The Diesel Stop banner

Delo 400 LE CJ-4 or CK-4

24K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  444-4D 
#1 · (Edited)
Looked around town today and the only Delo 15W-40 anywhere to be found was CK-4 at $12.67 per gallon. I have read about this until I am blue in the face and just have to ask, Is this ok to run in my good old 7.3? I am no to excited about Fords PC-11 if I have read the correct info. I have always ran Delo in this truck and it seems to prefer it over Rotella
Bill

#2 ·
I just checked on the Ford website of approved 15W-40 Motor Oils and I do not see any Chevron Delo 400 product on the approved list.

I do see Rotella T-5 15W-40 in the latest CK-4 rating IS APPROVED.

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

Heck, even the Chevron website only lists a CJ-4 for the Delo 400LE:

Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 | Chevron Lubricants

And the SDS link from that Chevron page opens to this description and no CK-4 is referenced:

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=415568&docFormat=PDF

#3 · (Edited)
Bill,

I am wore out on this subject as well but could you post a photo of that bottle that says CK-4 ?

Even the Wal-Mart website only lists a CJ-4 for the 15W-40.

What color is the bottle?
If it is blue then I can only find Dino DELO 400 LE CJ-4.
If it is silver then its a Synblend called DELO 400 XLE and is CK-4.

Thanks

#4 ·
I did not buy any yet but the stuff Wal-Mart had was in the typical blue 1 gallon Delo bottle the label changed though. Label is now red, white and some blue. I'll take a run down there tomorrow and check it out again.
Bill

#5 ·
#6 · (Edited)
#7 · (Edited)
I found the Ford Oil List and there are at least 100 15W-40 oils listed, a whole bunch of oils I didn't recognize and no Delo at all. I decided to stop looking for it here locally and go to the internet and save gas and time. I found Delo 400 LE 15W-40 CJ-4 all over the place. Ordered enough for about two years worth of oil changes. Here's the kicker, got it through Wal-Mart.com same price as the store plus free shipping so I am set for now.
What I do not understand is why isn't this getting more attention here or on other Diesel Web Sites, am I over reacting to this like I am apt to do??
Thanks to you ArcticDriver for the help and the info.
Bill

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#8 ·
What I do not understand is why isn't this getting more attention here or on other Diesel Web Sites, am I over reacting to this like I am apt to do??
Thanks to you ArcticDriver for the help and the info.
Bill
Bill,

OCD is "obsessive-compulsive Disorder".

OCA is "obsessive-compulsive Advantage".

Just depends on how you want to look at it. :winking:

#9 ·
BTW, I heard from Chevron and they said they will not be changing the Delo 400 SE in the 5W-40 until later this summer if anyone uses that full synthetic then they still have some time to stock up.

#10 ·
Do not try and buy any Delo 400LE 15W-40 in the API CJ-4 from Wal-Mart. I ordered some and they shipped me all CK-4 type. :frown2: I called them and asked if they still had any and could I still order it with a, Do Not Substitute Flag on the order. They said no. I managed to find some Delo in two and a half gallon size so I am set no thanks to Wal-Mart. Now I asked the Auto Service Manager at Wal-Mart and our local Ford Dealer about the CK-4 oil, neither new about it. I guess Ford uses their own oil anyway.
Bill

#11 · (Edited)
So Wal-Mart shipped you something other than 400 LE ?

You should see if you can find any Mystik brand JT-8 out your way. Its offered in 2-gallon jugs at a decent price and has a great additive package.

Tractor Supply carries it.

#12 · (Edited)
#13 ·
Yes, they shipped me 9 gallons of the new CK-4 rated stuff. The person on the phone said they do that whenever they don't have exactly what I ordered. I was interested in how they determined that the CK-4 was a good replacement, they didn't look at that part. They only went as far as Delo 400LE 15W-40. I guess I cannot get upset over that because not many people know about Ford saying the new CK-4 is not suppose to be used in their diesel engines.
Bill

#14 ·
I was informed by a Chevron Lube Rep just last week that the 400 LE in CK-4 would not be released until later this year so I am surprised that Wal-Mart carried a jug with CK-4 rating.

The Advanced Auto jugs are CJ-4.

#15 ·
anyone know when shell started packaging ck-4 oil I got 4gal of rotella t6 in new jugs cj-4/sm package date of sept 12/16 at home depot also who carries mystik 5/40 tractor supply hear only has 15/40

#18 ·
From my reading, 9/12/16 might very well be the old CJ-4 formula but the only way to be certain is with a Oil Analysis or maybe a Shell representative could tell you by the IPC.

That is real interesting about the Home Depot carrying Mystik 5/40 down by you. I appreciate your letting me know.

#16 · (Edited)
Bill,

OCD is "obsessive-compulsive Disorder".

OCA is "obsessive-compulsive Advantage".

Just depends on how you want to look at it.

Halaluiah on that..

Has never been said better..

#19 ·
And for the record Traildust, I have just looked at the Wal-Mart website and every single Delo 400 LE that they sell in 5W-40, 15W-40 and even 10W-30 each continue to show CJ-4/SM and this supports what the Chevron Lubricants Technician had told me.

Once again, I wonder if you are mistaking XLE instead of LE ?

For the benefit of other forum members, these are two different products and the LE is approved for our Powerstrokes...the XLE is not.

#20 · (Edited)
ArcticDriver, my comment was not directed at you. I do appreciate all the help you have given me, you seem to be the only one who hasn't gotten fed up with my OCD. Thanks very much for your help.
I don't know what Wal-Mart did but they did show Delo 400SDE CK-4 a couple of days ago and they did ship me 9 gallons of the same. The store here in Fallon,NV has the CK-4 on the shelves and no CJ-4.
Thanks Again,
Bill

Late entry on edit, the CK-4 stuff I had and the local store here has is SDE not LE. My mistake.

#21 ·
got rotella at home depot mystik was at tractor supply but only 15/40

#22 ·
I just called Chevron tech dept & they said they have to meet EPA standards & thus the change. I would think if that were true then all the oil companies will be doing this. ( reducing zink & phosphorus from leaching into the environment. ) He did state the LE is still available in bulk. I asked if the LE is compatible with the CK-4 and YES it is. He claims they are still testing 10 new fords with the 6.7 and at 100k no signs unusual or abnormal wear wear, and they are currently working on running up to 200k. This is why the Ford is not listed on the bottle yet.

#23 ·
I think what he said is a backwards explanation but true in a sense.

The car and truck manufacturers have to meet ever more stringent EPA standards and so the motor oil companies "choose" to update their formulas so that they remain relevant and retain market share.

The EPA standards are not directly applied to the motor oil companies IIRC.

I wish some decisions would be made soon because there is a supply of 5-gallon buckets of DELVAC-1 nearby in both CJ-4 and CK-4 at a very good price (same $$ as DELO 400 LE 5w40) and I don't want them to get away but I don't know which one I should buy. The tried & true CJ-4 or the possibly new & improved CK-4?:grin2:

#24 ·
was in advance auto seen carquest 5/40 full synthetic cj-4 $24.99 gal articdriver whats your thoughts on this oil also doing great job on keeping us informed on this ck-4 mess thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.