Cracked Timing Cover -- Help!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked Timing Cover -- Help!!

I just had a major oil leak from a crack in my timing cover right below the surface where the oil reservoir mounts on top. By the way, this is in a early 99' F-250 4x4. My question is two part: How hard is it to replace the timing cover (do i really need to pull the engine), and I also contemplated cleaning the crack really well and just applying JB Weld, i know this isn't probably recomended, but it was just a thought. Any suggestions and instructions would be helpful. FYI, i'm a pretty adventurous mechanic, just got finished pulling and replacing heads in chasis on the same truck, so i'll take on a challenge. Thanks for your help.
georgiadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think that you need to pull the motor...you will need to remove just about everything forward of the heads though. JB weld might be worth a try..I know i would do it in a pinch. How much is it actually leaking? I sure wouldn't want to spring a leak out in the middle of nowhere with a failed JB Weld job.
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

it looks like i need to remove the oil pan, is this true?? If so, how hard is it to re-seal the oil pan in chasis? Is that a gasket or a silicone seal?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

The oil pump pick up is attached to the front cover... so, yes, the pan has to come off. Oil pan gasket is a bead of silicone.

I've heard of guys resealing the oil pan in chassis.... not my cup of tea.... I think it would be difficult to avoid applying too much or not getting a good seal.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

You have to pull the engine, no other way is possible.
POWERSTROKE RACER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm really leaning toward the JB Weld job, but pulling the motor just to get the oil pan off and resealed, just to get the timing cover replaced would be a heck of a project. If i'm not mistaken, the oil inside the timing cover is under low pressure, if i really took my time cleaning the small crack on the timing cover, do you think it would hold with JB Weld?? Or am i just asking to be stranded in the middle of nowhere cause all my oil blew out. If that did happen, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't toast the engine, but merely the injectors would quit firing, right? please let me know what you think, i really can't decide how to repair this.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

At the risk of sounding bad.... there are several ways to "fix" this concern, only one of them is right... depends on your comfort level...

At the very least, you might want to pull the low pressure oil pump and inspect the housing in the front cover (the front cover is the "back" of the oil pump). If this is deeply scored, you may want to change the front cover (at your convenience) to avoid oil pressure or no start issues in the future.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.