Engine block heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine block heater

How will I know for sure if this is working? I have plugged it in once the night before a 25 deg morning. It did not seem like the truck warmed up all that much quicker than ususal. It did start fine though.
Footy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
With the engine cold, after plugging in for a bit, reach up to the top of the oil filter mount. It should be warm/hot if working.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
If the heater is plugged in overnight at 25F, you'll be able to feel some warmth at the thermostat housing on the engine.

If you suspect it's not working, and have an ohmmeter, check across the two flat prongs of the plug. You should see about 14 ohms there. If you get an open circuit, your cord is probably broken right behind the plug from flapping in the breeze. You can cut the cord back and install a new plug, or go with the Marinco Mod (see the link in my signature). The block heater itself is probably fine.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even when its zero out mine will warm truck enough for top of the motor and even upper rad hose to be warm, relative to outside air. I can also see the temp gauge go up when I turn key on. I have instant heat. I also see it in my electric bill. Also if you listen by the left wheel well I can hear all my Fords hiss a bit as the heater comes up to temp after plugging it in.

I have been told they are about 1300 watts.
Flipper612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want to know if it is working check the amps on one leg of the 120V supply circuit with only the heater on that circuit. The heater should be using 8-9 amps. If you have voltage on the supply source but are not pulling amps then the heater is not working.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper612 View Post
I have been told they are about 1300 watts.
The 7.3L comes with a 1000 Watt block heater.

120V^2/1000W = 14.4 ohms

or for Chris's amp test - 1000W/120V = 8.33 Amps

The downside of that is you're testing on a 120V energized circuit. It might hurt if you mess up.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys. I will check it out further.
Footy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use a Kill-a-watt to see that it is working. My block heater draws approximately 980-985W at the wall.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The 7.3L comes with a 1000 Watt block heater.

120V^2/1000W = 14.4 ohms

or for Chris's amp test - 1000W/120V = 8.33 Amps

The downside of that is you're testing on a 120V energized circuit. It might hurt if you mess up.

I agree, working on energized circuits requires some experience and caution. On a simple 120V ampt test like this there is something that one can do to make if much safer, and you can build it for about 5 bucks. Typically to do an amp test you have to get into the breaker box to get to an exposed single leg wire of the circuit to put your amp gage loop on. I have in my elecrical kit a jumper I made years ago, probably cost 5 bucks to make up. The jumper has a male 120V 15A plug to go into the source at the wall outlet, 12" of two, hot black and the white neutral, seperate insulated wires. I took the Romex outer cover on them. It has a female 120V 15A plug in on the other end. I plug the jumper in the wall outlet, plug the 120V item I want to amp check in the other end of the jumper and put my amp gage loop on, around, one of the two exposed insulated wires. Much safer than going to the breaker box, taking off the cover and getting into ALL those circuits. Hope this helps someone.
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
I don't know but I have always just felt the heater cord to see if it is warm. Also at only 25 degrees you might not really notice much. I don't even plug mine in until it is going to be below 0
Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

x2 on the Kill-a-watt, comes in handy when you want to know how much current is being consumed.

On a side note, I was going to do the Marinco mod for this heater, but there is bumper under the plastic..... so I'll have to fabricate a bracket to hold the receptical, behind the front license plate.
pritch272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry guys my 2001 diesel does not have a block heater on it so I'm not sure if the heater is still the freeze plug type. My old 93 did and from what I remember the cord could also be unplugged at the block heater and checked on a bench. The male end of the cord was bad on mine - sounded like a common problem at the time.
2001 E-350 7.3 Diesel - 247,000, Amsoil 15w 40 or Shell Rotella T6 5w 40 synthetic, New water pump @ 216k, Tru-Cool MAX transmission cooler, Bilstein Shocks, Edge 15001 programmer with gauges, AutoEnginuity / Domestic Enhancements, Diamond Eye 4" Performance Exhaust, Delphi CPS, Ford HD Steering Stabilizer kit and Bilstein Stabilizer W0133-1915818, 2003 Telescopic Towing Mirrors!
minalba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

The trucks at work (2008 Sterlings with Detroits) have this type of plug (Marinco) and they have a light that shows the cord plugged in and that the heater is working. If either light doesn't come on, no heater.
None2Slow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch272 View Post
On a side note, I was going to do the Marinco mod for this heater, but there is bumper under the plastic..... so I'll have to fabricate a bracket to hold the receptical, behind the front license plate.
Just drill through the bumper. That's what I did. Check the Marinco Mod link in my signature. It's clear behind the spot that I mounted it.

Some have hinged the license plate and mounted the Marinco behind it.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
Just drill through the bumper. That's what I did. Check the Marinco Mod link in my signature. It's clear behind the spot that I mounted it.

Some have hinged the license plate and mounted the Marinco behind it.
How hard was it to drill through the bumper? What kind of saw did you use?
pritch272 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.