Die Hard Platinum Batteries - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Die Hard Platinum Batteries

Are they worth the 189.99 price tag?

1993 Ford idi with factory turbo, ats housing and 3 inch dp, 4 inch lift, 35x12.50 bfg all terrians, aero turbine exuast, home made air intake, cobalt pryo and boost guages, 5 speed, 280,000 miles
707powerstoke250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Who knows? What kind of cranking amps and cold cranking amps do they deliver?

You can probably get a MotorCraft battery exactly like what came in your truck for less than that, and they are good batteries.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

930 CC

135 RC

4 year replacement 100 month prorated

1993 Ford idi with factory turbo, ats housing and 3 inch dp, 4 inch lift, 35x12.50 bfg all terrians, aero turbine exuast, home made air intake, cobalt pryo and boost guages, 5 speed, 280,000 miles
Old 04-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
RT

My Photos: (0)
I used to buy Sears DieHard batteries all the time - until they priced themselves out of the market. Not necessarily because they had a better battery, but because the return policy was easier.

While I am very ashamed to admit this, when I recently replaced my batteries, the wholesale parts house had the Motorcraft batteries for 90 bucks, and AC-Delco for 70. The Delco battery had 850 CCA, so I went with that. I really expected my truck to have an allergic reaction, but so far so good. It cranks as fast as a jet engine. I guess now I can say I have a hybrid vehicle.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707powerstoke250 View Post
Are they worth the 189.99 price tag?
Those are Odyssey batteries. I recently (a couple of months ago) replaced the batteries in my truck. I would have bought those batteries if I could have gotten the Odyssey branded ones for that price. Sears owes me money so I don't buy anything from them.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

batteries

okay, just MHO, but why would anyone pay $200 (with tax) for a battery that can be bought at wally world or costco for $79?? DH batteries used to be the best for the $$, but they are just another over-priced car item now.

When you consider that you should replace your batteries in pairs...do you really want to shell out $410??????

again, just my opinion....
Early '99 F250 XLT 7.3 ext cab, SB, 4x4, auto tranny, 153K miles, completely stock. Installed GlowS**t gauges (never again!) and DIY air filter, Tru Kool trans cooler, 4" exhaust, 50 HP chip. Tows 10K 5th wheel.
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
okay, just MHO, but why would anyone pay $200 (with tax) for a battery that can be bought at wally world or costco for $79??
I believe they are a better quality battery that you can buy at Walmart or Costco.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
yea every time I get something from walmart I kick myself because it never lasts...lol I got some new batteries from oreilly they are 860 cca and I got a good deal on them at $80 each and have a 3 year full replacement you can buy the ford ones for $129 each
2003 f250 cc auto airaid stage 2,no muffler (new 5 inch exhaust asap), automeater gauges, 2005 grille, ,2.5 leveling kit, Tekonsha P3 Electric Brake Control, pioneer navigation system, looking for my chip now

what I need (want lol) ; air horns, new tires, chip,cab lights,new shocks, 6.0 inner cooler, that's it so far lol

7.3 FACTS
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html

Over 2 million 7.3 liter Power Stroke equipped Ford trucks are in operation. That's more than Chevrolet, GMC, and Dodge diesel equipped trucks combined.
03fordf250tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback, I decided to go with Duralast Golds. 200 bucks for a pair sounded a lot better then the 400 for the Diehards.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean623
I'm running Die Hard Platinum's in both my truck and my wife's 1997 OBS PSD. They stay clean, one Platinum starts my truck better than 2 Motorcraft's ever did. I didn't used to believe in them, but now I won't buy anything else.
My Truck: 2002 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCab long bed 7.3L PSD. DP F5 Tuner, Glowshift pyrometer, water temp and boost gauges, aFe Magnum Force State 2 Intake with Pro-Dry S Media, Magnaflow 4" turbo-back stainless exhaust, Sony MEX-BT3800, Pioneer speakers, Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Sony Low Profile Sealed Subwoofer System (1200w), Toyo Open Country A/T 285/75-16 tires, Randy Ellis Designs light bar, Fumoto quick drain valve, CCV Mod, 2005-07 lower dash with upfitter switches. Purchased in September 2008 with 90,620 miles on the clock from the orig owner.

