The Diesel Stop banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrolysis?

10K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  bugman 
#1 ·
I'm shopping and looking at a 2001 F350 with the 7.3.

Have a 1995 and it's been pretty decent.

My Dad's mechanic buddy specifically talks about electrolysis as cause for major failure in this series of truck in the 7.3s. Now this is someone I would listen to a little bit. He was apparently an expert witness in a court case against Ford for an individual? I've googled enough to understand what it is, yet if it were a rampant problem, I'm sure this forum would be full of posts--but there are only a few and they don't seem like that big of a deal--not taking out the whole engine.

So what's the deal?

What are the feeling son the 2001 7.3s with a manual transmission in general? Any other concerns with this model year?

#2 ·
It can't be a huge deal - I've never even heard it mentioned on the forums. Maybe he was thinking about cavitation - which is a big deal in the 7.3's when the antifreeze is not correctly maintained.

#3 ·
It can't be a huge deal - I've never even heard it mentioned on the forums. Maybe he was thinking about cavitation - which is a big deal in the 7.3's when the antifreeze is not correctly maintained.
Yeah, I would agree. He's probably thinking of the cavitation issues. But, keeping up with radiator flushes and having the right amount of additive in the green antifreeze pretty much eliminates that issue. The only things I would caution you on would be if it has been run with a chip in it, did it have gauges in it? What about maintenance records? Any leaks anywhere (water pump, radiator, oil, fuel)? How is the turbo on it? How clean is the air intake? How strong are the batteries? If you have to replace one, it's best to replace both at the same time. I believe the rods in the 2001 and up 7.3 l are PMR instead of forged metal like the 99-2000's, so, if you plan on modifying it with a big increase in hp, be aware that you'll probably have to consider replacing the rods. And, the 2001 automagics had the mechanical diode issue, but you said the one you're looking at is a stick. I say go for it, if the price is right.

And, welcome to The Diesel Stop. You'll get info that you didn't even know that you needed to know off of this site.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

#4 ·
Yeah - no such thing as electrolysis - but the closest thing (as mentioned) is cavitation. And as far as that being a major failure area - I can't recall a single case actually happening - maybe some folks that have been on longer can recall a couple - but out of everytruck on the road, and knowing how many folks I see maintain theirs - I would call it very remote.

Major failure areas on these engines are nuisances rather than major failures: CPS, UVC Harness connection, o-ring leaks - nothing major mechanical that I can think of. Maybe the occasional (but expensive) rusty oil pan or a loose oil squirter in the engine.

The 7.3 is pretty robust.

#5 ·
Electrolysis? You either trying to put metal coating on something or you think the truck has hairy legs and you want to stop shaving.

#6 ·
Could be referring to electrolysis as what happens when the coolant is degraded by electrical current. It is a common phenomenon, and it's been talked about here many times, usually with regard to heater cores, radiators, and weird electrical gremlins. I think you can measure it, and monitor it through the coolant's pH. It can ultimately effect the coolant's ability to protect the engine and cavitation.

#7 · (Edited)
Could be referring to electrolysis as what happens when the coolant is degraded by electrical current. It is a common phenomenon, and it's been talked about here many times, usually with regard to heater cores, radiators, and weird electrical gremlins. I think you can measure it, and monitor it through the coolant's pH. It can ultimately effect the coolant's ability to protect the engine and cavitation.
I think you are thinking of galvanic currents, which happen when dissimilar metals are in contact - either directly or through a conductive fluid.

Electrolysis is the use of electric current to drive a non-spontaneous reaction - also, misused to refer to hair removal with electric current. Maybe the mechanic had hairy women on his mind when he was giving his advise to the original poster.

#9 ·
My Dad's mechanic buddy specifically talks about electrolysis as cause for major failure in this series of truck in the 7.3s. Now

You read that in a 13 year old post and thought you’d dazzle us with your wisdom and explain he was talking about cleaning metal with electricity and washing soda?

#10 ·
For some reason we have had a rash of new members reviving old threads with a single post never to return again.

Closing this one down

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.