diesel fuel in coolant tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diesel fuel in coolant tank

I have a friend that has a 1999 F350 7.3 and has diesel fuel in the radiator fill tank. Any ideas? Maybe cracked injector tube or o rings.Any ideas on how to find which cylinders are affected? Thanks for any help. Tommy
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Uh oh, this usually means cracked injector cups or head gasket. Usually its the injector cups if you have diesel in the coolant.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hey there, im going through the same thing. just went to do a coolant flush and found diesel in the overflow tank.

I am going to replace all 8 injector cups, so i don't have to go through this again in 3 more months.

im am going to have the injectors tested to make sure that they were not damaged by the coolant.

The shop that i am taking it too doesn't have to pull the heads because they have a special tool to pull the injector cups(coppers).

if you or the repair shop doesn't have this tool, then you have to pull the heads to get the coppers out. thats when things start getting expensive. lots of labor there.

coolant flush when the motors all buttoned up, flush it really good. replace your rad. cap as well because the diesel will eat the gaskets and stuff.
PDR Super GTP Turbo

Blue Oval Loyalist
V8 for life
JSlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Same tools required, heads on or off. Well to be truthful, 90% of the tools are the same...the important ones.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

As stated above by KANMAN it sounds like an injector cup is bad. My 2003 Excursion (80kmiles) has the same problem, smell fuel in the truck because it was over flowing at the coolant reservoir but the truck ran fine and is not overheating. Ford just confirmed it is the injector cup and will have to pull the engine to determine which one, lucky its under warranty for 3 more months.

Last edited by dodsonb210; 04-07-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: correcting font
dodsonb210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2008, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I have a 2001 F-450 7.3 PSD. I was pulling a trailer from CA to TN and had the same problem - injector cup leaking fuel into overflow. I had the cups and injector O-rings replaced, but then had the issue of having the radiator and a couple of cooling hoses start to leak. The shop told me that it was because the diesel had eaten away at the O-rings. I checked with Ford and two other shops and both confirmed that diesel can eat away at the O-rings and the gasket material between the tank and radiator (would only hold about 6 - 7 lbs pressure). Since the truck was over 100k miles and all original, I replaced the radiator, water pump and hoses as I did not want any future problems. When replacing the injuector cups they did not have to remove the heads either.
Good luck with yours.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
little update on my situation.

took it into the repair shop(not ford) and had them do the work. took about 2 weeks to get the truck back, but that was because the injectors had to be shipped out to get tested. one injector was bad, so had it rebuilt and the rest of them gone through and cleaned up. got the truck back and all is well now. have had it back for a couple weeks now and the coolant is still clean!!
PDR Super GTP Turbo

Blue Oval Loyalist
V8 for life
JSlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

1999 f-250 diesel

I bought my son a 1999 f-250. We found fuel in the coolant system. I've had Ford and a private diesel mechanic look at it and am being told 4k - 6k to fix. They say it has a injector cup leaking maybe two. they say it needs to have the cylinders machined, replace cups and injectors, hoses, thermostat and what ever along with the coolant flushes. Won't know if heads are cracked until compression check he said? I paid 11k for the truck 6 months ago. Is this worth the cost to repair? Any advise?
smurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray View Post
I bought my son a 1999 f-250. We found fuel in the coolant system. I've had Ford and a private diesel mechanic look at it and am being told 4k - 6k to fix. They say it has a injector cup leaking maybe two. they say it needs to have the cylinders machined, replace cups and injectors, hoses, thermostat and what ever along with the coolant flushes. Won't know if heads are cracked until compression check he said? I paid 11k for the truck 6 months ago. Is this worth the cost to repair? Any advise?
If they really feel the need to go that deep (pull heads and check for cracks) then they're being over-cautious, IMO. If it's just cracked injector cups, those can be replaced without even pulling the heads. A cracked injector cup won't necessarily mean a crack in the head. 7.3L's typically don't have problems with heads, except for the injector cups. How many miles on the truck? If it's under 250k, then the injectors are probably OK, but might be worth checking at that mileage.

Replacing all 8 injector cups is a full day or maybe a little more. What's needed is the injector cup tools, the injector cups themselves, a set of injector o-rings, and not much else. Replacing hoses is a good idea as well, but not that big a deal to do. The heater hoses are probably the biggest PITA, with the quick connects to the heater core. You should probably do an oil change after the injector R&R as well just for good measure.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
You will also need some special tools if you decide to do the job yourself.

Rosewood Diesel Shop has them and a how too do it on their web site. Click on injector sleeve tools when you open up their site.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had same issue at 206,000 miles on mine. Had all 8 cups replaced, and all 8 glo plugs, o-rings and hoses. My Ford wrench man did it in a few hours. We ran the truck with Simple Green in the coolant system to clean it out, then replaced all hoses. 5-6k is a high estimate. Doubt there is head damage. Worth the fix for me for sure. Injectors were all fine, and still pushing over 20# boost when done. 200,000 is a mid point on these trucks if taken care of, fix it ! You don't want a newer version in my opinion.

Shortbus
RiffRaff 6637 Filter Kit
Diablo Programmer
Warn Premium Hubs
BFG 285x75xR16
Viar 450c Compressor and Tank
Heater Plug Mod - Foil Delete Mod
203 Degree Themo, Billet Housing
As of 01/01/14 = 254,000 miles

SOLD
1994 F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel IDI
4x4 Standard Cab LWB Hunter Green XL
171,000 miles going strong
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.