Electrolysis? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Electrolysis?

I'm shopping and looking at a 2001 F350 with the 7.3.

Have a 1995 and it's been pretty decent.

My Dad's mechanic buddy specifically talks about electrolysis as cause for major failure in this series of truck in the 7.3s. Now this is someone I would listen to a little bit. He was apparently an expert witness in a court case against Ford for an individual? I've googled enough to understand what it is, yet if it were a rampant problem, I'm sure this forum would be full of posts--but there are only a few and they don't seem like that big of a deal--not taking out the whole engine.

So what's the deal?

What are the feeling son the 2001 7.3s with a manual transmission in general? Any other concerns with this model year?
loricar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

It can't be a huge deal - I've never even heard it mentioned on the forums. Maybe he was thinking about cavitation - which is a big deal in the 7.3's when the antifreeze is not correctly maintained.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dray8165 View Post
It can't be a huge deal - I've never even heard it mentioned on the forums. Maybe he was thinking about cavitation - which is a big deal in the 7.3's when the antifreeze is not correctly maintained.
Yeah, I would agree. He's probably thinking of the cavitation issues. But, keeping up with radiator flushes and having the right amount of additive in the green antifreeze pretty much eliminates that issue. The only things I would caution you on would be if it has been run with a chip in it, did it have gauges in it? What about maintenance records? Any leaks anywhere (water pump, radiator, oil, fuel)? How is the turbo on it? How clean is the air intake? How strong are the batteries? If you have to replace one, it's best to replace both at the same time. I believe the rods in the 2001 and up 7.3 l are PMR instead of forged metal like the 99-2000's, so, if you plan on modifying it with a big increase in hp, be aware that you'll probably have to consider replacing the rods. And, the 2001 automagics had the mechanical diode issue, but you said the one you're looking at is a stick. I say go for it, if the price is right.

And, welcome to The Diesel Stop. You'll get info that you didn't even know that you needed to know off of this site.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, RollX bed cover, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 131k somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything] , Edge Evolution (testing 60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Yeah - no such thing as electrolysis - but the closest thing (as mentioned) is cavitation. And as far as that being a major failure area - I can't recall a single case actually happening - maybe some folks that have been on longer can recall a couple - but out of everytruck on the road, and knowing how many folks I see maintain theirs - I would call it very remote.

Major failure areas on these engines are nuisances rather than major failures: CPS, UVC Harness connection, o-ring leaks - nothing major mechanical that I can think of. Maybe the occasional (but expensive) rusty oil pan or a loose oil squirter in the engine.

The 7.3 is pretty robust.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Electrolysis? You either trying to put metal coating on something or you think the truck has hairy legs and you want to stop shaving.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Could be referring to electrolysis as what happens when the coolant is degraded by electrical current. It is a common phenomenon, and it's been talked about here many times, usually with regard to heater cores, radiators, and weird electrical gremlins. I think you can measure it, and monitor it through the coolant's pH. It can ultimately effect the coolant's ability to protect the engine and cavitation.
Roadrunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunter View Post
Could be referring to electrolysis as what happens when the coolant is degraded by electrical current. It is a common phenomenon, and it's been talked about here many times, usually with regard to heater cores, radiators, and weird electrical gremlins. I think you can measure it, and monitor it through the coolant's pH. It can ultimately effect the coolant's ability to protect the engine and cavitation.
I think you are thinking of galvanic currents, which happen when dissimilar metals are in contact - either directly or through a conductive fluid.

Electrolysis is the use of electric current to drive a non-spontaneous reaction - also, misused to refer to hair removal with electric current. Maybe the mechanic had hairy women on his mind when he was giving his advise to the original poster.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

Last edited by RT; 03-25-2010 at 04:53 PM.
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.