The Diesel Stop banner

Engine Help

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Andrew G 
#1 ·
Good afternoon from a sunny Texas, my name is Richard and I own a 2001 Ford F350SD 7.3 6 speed ZF6. I had this truck go down on me back in December and was trying to figure it out. I was driving it down the highway about 3 miles from my house when it started stalling and losing power, it stalled out completely and so I downshifted to get it back and it did. It kept doing that all the way down to first gear until it came to rest. I got out and raised the hood to find oil spewed all throughout the hood and engine and belly of the beast. I pulled the dipstick and it was bone dry. I had it towed back to my house where a couple days later I took the topside of the motor apart and found that the high pressure oil line that goes to the passenger side head had a hole in it and was spewing the oil throughout the engine compartment. I replaced the line and then fell ill and went into the hospital. My fiancé had a friend come over while I was in and put the truck back together. He filled it with oil and tried getting it running, but ended up killing the batteries. He tried calling his dad who is a so called mechanic and he said the HPOP has blown and that's the cause of it not starting. I was reading online that the HPOP is pretty strong and that they don't blow or go out very easily. I need help to get this truck back up and running. Is there anything I need to do with this engine to get it running? Are there any sensors, like the ICP or IPR, that could have gone out to keep it from starting? I don't want to go into it blind and then spend the $600 on a new HPOP and then that not even be the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely NOT the HPOP.

But what you need to first is get the batteries and starter checked out. If the batteries were killed, the starter may also be a problem. You need a minimum of 100 RPM cranking speed to start.
You should also get a PSD capable scan tool hooked up to it and monitor ICP, IPR Duty Cycle, Engine RPM, and Fuel injector pulse width while cranking. When you turn the key on, IPR duty cycle should read 14%, then when cranking, should ramp up till the ICP reaches 500 psi, Fuel Injector pulse width should be between 6 and 8 ms (IIRC).

You might try sending a PM to member RT here on TDS and see if he can help out. He's also in TX and may be nearby.

Welcome to TheDieselStop

#3 ·
when going down trying to start it back up, you might of drained the oil lines completely, and when you tried to start it back up oil pressure needs to build back up. try charging the batteries all the way and crank to build oil pressure. make sure to take long breaks so the starter wont burn up. also try to get a scan tool or a pressure gauge to check for high pressure.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, I already have a scanner, its an Actron CP9580A. I have since gotten the batteries recharged, but I haven't done much more than that. Would that scan tool work or would I have to go rent one from somewhere to see what I need to see? Thank you for the quick replies as well.

#6 ·
THE SCAN TOOL YOU HAVE SHOULD WORK!!!

When you are hooked up to the vehicle go to Live Data and go down to icp psi and make sure that icp psi goes up to 500 or more around this area if it reads more than 1000 psi the icp might be disconnected or bad. also make sure you are reading icp psi and not the icp dsd.

#11 ·
So I got under the hood today and was looking around trying to figure out what was done to the components that I took apart back in December. Come to find out the dumbass that put my truck back together didnt know what he was doing, the map sensor wasnt even connected up, the red and green vacuum lines that run to the turbo and air heater and intake were hooked up incorrectly, an the bolt on the front of the turbo for the air heater didnt have the little brass ring on it to keep the wires in place. Oh and when I looked at the high pressure oil lines the dumbass put the old ones back on it so the one that was blown was put back on. I'm heading to a salvage yard tomorrow to pick up both of them so I can replace them. Any thoughts on that?

#13 ·
Kinda difficult to put the red & green lines on incorrectly...they are cut & formed to fit :surprise:

#12 ·
So I went to the surrounding salvage yards and nobody had the two of them that weren't cut. Does anybody know where I can find the two of them for pretty cheap? I've literally called all the way to a 2.5 hour drive in order to see if they have the part with no success.

#14 ·
Probably going to have to order the lines. When you go to crank it back up make sure the hpop is full of oil. I live on the texas lousiana boarder and also had a leak a while back I had to order mine from diesel O-ring

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.