Cruise control not working... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cruise control not working...

I have a 2001 Ford F250 7.3L. I've been researching this for a bit today but need to ask what I should try next given my specific situation....

Here's what I know so far...

Wire harness on the steering column looks good, in there good and tight.

No problems with any brake lights, including the third one up on the back of the cab.

The horn works.

Cruise control module connections and cables leading out all look good.

The two fuses that look like they're associated with "speed control" are both good (under the driver side dash) (all fuses look good).

When going 40 mph, when I hit the "on" button for the cruise control, nothing happens. The light does not come on and the cruise control doesn't work.

I removed the harness on the cruise control module and with a neighbor tried to use a multi-meter to test the leads. (female part of the harness, that is pulled out. The needle actually drops down below 0 when we do that. ? (set to 50v DC grounding on an unpainted screw inside the engine compartment)

I know the speed sensor on the rear differential is a possible culprit but that also affects ignition and fuel functions so if nothing is wrong on that front could it still be the speed sensor? (VSS)

Would my air bag light be on if it was the clock spring? It's not on.

Someone just told me about the self-test where you hold the off button on the cruise down then to turn the ignition from run to off rapidly until the cruise light comes on. The cruise light never comes on. I did notice that the ABS light comes on for a moment each time then goes out. And the service engine soon light which I've never seen in the 10 years of owning this truck. Do you think it might be the speed sensor? I read something that said the ABS light points to the speed sensor.

What would you check next?

Thanks very much...

Last edited by cannesdo; 03-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Cruise control module? On your truck, that's the PCM.

The VSS sensor on the differential has nothing to do with ignition and fueling. It just measures the speed of the rear axle and reports that to the ABS module, which then sends that info to the speedometer. Don't look there.

Here are the items that will affect the cruise control
  • The switches on the steering wheel - They're on different circuits than the air bag, so the air bag light isn't a good indicator. The horn also uses a different circuit.
  • The brake pedal position switch
  • The brake pressure switch on the nose of the master cylinder
  • The parking brake switch - Is the brake light on when you push the pedal down? If not the switch may be hanging up and the circuit is always hot but the bulb is burnt out. That would deactivate the cruise function.
  • The Digital Transmission Range Switch on the auto tranny, or the clutch pedal position switch on a manual tranny truck.

If you can get hold of a scan tool that is PowerStroke compatible, you can run the KOER switch test, activating all the switches during the test cycle - the cruise buttons, mash the brake pedal, clutch pedal, accelerator pedal, parking brake, etc. It will report back if a switch fails to change state.

The clock spring in the steering wheel could be at fault, but the KOER switch test will point you at that if it is.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Cruise control module? On your truck, that's the PCM.

The VSS sensor on the differential has nothing to do with ignition and fueling. It just measures the speed of the rear axle and reports that to the ABS module, which then sends that info to the speedometer. Don't look there.

Here are the items that will affect the cruise control
  • The switches on the steering wheel - They're on different circuits than the air bag, so the air bag light isn't a good indicator. The horn also uses a different circuit.
  • The brake pedal position switch
  • The brake pressure switch on the nose of the master cylinder
  • The parking brake switch - Is the brake light on when you push the pedal down? If not the switch may be hanging up and the circuit is always hot but the bulb is burnt out. That would deactivate the cruise function.
  • The Digital Transmission Range Switch on the auto tranny, or the clutch pedal position switch on a manual tranny truck.

If you can get hold of a scan tool that is PowerStroke compatible, you can run the KOER switch test, activating all the switches during the test cycle - the cruise buttons, mash the brake pedal, clutch pedal, accelerator pedal, parking brake, etc. It will report back if a switch fails to change state.

The clock spring in the steering wheel could be at fault, but the KOER switch test will point you at that if it is.
Thanks! The brake lights all work properly. That eliminates the parking brake switch, yes? I added some things to my original post. Also, the speedometer is working normally.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:20 PM

From what I know, there's no self-test where you hold the cruise button and cycle the key. All the lights on the instrument panel are supposed to come on momentarily when you turn the key on. It's there fto check the bulb functioning.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
From what I know, there's no self-test where you hold the cruise button and cycle the key. All the lights on the instrument panel are supposed to come on momentarily when you turn the key on. It's there fto check the bulb functioning.
Here's a link to that info:

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/thre...k-engine.1486/

I just did that test...several times...no cruise light coming on at any point. :/ So that would suggest the off switch isn't communicating with the PCM, wouldn't it?

