Cylinder 8 misfire - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cylinder 8 misfire

Okay so I have a massive dilema here. I'm new to the forum, but not diesel illiterate by any means. I have a 00 Excursion with the 7.3 obviously cause I'm posting in this part of the forum. Well she's got just over 200k miles, so should be breakin in real good now, but she's missing in cylinder 8. I've had it into 3 different shops including the dealership. All 8 injectors have been replaced within the last year, all glow plugs and relays have been replaced, already had the cam sensor go out and had that replaced. It has an Airaid intake on it, and that's it. I did have a superchip on it, but when I had it into the dealership for them to check the computer and reprogram it, the genius's didn't take the chip off before they did that and fried it and ran my batteries down and they were really stupid. But this misfire in cylinder 8 is really weird. I know it's nothing mechanical cause the motor has never been ran really hard or extreme, and like i said, just over 200k miles. And the miss isn't there all the time. I recently replaced the inline fuel pump, had the HPOP tested and it gives good pressure, all the cylinders have optimal psi, and I replaced the Relief pressure valve and spring and even modified the spring to provide a little more fuel line pressure. And it still misses. When you first start it up cold, it runs like a champ, and idles really smooth. but as it starts to warm up and all the way to operating temp, it will miss when you give it a little throttle, but if you floor it then after about 3 seconds it will not miss anymore, it'll be fully engaged after downshifting and it'll take off like normal. (still kinda slow ever since that darn chip has been fried) But then once you get up to speed or if you accelerate like a grandpa and baby it, it'll miss the whole way, sometimes it'll be violent and shake and sometimes you can just hear it, and if you hold it in the sweet spot where it's missing it will go away and come back and go away and keep doing that. I've searched the forums up and down and maybe I missed someone with this same problem. But if anyone has any advice I'm all for it, I could always learn more and I'd love to get this fixed.
michaelf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh and the fuel filter was just recently changed also and the air filter is as clean as ever.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you tried a different injector driver module and replaced the under valve cover injector wiring harnesses?
canadagoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

The light gray CPS that Ford is replacing on recall, sometimes has the tendency to drop out cylinder #8 or #3, or both. Might try changing to another one. The old black orginal one would be a good start, if you can find one. Just a thought. Good Luck.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (80)
Or get the new International CMP/CPS 1876736C91 is the number and it's dark blue.
the old gray CPS is 1876735C91 and is defective, most of them.

Ford has repackaged the International CPS with a new Ford Part Number, F4TZ-12K073-C
get one at Tousley Ford for 18.73

Make a note in the web form to Mike, and he will cut you a deal on the shipping, like 5.00 via the 2-3 day Priority Mail, Mike is a Sponsor here and is the best gent to deal with on all parts from Ford.

At least these new Dark Blue CPS fire on all 8, and have much lower EGT's than the gray junk.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have noticed a similar issue with my 214K mile 00 Excursion way back at 140K miles. It runs strong gets good fuel mileage so not so worried about it really. Back at 140K miles is when the SES light came on and has been on ever since. The three codes mention #8 cylinder. Had a CPS fail at 114 and then again at 124K both from IH. When I put in the last one the housing seemed stripped out a little so have not bothered with the recall.

Have done glow plugs a few years ago but never touched the injectors or valve cover harness's. Never had the compression checked either.

It only seems odd at idle and never misses when running except when low of fuel it will be really sluggish like when you try to run it when 0 or less and it isn't warm. It shakes from time to time too perhaps once a month or less. My wife drives it mainly though.

I talked to my diesel mehchanic about it and he said it could be a bad #8 cylinder and the last one he fixed was around $14K. For that kind of money I could just buy another one! His best advice was to just run it.
02(12/01)Excursion PSD 4x4 Limited Ultimate No Boundaries Edition
00 BMW 328CI 2dr silver fully loaded
65 Mustang 289 V8 4brl, 69 GTO 400 4spd
04&09 PJ 15k dump trailers 04 H&H 9K tilt bed 98 Haulmark 7x14 enclosed 07 Dreamshak Hydraulic 20ft toy hauler/fish house.
86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

The CPS seems to be one of the usual suspects in a whole raft of ills, of the 7.3 powerstroke. Its almost able to be classified with the GEM module of the 99 to 01, powerstrokes, for weird things going on, with these engines.
Ford's recall CPS, that was light gray, has been more than a pain. Its caused more problems, than it cured. Only thing good about it, that I can really tell, it doesn't just die, and leave you on the side of the road. But, if your engine doesn't run, or run well, you are going to take another means of transportation. I guess that is called solving the problem.
Out of the three gray ones that I own. I have found one, that actually passes the contrib. test. I was amazed, so, I am running it, compared to an old black one that I have. So far, its a little quieter, a little smoother, and fuel milage hasn't been hurt. I guess I will see how far it takes me.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the input. We've had the recall done for the CPS a year or two back when it wouldn't start and we were 5 hours away at the sand dunes :/ Could that still be the culprit? Heck they're cheap enough I might as well try, thanks for referring to that page van, it looks like he's got some good deals going on!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Okay so I happened to have the old CPS from when it was replaced. So I put it in, and it runs totally different. Throttle response is a little better, it starts quicker and easier. The misfire is hardly even present. So I'm gunna order a new one from Tousley Ford and hope that's really what'll do it! Thanks for the help guys
Old 05-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

so i bought that new cps from tousley, installed it, and the motor runs a lot better than before. however........ that dreaded misfire is still there. I'm fresh out of ideas now, and i swear it can't be anything mechanical on the internals, cause it's not always there, and the engine doesn't make any abnormal noises. how likely could it be that the guys that checked my injectors didn't notice a leaking o ring or something??
Old 08-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have the same exact problem as you and nothing has worked so far and no one can figure out why it misfires. Did you have any luck?
ffmozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Misfire

Mine too. I ordered the modded IDM from Swamps. I'll let you know if that works. I'm at wits end myself. My injectors are new, uvch, hpop, ipr, and icp. The IDM is the only other thing it could be unless I just got really unlucky with the new injectors... Please let me know if you figure it out. The noise is embarrassing!!!
CHATCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Help

Help I have the same problem. Did y'all get it fixed. My excursion is a 2000 with only 122k
calen84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

did you get your problem figured out? I alsohave the same problem
chuck de is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

anyone ever fix their problems? i got it too, only worse. ive changed the #8 injector and the other 3 injector o-rings as well. new uvch, icp,blah blah blah..you get the idea of what ive done. now i cant even get the code read. hopefully its just because of the scanner i used.
catfish71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.