Cranks a long time before starting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cranks a long time before starting

My 1999 PSD seems to crank a long time before firing up. I am talking 4-5 seconds. Is that abnormal ? If so what do I do about it. I have had 1 other PSD (1997) and Cummins in the past and they always fired right up.

Thoughts ?
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

What no comments yet ??
Old 01-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
4-5 sec seems just a little long. Mine usually fires after 4-5 compression cycles (guessing 2-3 sec), but sometimes takes longer when it's real cold.

You might have a slight leak in your HP oil system that's delaying the pressure buildup to 500 psi before the injectors are activated. Or it might be a GP issue, which is easy to check. Go up to the FAQ subforum and take a look at the Hard/No Start thread.

If you have a scan tool that will monitor engine parameters, you can check the HP oil pressure by monitoring ICP while cranking.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
4-5 sec seems just a little long. Mine usually fires after 4-5 compression cycles (guessing 2-3 sec), but sometimes takes longer when it's real cold.

You might have a slight leak in your HP oil system that's delaying the pressure buildup to 500 psi before the injectors are activated. Or it might be a GP issue, which is easy to check. Go up to the FAQ subforum and take a look at the Hard/No Start thread.

If you have a scan tool that will monitor engine parameters, you can check the HP oil pressure by monitoring ICP while cranking.
chuck_norris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Fill your sig. in.. Where are you from, cold weather????? Being in a cold environment will affect it and the type of oil you are running in the cold weather. Try switching to a lighter oil if still experiencing hard starts
Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry about the Sig. I am in Kenmore, WA just north of Seattle. The starting issue happens regardless of weather though.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryt View Post
My 1999 PSD seems to crank a long time before firing up. I am talking 4-5 seconds. Is that abnormal ? If so what do I do about it. I have had 1 other PSD (1997) and Cummins in the past and they always fired right up.

Thoughts ?
My dad has a 2000 xl extended cab that has had a long crank since he had it, had 120k when he bought it, never dove into it, but I suspect HPOP oil system problems with it also. He had a no start hot problem. Obvious ipr ring problem, took it out and sure enough had a burnt out o ring, put a new ipr in it because he wan't to just replace the valve while he was there, starts fine hot, but still cranks long.

Only two possibilities if you ask me, low compression, or hpop build slow. I want to replace his hpop but he doesn't want to spend the jingle right now. He DOESN"T have low compression though, it starts fine no matter what the weather, just cranks long. Especially since I put the db electrical starter on, my 97 has always fired on about the second time around, can hardly turn loose of the key before it fires......

1997 PSD 3/4 ton 4x4 SC LWB SRW; 5 spd; 3:55; K&N open element/homemade intake; gutted EBPV piston, plugged hole; 3 in. downpipe; SCMT 1705; shimmed to 70 psi; 120,000; TTB DiPricol 0-60 white face boost gauge, DiPricol 0-1600 white face pyrometer, SOLD in between gauges for now; A-Pillar mount for now. DIY 160cc Injectors.DIY IDM mod. ValAir O-FE w/3400# plate; Front and rear tank filler neck mods

My Pics

Truck Pics -Updated-
johndeerebones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.