The Diesel Stop banner

engine misfire

8K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  normanpaul 
#1 ·
Still having trouble with a 99 7.3, all started with a chip. engine has run on 5 cylinders ever since, i have replaced injectors 1,5,and 7 and the UVCH that ohmed too high. changed out PCM and IDM with the ones from my truck with no change. I purchased AE and am learning how to use it, the only thing it gives me is injector # 1 contribuition balance fault. I ordered a fuel filter cap today because i saw it bubbling while it was running. Oh yea i have also been over every wire of the 42 pin to the valve cover, no issue there. I need this truck running so any help would be great. or if i have missed anything point me in the right direction.

#2 ·
Does it misfire without the chip installed?

If you haven't tried removing it, that would be my first step.

#3 ·
The chip has been out since the first sign of trouble. I want to ohm from the 42 pin back to the injectors, but i need to know what pins they are if anyone knows. I am out of ideas.

#4 ·
Here's the wiring diagrams for the injector circuits and the pinout diagram for the 42 pin connector. The injector wires are all along the bottom row of the 42 pin.

Text Diagram Font Design Parallel

Text Diagram Font Design Line

Text Font Parallel Diagram

If you're not getting any IDM codes when you run a Buzz test, then your wiring is probably OK.

Hope that helps

#5 ·
Buzz test came back good every time i ran it. I have pulled the codes, nothing out of the ordinary. except cylinder number one. Cylinder # 1 5 and 7 are new injectors from swamps. On that bank only cylinder 3 is working. I am puzzled to say the least.

#6 ·
Can you swap holes with the injectors and retest? If you still get CCT failures that area following the injectors around, then you should consider contacting Swamps about rechecking them for you. When you say new injectors, do you mean "new new" or "new rebuilt"?

Have you run it with the VC's off to observe the oil flowing out of the injectors?

They can buzz good, but still not work correctly.

#7 ·
That is what my brother in law told me on the phone too Klhansen. They are remaned from swamps, and yes i have run with valve cover off both sides. 1,5,7 do not oil and three does but it is weak compared to drivers side. I wanted to tell you the first time i did a buzz test i had the passengers side bank unplugged and it buzzed all then did eight individual not sure if signal all went to the drivers side but passengers side was unplugged at the valve cover. second buzz test was much louder with the harness plugged in. I dont know if anyone has tried this on purpose but i would have thought i would have only heard four buzzes. Hey Khlansen thanks for all your help, i hope i soon get it right. I had a guy from Ca IM me he did the same thing the other day so if we figure this out we can help him too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.