Wife's Truck: 1997 Ford F-250 XL SuperCab long bed 7.3L PSD. 6637 mod, Glowshift pyrometer, trans temp and boost gauges, MBRP 3" downpipe 4" back SS exhaust, Explorer overhead console, Explorer auto-headlights, Kenwood head unit, Kenwood KSC-SW1, BF Goodrich All Terrain 285/75-16 tires. Purchased in March 2009 with 273,500 miles on the clock.

Other vehicles:
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2005 Kawasaki KLR-650
DeLorean623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
I believe they are a better quality battery that you can buy at Walmart or Costco.
Not sure on Walmart and don't know the difference in quality but it's hard to beat Costco's price and return policy for batteries. I've been running them in all my vehicles for 15 years and haven't had to return one yet.

Just so you know....you can also return a battery when it gets close to the pro-rate date by just saying it's bad and receive a new one. They don't test em.

The main thing you should pay attention to is the expiration date on the battery. They are supposed to be rotated, but sometimes aren't and can sit on the rack for a long time.

Disclaimer- I am a former Costco employee and current stockholder.
Northcountrywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountrywood View Post
Not sure on Walmart and don't know the difference in quality but it's hard to beat Costco's price and return policy for batteries. I've been running them in all my vehicles for 15 years and haven't had to return one yet.

Just so you know....you can also return a battery when it gets close to the pro-rate date by just saying it's bad and receive a new one. They don't test em.

The main thing you should pay attention to is the expiration date on the battery. They are supposed to be rotated, but sometimes aren't and can sit on the rack for a long time.

Disclaimer- I am a former Costco employee and current stockholder.
I don't consider how easy it is to cheat a company out of a replacement battery. I don't even give warranty much consideration. I purchase batteries for the purpose of starting my truck.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
I don't consider how easy it is to cheat a company out of a replacement battery. I don't even give warranty much consideration. I purchase batteries for the purpose of starting my truck.
How is it cheating the company if it's their policy?
Northcountrywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm in the lead industry. I work for the #1 lead producer in the US The best battery making companies in my book are either Johnson Controls (Optima, Duralast, Interstate, ProStart, and Everstart) Yuasa, or East Penn (Deka).

I know what goes into a battery, and I know how the companies make them, and I run gold top duralasts in everthing I own except for the Harley which has a Yuasa. Read into that what you will.

However, buying a battery from any of those manufactures as opposed to an chineese battery will help support the livelyhood of the nearly 2000 Americans that mine, smelt and process lead in my company, and the others people who work for the battery companies. If you choose to buy from those companies, I, and my co-workers, thank you.

tim

On edit: I should point out that even though Johnson Controls makes all those brands, they are NOT the same in terms of quality. Each customer has different requirement to the composition of the alloys in the batteries. Generally more expensive is more durable. I personally avoid the Wal-Mart everstart like the plauge. They have the cheapest (and softest) plates and do not hold up over time.

Yup. It'll do...

LEAD BUYS MY BREAD

Last edited by Cowracer; 04-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

lead buys your bread?? my possible hi-jack item

Great comments, well-presented, and sensible. But, I made an interesting observation, and it's not meant as a complaint. You obviously would like people to buy American made batteries because they help the "2000 or so people" in the American lead industry, yet you drive a Toyota and a Suzuki Samurai? Whether purchased new or used, or actually made in the USA or not, there is a positive offshore impact throughout the life of those vehicles.

Myself, I believe we make America better when we buy the best-value or best-made item, foreign or domestic. If Americans had never flocked to buy Toyota and Datsun/Nissan vehicles when the Big Three were turning out cars and trucks that hardly left the dealer lot before they started falling apart, the Big Three never would have improved their product to what it is today. American autos compete very well with imports now because the U.S. auto industry lost it's butt to a better product in the 70's. Same thing is true of the personal computer industry and one Bill Gates. His product may not have been the best, but it was the best value, and it was perceived that way the world over.

Market-driven economics and Supply & Demand will always create better products overall than "Buy American" slogans. When people pledge allegiance to their home-grown items, and those items are not made better or represent a better value than foreign items, those people will eventually wind up with the Zil, the Beta-max, the Packard-Bell computer, the DeSoto, and the Hillman, just to name a few. This is not related in any way to the fine battery brands you listed, and should not be taken as critical of the American battery maker.

jim
Early '99 F250 XLT 7.3 ext cab, SB, 4x4, auto tranny, 153K miles, completely stock. Installed GlowS**t gauges (never again!) and DIY air filter, Tru Kool trans cooler, 4" exhaust, 50 HP chip. Tows 10K 5th wheel.
buckmeister2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.