The Diesel Stop banner

Engine Oil Temperature-Towing

7K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  RT 
#1 ·
What seems folk's acceptable oil temperatures when towing your 6k to 8k travel trailers or fifth wheels when the outside temperature is ninety-eight degrees or higher?

Just got a new Infinity DP Tuner and surprised to see mine are in the 220 range and apparently has been all these years of towing.

Mike

#2 ·
On the 7.3, it just isn't as important to get a coolant temperature/ oil temperature delta as our oil coolers don't clog like the 6.doh crowd does. The oil temp is more reflective of your engine temp. Towing about twice what you do in the same glorious heat, my coolant stays at 180 and my oil will climb to 197. That's highway speeds. What thermostat are you running?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
Stock/OEO Motorcraft

#4 ·
Have you cleaned out your coolant stack recently? (Radiator, tranny cooler, intercooler, and condenser? It's pretty common to get a lot of build up in the fins of each component decreasing your airflow and causing higher temps.

#5 ·
New AC condenser & mechanic cleaned radiator fins last year. How would I locate & best way to clean the oil cooler fins & intercooler?

#7 ·
Mine runs 220 to 230 pulling a 11K 5th Wheel in 95 degree heat.
Bill

#8 ·
Sounds like my EOTs are not too far off.

For the non-RV crowd, towing travel trailers and fifth wheels is much different. It is all about wind resistance and frontal area size, rather than weight.

Much like pulling a piece of 8' X 10' piece of plywood down the road.

I will get under my truck and do some cleaning. Thanks RT and others for the help.

Mike

#9 ·
That's true- lots more work pulling a rolling air dam. Pull the cover off the top in front of the radiator. You can then look down between the radiator and intercooler. You'll see the tranny cooler toward the bottom. You can use your hose end sprayer to wash the fins out. You can remove the condenser mount bolts and lean it forward to access the front of the condenser.

#10 ·
What about the oil cooler, RT? What does it look like & where is it? Easy to clean it with a hose also?

#11 ·
Sorry, I meant engine oil cooler, not transmission oil cooler.

#12 ·
It's an oil to water cooler. It's that torpedo shaped device on the driver's side of the motor. The oil filter screws into the cooler's rear housing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.