engine misses when turn on wipers & 4x4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
engine misses when turn on wipers & 4x4

I have a problem where my truck dies for a second when I turn on my wipers or 4x4. It happens intermittently. I suspect the massive amounts of rain are getting something electrical wet.

Any ideas?

Matt
MGolden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
yup theres a gem module driverside below windshield,its common to have weird electrical issues when water gets in due to a bad windshield seal.
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
matt you should also fill out your sig so everyone knows what truck you have.good luck!!!!!!
red elc good for 150k
4r100 1-2 2-3 3-4sonnax accumulator valves,.427 sonnax line pressure mod valve
4.125"yes thats 4 1/8" diy tymar intake(size matters...lol)
AIH delete,ccv delete,zoodad mod,
4" exhaust no muff
built my own leafs for 4.0 of lift!!!!!!
18" xd bronze revolvers with 325 nittos to wrap them
isspro pyro and boost guages on pillar mount....
tattoocharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I am having rain issues too. Which module is it and is there a fix other then a new windshield?
2003 7.3 F-350 XLT 2WD CC, 252,000K,4" Back~ 6" S.S. Miter Stack, International bellowed up pipes, K&N Intake W/Riffraff6637 Filter, Stage 1 Injectors, PHP chip W/GearHead Tunes, Riffraff Plenum inserts, Big Head Act, WW1, Riffraff IC and plenum boots, Powder Coated Blue IC Tubes, Pricol Optix- Pyro,Boost,Trans , Hutch and Harpoon mod, Baldwin pre-filter,Rear Shackles,Custom Mirror CB Antenna Mount,Custom box 12s behind rear seat,Kicker,Bluray,HDTV's

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
Samuel Adams
jpciron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpciron View Post
I am having rain issues too. Which module is it and is there a fix other then a new windshield?
The GEM module only exists on 99-01 trucks. It was replaced in '02 models by some other module (can't remember the name or exact location).

But the best thing to do is fix the windshield leak. If you don't it will probably take out any new module you install.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
An aftermarket CPS can cause the same symptoms, but it's the wipers not the rain.

Water getting in the CPS connection can do the same thing. It's worth taking a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The GEM module only exists on 99-01 trucks. It was replaced in '02 models by some other module (can't remember the name or exact location).

But the best thing to do is fix the windshield leak. If you don't it will probably take out any new module you install.
They called it the VSM (vehicle security module) and stuck it behind and below the radio starting in 02.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

HEY GUYS!!! I CHASED THIS FOR TWO SEASONS, ITS THE AFTER MARKET CPS!! The CPS reads RF signal and the wipers build a static charge & when they wipe, the charge goes off thus interfering with the CPS. I took the black one out & put a grey ford one in & no troubles since. What a headache this was but not now...
Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

SOB, I got stranded this winter with the CPS and put in a NAPA unit along side the road. Started having the trouble shortly after. Just using my wipers alot lately is prolly why I am noticing it with rain. I guess I will finally take it in for that recall........
Old 05-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, Mine died and I put a black Napa in & later that season in the rain it started, I pulled my hair out chasing this on my 99 F-250, finally an old ford guy told me to try the gray ford on, I changed it in the rain & bingo...gone.
Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.