The Diesel Stop banner

CPS - What is Really Wrong with the Part?

2K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Coolhand 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I think I am suffering from a bad CPS. The classic dying at idle, stutter on the highway, and arbitrary dying. The beast died once while entering I-95 in Maine just as I was hitting a downhill curve which looped around to get on the highway. Suddenly losing power steering and brakes on a sharp downhill curve is no picnic!

Does anyone have any information on what is actually going wrong with these parts? Is the hall effect sensor being affected by heat? Is the wire bonding on the internal components faulty? Is is simply a defective wiring to the connector of the device?

Somebody is going to get hurt when the CPS fails at the wrong time. I have filed a complaint with the NTSB but no luck so far.

I hate to go to eBay because they suck. eBay does nothing to ensure that sellers with stores ever answer e-mails and eBay does little to let you know that their guarantee of shipment etc. will cost you weeks of effort plus a fee of $25. In short, their guarantee is worth practically nothing. Any other suggestions on where to get the part for a reasonable price?

Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
as the other poster said basicly the cps is a magnet that reads the differnce in magnetic field that changes as the crank turns inside the block, i have been told which by no means do i say this as gospel but it makes sense that the magnet possibly breaks or fractures inside the sensor which in turn throws the whole system off and needless to say if it doesnt get the right signal from the sensor to the computer it wont start or restart for that matter after your crusing down the highway doing 75 in the fast lane........like mine did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif

#4 ·
I see and use Hall Effect sensors commonly in industrial equipment, mostly as rotational checks on large industrial motors. No rotation sensed the power shuts off, a safety feature and sometimes a start up head ache. They rarely fail. However, they are rarely installed directly into a heated object with extreme cycles. In my opinion it is the heat and cycles of heat effect on the amplifier in the sensor not the magnet. I also detest E-bay and the whole Paypal grab your bank account scheme. For 20 bucks one way or the other just buy one from an International dealer or Powerstrokeshop.com

#5 ·
Bingo, what he said. Its the heat that kills them. I really dont think it is a flaw with the sensor, just the fact that the sensor was probably not designed for such extremes that they face. Heat and cool something enough times eventually it will fail(unless its an SR-71/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif). IIRC it is nothing more than a coil of fine wires wrapped around a magnet, eventually enough heat and vibrations can cause the wires to fail. Maybe they should suspend the coil and magnet in a fluid to adsorb the vibrations and add a large heatsink to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Luckily mine has not failed, but I do carry a spare along with the needed tools behind the back seat, JUST IN CASE!

#6 ·
man oh man, I had a major issue with my CPS on my 1999 7.3. I was 100 miles up in the mountains (the Colorado Rockies) when my camshaft position sensor took a dump on me. I hadn't even heard of the part until that day. Had to sit in 100 degree heat without shade until the closest town's mechanic Leonard came to save my ass... at $375.

The problem is, it seems they fail randomly and once they do you are doomed. I was advised to learn how to replace one myself and keep an extra in the glove box. You can get them for about $100 each from an International dealer.

good luck! I bought up to a newer 6.0 (2004) and so far haven't had a single problem.

#7 ·
Paul,

I have a spare (new in box) CPS from my '01 that you can have for $50 (shipping included), if you want.

Dave

#8 ·
I got my last two off ebay without a hitch of a prob

Anyway the National Highway Safety Administration (or whatever they are called) has an ongoing envestigation conerning that pesky little gold mine of Ford's.

Like said before, since no or not many deaths have resuted (that can be proven) from them say la vee or hawever that is spelled

You can go to the web site of that administration if you can figure out the right wording for it and file another add on to the investigation they aleready have opened.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to go to eBay because they suck. eBay does nothing to ensure that sellers with stores ever answer e-mails and eBay does little to let you know that their guarantee of shipment etc. will cost you weeks of effort plus a fee of $25. In short, their guarantee is worth practically nothing. Any other suggestions on where to get the part for a reasonable price?

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I have bought two of off eBay from the same seller. Genuine Ford part in Genuine Ford packaging. Paid $67.90 shipped to my house. Seller was "idealz07". I will continue buying them from this guy as long as they continue to fail. I keep one in the glovebox like many others on this board.

#10 ·
I had mine go with 14 K of trailer and cargo behind it in. a S curve at 50 MPH wasn`t a nice sight,for the driver in the oncomming lane!
54.90 off of e-bay and a call to my lawyer.

Phatrax

I have a GPS eqipped alarm that will not let you shut the vehicle down until the engine is shut down. The Manual states this could be a danger to the truck theif and the motoring public!!

#11 ·
I carry a CPS in my glovebox, had one go at 33K, now at 85K - still ok after 52K miles.... No idea if there was a bad mfg group or what, but the heat cycling may have something to do with this. But, easy to change once you know the drill...

I have same negative opinion of Ebay, had credit card scammed off of paypal, $5000 in charges, spend hours of time - then we ot taken on some ATV wheels and tires - spent hours of time, out $200, no teeth in their enforcement policy.

I canceled my ebay and paypal account. GOod riddance. I will pay the going best price for what I want....

Powerstroke shop.com I think about $100.

CH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.