what you hit! I'm not sure how much room you'll have to work with but you might try an easy out. Don't worry about using to much torque (within reason), as it is a small head on a large bolt.
2001 4x4 F-250 58,000+ Miles, 7.3L, Crew Cab, 6-Spd Handshaker. Bought used 09/09. Fold over gooseneck ball. SCMT-1705 on Tow Safe. Gauges: Boost, & Pyrometer. 4" Turbo-back Exhaust. So much I want to do to this one....
TheLoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Most of the time a 6 point 10 mm socket or end wrench will get it off even if it is rounded off.
03 F250 SD PSD Lariat 7.3, FX4 Crew Cab Short Box, 3.73 Gears, Auto Tranny, Jody Tipton 80 HP Econo Tune, Turbo Back 4" Exhaust W/5" Tip, Home Made Tymar, Isspro Gauges, T/C Lock Up Switch, 203 Degree Thermostat, Coolant Filter, Upgraded Headlight Wiring Harness, Diode Mod for Dims, Bilstein Shocks, Kenwood Head Unit, Sirius Radio, Valentine 1
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Foy

Have you tried some penetrant yet?

Give it a good soaking in Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, or similar fluid, and WAIT a good few hours. The do it again and WAIT. Then crank up the truck and run it to full operating temp. Shut it down, hit it AGAIN with penetrant, then attack with the vise grips, Channel Locks, driving a smaller socket over it, or some combination of such efforts. You normally want to do this with the engine cold, but my thinking is that you may need some heat in addition to the penetrant, so an attack with it well soaked and warm may be best.

I have no idea what the effect of penetrant on the CPS unit and associated wiring itself might be, so as best you can, apply to the bolt head as opposed to an overall shower of penetrant in the general area.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

You may want to try the craftsmans head grip set made for stripped bolts. It should work, I have used them many time; click here
wildbill1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Some more options. Look here . These guys ship pretty fast.

Good luck!
'02 PSD XC SB, 4" MBRP SS Duals, DIY Tymar intake, DP F5 (stock-high idle-40-60-80E-120-140), Autometer Phantoms/3 gauge pillar mount, Sonnax/Tricum, Dieselsite BRV+, 200A alternator, Gos Racing lighting harness, Hella Xenon 80/100W bulbs, Duraflaps, LineX spray-on liner
roots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (17)

Find an old socket you dont mind throwing away. Put some JB Weld in it and place it on the bolt to be removed. Wait until it's dry and plug yer ratchet in. If its not seized, and doesn't require a whoile bunch of torque, it should come right off. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Tried the Craftsman bolt off, tried vice grips, used penetrating spray, all a no go. I will try the JB weld idea tommorow. Th dealership did a real number on the bolt. When I tried I stopped as soon as I knew it was rounding the bolt head so I could take it in and have done by a PROFESSIONAL. What a joke! Good news is the truck ran fine today. Didn't die once. That is the funny thing, it did this about 2 months ago, ran like crap for a day, died on me 3-4 time, and then ran fine until yesterday. Today, no problems. Starting to wonder if it really is a CPS problem.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

CPS is a good candidate, however you may want to check your ICP sensor connections just to make sure they arent corroded.

The ICP is the sensor you do the 10k mods too, so click on 10k mod in my sig for a pic of the connector you need to check.

Regardless of the problem, you need to break that bolt loose.

Worse case scenario, you'll need to weld something onto that bolt, or drill it out, or something, because that CPS *will* die if it isnt already the culprit.
Ford_Forgotton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2005, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

If it is the ICP, could that cause my mileage to drop noticably? The truck also started acting up again today after running fine for a week other than decrease mileage, the only difference is today there was a noticable smell of fuel when it stalled at a stop. If the ICP or CPS set a code and the SES light, should they still be stored on the computer when I have the codes read, even though the SES light goes out after restarting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.