Last edited by cannesdo; 03-17-2017 at 08:26 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM

That link goes to a discussion in "Ford Windstar" forum. That's a different animal altogether than your truck. I wouldn't trust that to work on a SuperDuty.
As far as that being a definitive test of the off button communication with the PCM, well........

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Sounds like mine!

My 2000 F350 acted exactly like you have described your 250! When I couldn't find the problem myself, and my local mechanic with a SnapOn reader couldn't find the problem, he suggested I go ahead and pay Ford to plug in their reader, and they would tell me what was wrong. Cost me $90 for them to tell me the switches in the steering wheel were defective, they just happened to have a new set they would install for $450+ and forget the $90. I found NOS set of switches on Ebay for cheap. I think it was $55 don't remember for sure, but I certainly love the cruise control.

2000 F350 DRW LARIAT 4X4 AUTO
CREW CAB 150K MILES
DON'TSEE ANY EVIDENCE OF ANY UPGRADES
LAST ONE 1992 F250 XLT
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisymay77 View Post
My 2000 F350 acted exactly like you have described your 250! When I couldn't find the problem myself, and my local mechanic with a SnapOn reader couldn't find the problem, he suggested I go ahead and pay Ford to plug in their reader, and they would tell me what was wrong. Cost me $90 for them to tell me the switches in the steering wheel were defective, they just happened to have a new set they would install for $450+ and forget the $90. I found NOS set of switches on Ebay for cheap. I think it was $55 don't remember for sure, but I certainly love the cruise control.
Oh, great...are those installed via the steering column somehow?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:
That link goes to a discussion in "Ford Windstar" forum. That's a different animal altogether than your truck. I wouldn't trust that to work on a SuperDuty.
As far as that being a definitive test of the off button communication with the PCM, well........
Should probably research it a bit before doubting.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/91...ml#post8315477

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the link. It says, "If the cruise indicator doesn't flash diagnose the cruise indicator." How does one do that? This does make me think that the buttons are just not working.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Should probably research it a bit before doubting.
Cruise Control Dead - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Yep, everything you read on the internet is the absolute truth.

Did you notice that thread was referring to gas engine trucks? Our diesels don't have a cruise control servo, which is what activates the throttle on gas engines. Our diesels are completely drive-by-wire.

I have the Ford Service Manual and it has that test, but nowhere does it refer to diesel engine trucks. It refers to the servo and throttle movement, and nearly all of us know there's no throttle on a diesel.

Until someone gets that procedure to work on a diesel, I'm still doubting it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannesdo View Post
Hey, thanks for the link. It says, "If the cruise indicator doesn't flash diagnose the cruise indicator." How does one do that? This does make me think that the buttons are just not working.
The cruise indicator is the light on the instrument panel. You need to pull the instrument cluster out and check the bulbs.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 03-18-2017 at 11:32 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Doh! Duh.
Was pretty sure did it on a buddy's 6.0.
Best option might be AE.

PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Doh! Duh.
Was pretty sure did it on a buddy's 6.0.
Best option might be AE.

What is AE...?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Autoenginuity.
It's a scantool.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM

I had the same problem a couple years ago with my '02, the cruise quit and I didn't have time to sort it out so I went without it for a while, then the airbag light came on a few weeks later and then the horn quit. It was the clockspring, not all functions will be lost at the same time.

2002 F350 Lariat crewcab 7.3 SRW 4x4 with 4" lift, stainless 4" turbo back Magnaflow Exhaust, DP Tuner, stock /high Idle/40 tow/80 tow, Glowshift pilar 3 guage pod, trans/boost/egt ,285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2's(best tire ever made!) and over 260000 miles on it and still running
strong!

AutoEnginuity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.