differential fluid change - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
differential fluid change

Seems to be pretty straight forward procedure to do both front and rear. Is there anything special I need to know? What are the capacities front and rear? What's a good fluid to use?

Thanks

Craig

2L Motorsports transmission (Precision 3 disk converter, valve body, upgraded clutches), V10 tranny cooler, TS chip, MBRP 4" exhaust, 4" to 5" tip, Auto Meter Z Series Boost, Pyro and Tranny, Poor Man's DIY intake, Boost Relief Valve, Crank Case Vent routed under truck, AIH plug

Both powered by 2L Motorsports
2L Who??

www.FOKISD.org
CraigPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Re: differential fluid change

Go to Guzzle's page and go down near the bottom under "Maintenance." This guy took a lot of time for these how-tos and they are quite good.
2002 F-250 Lariat 4X4 Auto PSD CC SRW. Banks 4" Monster Exh, aFe Stage II w/PG 7, TAG II + Hi-Perf Comp Wheel, X-Monitor, SCMT 1705, fuel tank and pre-pump mods, harpooned tank, Zoodad air, always bright overhead, fuel regulator shim, HX oil hose, 2003 Lighted Mirrors, 203* T Stat, Rancho 9000XLs, C-Btr Mirrors, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, Brakesmart and Titan V. 6.0 Tranny Cooler, door seal mod, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, HIDs installed in '05 headlights.

My Pictures
JonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just did mine Friday night. Pretty straightforward. Guzzles page is excellent.
I used Royal Purple 75-140, got it at NAPA for 9.98 per Quart, and it takes 3.5 quarts.
I used the "Ultra Black" permatex silicone.
I didn't powdercoat my cover like Guzzle did, but I did clean it and paint it with Rustoleum.
I only did mine because it is close to 100k and I didn't think it had ever been changed. When I popped the cover off it confirmed to me that it had never been changed!

I haven't done the front yet. Just the rear. Hope this helps!
Randy
2001 F350 Lariat PSD, 4x4, 4DR CC SB, purchased 2/27/07. Edge Evolution CS for monitoring only installed 1/2014 (replaced Edge EZ), Ford AIS intake with Fender Sleeve (added 4/2/07), ZooDad mod (7/14/07), Pillar Gauges (ISSPRO) EGT, Trans Temp and Boost (added 3/21/07), Dynomax 4" turbo back exhaust (added 3/9/07), 2 inch leveling kit, 285/70-17 Toyo Open Country II's (12/2013 replaced 35" BFG's), Huskyliner floor mats, Rear Airbags, TopDeck Tonneau Cover (added 4/3/07), Excursion "Hush Panels" under the dashboard. Factory Forged Rods, 25 row 6.0 Trans Cooler upgrade, added 8/27/09. Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares and chrome door handles/mirrors (4/2014), DP-Tuner w/60TowHeavy, Decel, 80TowLight, 80Daily, 80DailyMountains and 120hpRace installed 5/15/2014.
N_E_T_O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

very easy job, just add as little of the additive as it takes to make the chatter go away. Mine too 4 oz, Ford calls for 8 no wonder why most of their LS don't work??
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Guzzle's page and go down near the bottom under "Maintenance." This guy took a lot of time for these how-tos and they are quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link Jon!

Craig

2L Motorsports transmission (Precision 3 disk converter, valve body, upgraded clutches), V10 tranny cooler, TS chip, MBRP 4" exhaust, 4" to 5" tip, Auto Meter Z Series Boost, Pyro and Tranny, Poor Man's DIY intake, Boost Relief Valve, Crank Case Vent routed under truck, AIH plug

2L Who??

www.FOKISD.org
Old 03-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

Did mine about eight months ago and should have waited longer between reinstalling the cover (with uncured silicone) and filling the diff with fluid. I think I would wait overnight for the silicone to cure if I had to do it over again as I developed a hanging drip last week. I don't think the silicone will cure where submerged in oil? Oh well, this has given me a good excuse to get a Mag-Hytec while I'm re-replacing all those $$'s worth of synthetic fluid...

