driveline roar in a dually.... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
driveline roar in a dually....

been progressivly getting worse over time and thought it might be my old wore out tires...just put a new set of michelins on tonight and its still there and maybe a tad worse.....grabbed a hold of my driveshaft while the guy had it up on the lift tonight, and it had a pretty good amount of play in it....id say a quarter inch or so....is that normal ?? any ideas ?? thanks alot...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: driveline roar in a dually....

i'd say no, you shouldn't be able to move your driveshaft at all. now figure out if the slop is from bad ujoints, bad bearings in either the tail shaft of the tranny or pinion bearing of the rear diff, the carrier bearing, or just a loose pinion nut on the rear diff.
Pics of the Molerat
Pics of the Red Devil
R_S_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a 99 250 single rear and mine has the same roar about 65 and up, took it to the dealer and they said it was tire noise, but I know what my truck sounds like the last 60000 miles and it is not tire noise. I think it is pinion bearing but dealer said if they tear it down and dont find any thing it will not be covered by warranty. If you find out what it is let me know.
cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

anybody else?? how much play in the driveshaft
Old 03-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There should not be ANY front to back play in the driveshft at all. If you grab the driveshaft and pull it away from the rear diff and the pinion yoke moves that 1/4" you described, one (or both) of your pinion bearings is shot. I just had to replace mine to the tune of $1000.00 (after bearings,seals and labor)...

So, you have to determine WHAT is moving before we can help.

Jim
2000 F-350 7.3L 4X4 CC PSD LWB DRW, Diesel Innovations BD-4 Chip, BTS rebuilt Transmission, 5" Exhaust, TC Lock switch, Autometer A-Pillar Gauges, Detroit Locker in back,Air-Lift bags, Dual tranny coolers, Wix Prepump F/W separator, Fumoto Valve, Marinco Plug, Zoodad mod, APC billet grille.
jamming4jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There should not be ANY front to back play in the driveshft at all. If you grab the driveshaft and pull it away from the rear diff and the pinion yoke moves that 1/4" you described, one (or both) of your pinion bearings is shot. I just had to replace mine to the tune of $1000.00 (after bearings,seals and labor)...

So, you have to determine WHAT is moving before we can help.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]....no front to back play i could tell....looks like the play is coming from the tranny side of the driveshaft.... just a little chuk, chuk sound from there when i rolled the shaft and a quarter inch of play ......whats the deal with that end of it ??
Old 03-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a u-joint to me. I'd pull the driveshaft and check ALL of them.

Jim
2000 F-350 7.3L 4X4 CC PSD LWB DRW, Diesel Innovations BD-4 Chip, BTS rebuilt Transmission, 5" Exhaust, TC Lock switch, Autometer A-Pillar Gauges, Detroit Locker in back,Air-Lift bags, Dual tranny coolers, Wix Prepump F/W separator, Fumoto Valve, Marinco Plug, Zoodad mod, APC billet grille.
jamming4jim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2006, 04:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a u-joint to me. I'd pull the driveshaft and check ALL of them.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]...................any way to check em without pullin the shaft ???
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Iv'e never had constant noise from U-Joints, even when they were shot and had alot of play in them. Worn U- joint noise is identified by a clunk when shifting from drive to reverse (or vice versa). The only constant noises Iv'e suffered in my trucks were: 1) bearing roar (bad news) or: 2) a clicking sound of a damaged rear end gear( really bad news). Noise usually (usually always) comes from bearings that have gone bad. Even so, check your U-Joints first ( they should have NO play no matter what type of force you put on them. Then check for ANY movement of the pinion shaft or trans output shaft. (also, NO play is acceptable). I check bearings with a mechanics stethoscope while on a lift for bearing 'roar' at low speed. This will indicate a bad bearing. Bearing noise will transmit up to the cabin at high speed while under way. This also applies to rear axle bearings (which will also transmit sound up to the cabin.) Hope this helps.
2000 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually. All black-power everything - 265/75/16 Bridgestone REVO 2, 6.0 trans cooler. Fixed everything - brakes, steering wander, power windows, doorlocks, overhead display, turbo, trans, Yup - Character building 101
pursuthis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok, you might wanna put a new midshaft bearing in that guy before it leaves you sitting on the side of the road like mine did to me!!! its a cheap part but youll either need a press or get crafty with a hammer and some exhaust pipe to put the new one on.

mine was so bad it actually came apart and the shaft was hanging there, in the middle of the road. i would remove the shaft and replace all the ujoints and the midshaft bearing. then you can check that pinion bearing play, i think youl find that the ujoints and midshaft bearing fixes your problems...
Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
ok, you might wanna put a new midshaft bearing in that guy before it leaves you sitting on the side of the road like mine did to me!!! its a cheap part but youll either need a press or get crafty with a hammer and some exhaust pipe to put the new one on.

mine was so bad it actually came apart and the shaft was hanging there, in the middle of the road. i would remove the shaft and replace all the ujoints and the midshaft bearing. then you can check that pinion bearing play, i think youl find that the ujoints and midshaft bearing fixes your problems...

[/ QUOTE ].........thanks 03....hope thats all it is ....where is the mid shaft bearing located...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Kind of late to this post - I had an 01 with vibration noise (couldn't feel it) starting at 65 mph - 80 mph then it smoothed out. Turned out to be needing new rear end. Problem was gone. Steadily got worse over time. Funny thing was, you couldn't hear it as bad from other positions other than the drivers seat...

Hope this helps,

Viper
Old 03-27-2006, 11:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

You might check the four bolts holding the drive shaft to the back of the tranny. Mine loosened after a clutch change I did and made a roar and light vibration as they gradually loosened. Just something to check. Used a 12MM end wrench and tapped the wrench with a hammmer for final tightning.
Jim
Old 03-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Don't mean to hi-jack.

But I have a roar in my dually also.

At first I thought it was the front end but just last week when your at highway speeds and press in the clutch the roar goes away! I know its not a U-joint but what could it be? And I just put new tires all the way around.

Thanks
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 200K
2002 TDI Jetta Manual 230K
2003 TDI Jetta Maual 90K
1999 Polaris Diesel Quad
2004 Kubota BX 1500 599cc diesel
(yah I like the old mechanical diesels)
Westro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have a '99 Dually Crew Cab that has driveline noise between 65 and 72 mph............Pulled the rear shaft, checked carrier bearing and U-joints then checked the front shaft and axle U joints and found nothing...........I just don't drive between 65-72 anymore........... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1999 F-350 CC Dually PStroke, 1996 s-281SC SALEEN Vert #380, 2006 F-350 CC Amarillo Pkg. Located in HELL-The hottest part.
PAVER-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.