The Diesel Stop banner

Engine died while on highway

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  yan7gin 
#1 ·
While driving 60 mph on the highway the engine just died. I coasted to the exit and waited for tow truck. I run a Bully Dog GT and got the following codes
P1249
P1670
P1212
P0340
P1211
P1280
I tried to start engine - long crank - started - ran like crap. Sounded like not enough oil pressure to injectors - ran for 10 seconds and died again. Will not start again. Where do I start with all those codes?

#2 · (Edited)
I noted that a few of your codes were for your ICP ....

Which helps control the oil pressure to the injectors...

You just might try and disconnect it and try starting it again....

While your at it....Check for oil in the ICP connector....

Next thing is your Cam Position Sensor ....

They're noted for failing and stranding you on the road....

When cranking...do you show any RPM's ????...

Many 7.3 owners at noted for carrying spares for just that reason...

It could be one of your many problems, but just a place to start...

I'm sure somebody more knowledgable will tune in with some better advice

#5 ·
Check your fuel pressure. I'm gonna guess that your fuel pump went south on you. Noisy injectors are also a sign of lack of fuel, and that can also cause a P1211 code. One code you got is a CPS code P0340, but I'm thinking most are leftovers from other events. I would recommend clearing them and checking again.
You can do a quick check on fuel by opening the filter drain and turning the key on. You should get a healthy stream out of the drain tube.

#7 ·
Alrighty. Installed Bully Dog tuner. Started truck, ran better, not great. Deleted codes. Ran diagnostics. No codes. Drove around block. Started acting up again. It's definitely high press oil related. No acceleration, injectors making a racket. Barely made it back in driveway. Ran diagnostics. No codes.

#8 ·
Did you check the fuel pressure? Even if the pump is running, it may not be delivering enough fuel to fill the injectors. Possibly the tank pickup screens are plugged. If you had low HP oil pressure, you would have gotten a P1211 code for HP oil pressure higher/lower than desired. Fuel pressure won't necessarily throw a code.

#9 ·
Originally had 1211 code. I'm getting codes from Bully Dog. I know, not the most accurate reader. I have a buddy bringing his code reader tomorrow. If I remember correctly, I will need an adaptor to plumb a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel bowl. I'll look at that in the morning

#10 ·
How is your fuel level? I had a broken pick up and ran like crap at low fuel levels.

#11 ·
Plumbed fuel pressure gauge into fuel bowl. Engine wouldn't start, but had 60 psi after cranking for approx 15 - 20 seconds. Hose for gauge is about 18 inches long and was empty prior to test. I'm guessing that's why the delay to build pressure.

#12 ·
Pressure looks good. Did you key on/off a couple times with the gauge connected? Once you get pressure at the gauge, it should pop right back up when the fuel pump turns on when you key on. Cranking won't affect fuel pressure buildup with the electric fuel pump. I'd check it again for a couple cycles and make sure it isn't a bad connection or balky fuel pump relay.

Have you checked that the IPR coil nut is on tight? A loose coil could cause the IPR to not close to build HP oil pressure.

#13 ·
Alrighty then. Here is what we have. Ended up being ICP sensor again. I replaced my original sensor in December 2015, replaced it again March 2016 and now again in May. This leads me to a couple important questions

1 When the problem originally happened, I disconnected the sensor and tried to start the truck. It did not start. Should it have?
2 The problem originally happened while traveling down the highway and engine quit. I did not put truck in neutral until almost completely stopped, It was left in drive the whole time. Would this cause the codes I received about CPS (P0340) and ODM has detected a voltage greater than 33 volts (P1670)? The only reason I could think of would be that the vehicle speed after shutdown kept the transmission / engine running even though it had shut down because of a faulty ICP sensor.
3 Are the replacement sensors sold at Ford reliable?
Thoughts?

#14 ·
When you pulled the wiring connector loose, it should have started and run. But if you have problems in the wiring harness (such as shorts between wires from deteriorated insulation) that could be the cause of all your issues. I would inspect/replace the ICP sensor pigtail. Your ICP sensor(s) may still be good. The fact that you (or the mechanic) moved the pigtail may have eliminated a potential short (temporarily). It may have eventually vibrated back into contact.

#15 ·
I would ditch the Bully dog

first the tune aren't great on it and if I remember it make the trany shift really hard.
second the reading on it aren't trust able. mine was reading 14 psi boost and mechanical gauge was reading 29psi

IMO from my experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.