Previous Trucks:

- 1986 F-250 RC/LB XL 4x4 6.9l (Sold)
- 2004 F350 CC/LB DRW KR 4x4 6.0l (Totaled)
- 2000 F250 SC/SB XLT 4x4 7.3l (Sold)
- 2006 F250 CC/SB Lariat 4x4 6.0l (Stolen)
- 2003 F250 CC/SB XLT 4x4 6.0l (Sold)
- 1969 F100 RC/LB XL 4x4 360ci (Sold)
troy520 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

You should be able to reuse the fluid if it's only been in 8 months.

Another way to loosen the cover (besides the scraper) is to hit it lightly with a dead-blow hammer. A couple of light raps is usually all it takes to start the oil flowing.

In my experience a drip leak is not caused by the RTV not curing, but by incomplete coverage of the sealing surfaces (e.g., not getting the old silicone off, or not completely surrounding the bolt holes. I usually let it set for 20 minutes before reinstalling the cover.

99 Jeep TJ / lockers / 37s
KVOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

No problem. When I do mine in the next few weeks, I'm going to use the Royal Purple like some of the other guys. It has the friction modifier in it already so you don't have to fool with that part of the job.

Yes, I'm lazy.
2002 F-250 Lariat 4X4 Auto PSD CC SRW. Banks 4" Monster Exh, aFe Stage II w/PG 7, TAG II + Hi-Perf Comp Wheel, X-Monitor, SCMT 1705, fuel tank and pre-pump mods, harpooned tank, Zoodad air, always bright overhead, fuel regulator shim, HX oil hose, 2003 Lighted Mirrors, 203* T Stat, Rancho 9000XLs, C-Btr Mirrors, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, Brakesmart and Titan V. 6.0 Tranny Cooler, door seal mod, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, HIDs installed in '05 headlights.

My Pictures
Old 03-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)

Where did you get your Mag Hytek cover? I need to change my fluids and wouldn't mind a new cover either.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
Where did you get your Mag Hytek cover? I need to change my fluids and wouldn't mind a new cover either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Several sponsors sell them - including
http://www.dieselsite.com/
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Suggested option, ""NOT RECOMMENED" here by the TDS boys...

Just get yourself a cheap hand pump from Wal-mart, marine dept. $15.00...pump out about as much as you can...may 2.5 qts..replace with Royal Purple, ""WHAT YOU CAN"...drive for awhile....>>>""REPEAT""<<< procedure in a couple of weeks.....

YAHH!!!! You use a couple more qts of grease..."BUT"" each operation only takes ""MINUTES AND NO MESS"""

>>>START FLAMING AWAY<<<<
Old 03-21-2007, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for your help guys. What weight oil should I use for front and rear?

Craig

2L Who??

www.FOKISD.org
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

75W-140 for the rear.

75W-90 for the front.

Use synthetic stuff....like the Royal Purple [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Pictures
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
Suggested option, ""NOT RECOMMENED" here by the TDS boys...

Just get yourself a cheap hand pump from Wal-mart, marine dept. $15.00...pump out about as much as you can...may 2.5 qts..replace with Royal Purple, ""WHAT YOU CAN"...drive for awhile....>>>""REPEAT""<<< procedure in a couple of weeks.....

YAHH!!!! You use a couple more qts of grease..."BUT"" each operation only takes ""MINUTES AND NO MESS"""

>>>START FLAMING AWAY<<<<

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all the quickie lube boys do. They put the fill hose to the bottom of the diff and pump in fresh lube - the old lube overflows out the fill hole.

Guaranteed both methods leave some crud in the bottom of the diff, but the diff has room at the bottorm for it. These options are MUCH better than doing nothing which is what most people do when faced with the task of removing the cover and having to seal it back up.
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Did mine 2 weeks ago. Super easy...but can be messy. Be sure to have some plastic down.
2001 PSD Excursion 4x4 Limited 7" Superlift Softride lift, 315/75/16 Toyo M/T, Fox shocks, Hellwig rear sway-bar, Air-lift airbags, Autometer Ultra Lite tranny/pyro gauges, DP tuner, Swamps 175/146 single shots, Wicked Wheel, AFE Progard 7, 4" turbo-back exhaust, John Woods tranny w/ 6.0 billet TC, and T/C lock-up switch, Tru-Cool Max tranny cooler. Topped off by Jody's famous tunes.

Audio System: Eclipse 8053 head unit, Arc Audio XXK4050 amp, Arc Audio XXK1500 amp, 6" Morel Integra, JL12w6v2.
WannabePSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.