Early 99 question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 99 question

I have a early 99 f350 that I bought recently and from what I have heard the early 99's are lacking power that later models have but in my truck it seems to have very good performance and lots of power as far as I can tell everything is stock. It even seems to have more power than my dads 02 f250 7.3 how can this be?
powerstrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

It could have a chip installed in it.

I have the e99 and its a great truck i feel. Its just that getting parts and trying to get a donor truck and dealing with parts guys is the only bad thing.
jakeharrington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

If it is running good, you are satisfied and do not plan to "Hot Rod" it, just run it and enjoy it. I've had my early '99 since June of 1998 and certainly enjoy it.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

There is no chip on it but I am going to get a ts should I stay away from the 140 hp tune
herd it is hard on stock tranny and injectors won't flow enough
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrok View Post
There is no chip on it but I am going to get a ts should I stay away from the 140 hp tune
herd it is hard on stock tranny and injectors won't flow enough
Depends what you want to use the truck for. If you tow, the 140 is not recommended. If itís an early í99 with auto trans you probably have a catalytic converter, unless a previous owner removed it. With the 140 tune your EGT will max out. If you donít have any way to monitor the EGT, you need to get a gauge installed. If you tow and itís an auto, you need a trans temp gauge as well. If you consistently run with the EGT above 1250 degs youíll ruin your turbo. Auto trans donít live long if consistently run above ~230 degs.

I run stock injectors and normally run a 60 to 80 tune when not towing. When towing I use DPís 40 to 60 tow tune, and adjust the throttle based on ETG. I especially pay close attention to EGT when pulling heavy in steep grades, and turn off the over-drive to increase RPMs. Add info regarding your truck (mods, lift, wheels, auto, manual, etc) that you know about to your signature.

Early 99 XLT F350 4X4 SuperCab Long Bed SRW
Mods: AIS Intake, BTS tranny, DP Tunner, Isspro A Pillar Trans Temp, Boost, Pre Turbo EGT, 19.5" Vision Heavy Hauler Wheels, Dunlop SP461 Tires, GTP38R Turbo, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, DI Intercooler, DI Uppies, DI HP Oil Cross-over, DI Regulated Fuel Return, BW Turnover Hitch, Rear Hellwig Stabilizer Bar, Rear Timbren Suspension, Moog Ball Joints, 2009 Al Rear Diff Cover, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with Power Elbow, Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

bigassredtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't tow often but will use 40 tow will I see any gain from 120 race to 140 extreme
I am getting a pyrometer and soon getting straight pipe but till then going to keep egt's low
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

If it's completely stock and you want to wake the truck up without blowing it up. I would suggest getting rid of the restrictive air box and uprade it with a AFE air intake, a 4" replacement exhaust system, and a 60hp or 80hp chip/tune.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have heard of the Napa diy intake is this a good intake
How do you do it?
Stancor glow plug relay upgrade
Glow Shift black 7 color pyrometer
TS performance 6 position chip
TC lockup switch
More mods to come!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

There's lots of info on it, just goggle it. While it flows lots of air I don't like the Napa/Wix filter element exposed like it is as it's not good if it gets wet (it's a paper element) and it could. I use the AFE 24-91042, same size filter and I use a Pre filter cover with it.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ford changed a lot of things between early 99 and late 99, but in my opinion they were all pretty minor. When I bought my early 99, I didn't know anything about these trucks except that I wanted a diesel, and I loved the body style.

Looking back, I would have looked for a late 99, but, Its not a big deal.

You say you don't have a chip, but the PCM may have been flashed with a tune. I'm not sure how you would tell for sure, but if you put a boost gauge on it and you can build more that 16 psi unloaded, its probably not stock.
Isspro trans pyro, boost, Fuel Press. and HPOP Gauges
AeroForce Scan Gauge
Stage 1 single shots from Full Force
Riffraff FRX & HPX
Terminator 500 HPOP
EBPValve delete W/ Blank Pedistal
Kickers all around w/ 10" sub
4" Cold air intake
35" MTs with 1.5" wheel spacers
DP f5 Tuner w/ F8 switch
On board air w/ Air horn
AST Ultra remote start
WMO !!!!
Machiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

I put a DIY intake on my early '99 truck in 2007 and have had no problem with it getting wet. It is well back in the engine compartment and I can not see how it could get wet. I have checked mine many times and it is always dry.

Can not prove it has helped performance, but it is certainly as good or better than the factory system.

Truck had the original intake system replaced by Ford to eliminate the intake tube from within the wheel well (only for those who complained), which indeed did allow factory air filter to get wet. This introduced a new filter size, and dealers (for a while at least) had to inventory both sizes. Auto parts stores often stocked one size and not the other so this lead to difficulty in obtaining the correct filter. I switched to the DIY to eliminate the hassle of returning filters or not finding the correct one when needed.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Early 99

The Diy filter (napa) makes a big difference in performance and power. I have had my truck since new and it has 630km on it and still going stong. The filter was changed from stock about five to six years ago and made a big difference. It has never lacked on power always towed what ever needed 5-8 tonnes.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've heard the early 99's had better turbos but don't have anything to back that up. Front bearings and rotors are different. When they go, upgrade to later style. As far as power, I regularly pull 30k at hay time. Original motor, still pulls fine. No blowby or motor problems ever. (Knocking on wood now) This is the best truck I've ever heard of....period. 330k miles and still going STRONG. Get gauges and a good intake system (afe) and it will last. Check the factory air box if it still has it, they were notorious for cracking and letting unfiltered air in. Mine has a build date of 2/98. Good luck with yours. Take care of it, budget for a transmission rebuild if it has not been done and add the 6.0 cooler up front ( mine went at 160k, never got hot, and no warning) and it will last longer than most.
Jay
99 XLT,PSD,CC,SB, 4x4, Manual T-case and hubs, auto trans, 3:73 Limited slip,Straight piped, Amsoil and Dodge LS Additive in the rear, Diamond B Brush Guard, AFE MAgnum intake/Pro guard 7 filter, Isspro Gauges on A-piller, SCMT 60 or 80hp, 203 T-Stat, Billit Housing
IF YOU HAVE EATEN TODAY, THANK A FARMER!!

Last edited by Jay Brunson; 02-14-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Jay Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Use a Tymar intake...it won't get wet and besides the Donaldsons won't suck water like clones..

I'd get a TS chip then your free to use any tuner you choise ..won't be locked to just one.

Early 99's had 120cc inj's and a 15* HPOP the later ones had 140cc and a 17* HPOP..both pumps will drop HPO when used with a chip and hotter tunes.

I'd get some stage 1's if your looking for more HP..

You will need support mods with Inj's

Pm-email me if I can help.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Have the chip on its way but now wondering if the pcm has been flash tuned if so would it hurt to go ahead and put the chip in?
Would ford reflash the pcm to stock for under $100
Stancor glow plug relay upgrade
Glow Shift black 7 color pyrometer
TS performance 6 position chip
TC lockup switch
More mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.