Engine will not Crank... Starter spins but does not Engage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine will not Crank... Starter spins but does not Engage

I bought a 2001 F250 SuperDuty XLT 7.3L Powerstroke back in December and I have not had any problems with it until the temperature recently went below Zero. It has been anywhere from -5 down to -10 F around here... The first time I had a problem, I had left the truck out overnight without plugging it in. In the morning it was about -6 F, -30 with the windchill. I tried to start the truck and I could hear the starter spinning, but it would not crank the engine. I got the engine to crank twice, but the truck didn't start and then after that I couldn't get the engine to turn over anymore. I found an extention cord and plugged it in, but even after 4 or 5 hours the engine wouldn't crank even though I could hear the starter spinning. Finally about 8 hours after all this started, I got the engine to crank and got it started. When I got home I plugged my truck in first thing, but the next morning I had the same problem and I have not been able to get the engine to crank since then. Mind you that the starter spins and the batteries are fine, but the starter will not engage and try turning the motor. Any ideas? Has anyone else had this same problem? Could it be the cold or does this sound like a starter problem? Thanks for any help!

- F250 PSD born 4/01 in Kentucky USA, 4x4, 3.73 Rear End, Ext. Cab, Short Bed...
- Tymar Intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, BTS Valve Body, ITP 3 Gauge Pillar(Pyro/Boost/Trans), DP tunes, ITP RR, Hutch'poon mods, AirDog lift pump, Bypass coolant filter and 6.0 tranny cooler.
MikeSoderquist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Engine will not Crank... Starter spins but does not Engage

The starter spinning is not a very reliable indication of the strength of your batteries. It has to spin the truck over fast enough to get the HPOP to put out about 500 psi in order for the injectors to fire. If during this starting you made a white cloud of diesel out the exhaust and it smells like unburned diesel then the injectors are firing but the glow plugs may not be getting the cylinders hot enough for the compression to ignite the diesel. You can use a jumper cable to bypass the glow plug relay and get juice directly to the glowplugs for about 2 minutes. Then turn it over. If there is no white smoke (unburned diesel) then it may just be the batteries cannot spin the starter fast enough. -5 to -10 is a pretty major stress on the batteries so this may indicate they need replacing.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks... I've talked to a few guys at work and they also said it may be a battery issue. The only thing that threw me off is that the starter will engage occasionaly. I would try jumping the glow plugs, but as it stand now, the starter will spin when I try and start my truck but it is not turning the engine over. I think I may just have to wait until it warms up to really see what is going on here. It seems that maybe the gear on the starter is sticking because of the cold. This is my first Diesel so I don't know if this is a common problem when it gets extremely cold or whether it simply is a battery problem or a starter problem.

- F250 PSD born 4/01 in Kentucky USA, 4x4, 3.73 Rear End, Ext. Cab, Short Bed...
- Tymar Intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, BTS Valve Body, ITP 3 Gauge Pillar(Pyro/Boost/Trans), DP tunes, ITP RR, Hutch'poon mods, AirDog lift pump, Bypass coolant filter and 6.0 tranny cooler.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Winter Operation and Hard Start/No Start..... Check here first. Might prove informative for you.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks... I've talked to a few guys at work and they also said it may be a battery issue. The only thing that threw me off is that the starter will engage occasionaly. I would try jumping the glow plugs, but as it stand now, the starter will spin when I try and start my truck but it is not turning the engine over. I think I may just have to wait until it warms up to really see what is going on here. It seems that maybe the gear on the starter is sticking because of the cold. This is my first Diesel so I don't know if this is a common problem when it gets extremely cold or whether it simply is a battery problem or a starter problem.

[/ QUOTE ]Are you saying the starter is spinning over , but it is not engaging the flywheel? If that is the case you may need a new starter...Rick....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know this sounds obvious and you have probably checked this, but I had a truck Sunday that the starter bolts vibrated out and the starter had came out of the hole. Nothing wrong at all just put some bolts back in it.
01 F350 CC Dually: DPS stage III 360cc hybrids, Stealth Big Oil, DPS fuel system, H2 hybrid turbo, Hypermax conn. rods, balanced rotating assembly, DPS 4 pos., head studs, Cometic head gaskets, Comp Cams springs and push rods, ATS trans w/Maghytec pan, BD Torq Loc, Transcommand, Snow Stage II
789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying the starter is spinning over , but it is not engaging the flywheel? If that is the case you may need a new starter...Rick....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the starter is spinning over, but it does not engage the flywheel most of the time. I have been able to start the truck one time out of about 50 tries over an 8 hour period. If I don't find any obvious problems and none of the Winter Operation (Thanks Haulin...) techniques prove successful, I will probably replace the starter...

[ QUOTE ]
I know this sounds obvious and you have probably checked this, but I had a truck Sunday that the starter bolts vibrated out and the starter had came out of the hole. Nothing wrong at all just put some bolts back in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the suggestion Smokin... I have not checked this yet and right now I'm driving my 95 F150(In-line 6) so I can't run out and look at the starter until I get home tonight. It wasn't as obvious to me though that those bolts may be loose so thanks again for suggesting I look.

I couldn't help but smile this morning when my older 6 cylinder fired right up(with trace amounts of grumbling) after sitting most of the winter without use. That truck hasn't let me down once in the almost 7 years I've owned it and even at almost 200,000 miles that 300ci still purrs like a kitten... well maybe a lion but you get the idea.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

The starter drive is a one way roller clutch. You either have a problem with that clutch slipping or you have some teeth worn away on the flywheel. It could also be something with the drive engagement but usually if it runs that stuff is working.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would bet you have a dirty bendix. Oil,dirt on the bendix shaft prevents the starter gear from engaging the ring gear on the fly wheel. The fix is to remove the starter and clean the bendix. It works fine when warm, correct, but not when very cold. Give it a try.
jgr
2000 F350, Ecab, LWB, SRW, 4X2, ZF6, Full Gauges, Ebrake, Chipped 271rwhp/584tq, Scan gauge II, Coolantfilter, fumoto valve, oil by-pass filter, CCV mod with return to intake, dahl 100, 40 gal. aux tank, straight piped, PML cover, 203 stat and billet, AIS, Zoodad
pristine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Oil,dirt on the bendix shaft prevents the starter gear from engaging the ring gear on the fly wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't. The engagement is mechanical. The lever that is attached to the starter drive(or bendix as you call it) is attached to the solenoid plunger on the other end. If one end moves enough to make the starter run the other end will move enough to engage the flywheel unless something is broken or worn out.

[ QUOTE ]
The fix is to remove the starter and clean the bendix.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cold hard grease and dirt inside the roller assy will prevent the rollers from holding, so cleaning the one way clutch might make it work for a while but the correct fix would be to replace the drive.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If the starter drive touches the flywheel just a little without fully engaging , It won't be long before you will need a flywheel, you can probably guess how I know.. replace the starter.. alot cheaper than the flywheel & the starter...Just a thought,,,Rick...
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I think the only place to go from here is to pull the starter and see what gives. I know for a fact that some part of the starter is not working or else the engine would try and turn over. As soon as it warms up I'll get under there and see what's going on. Thanks again for all the insight!

Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

444-4D
I stand corrected on the method of engagement of the starter. It is operated by a selenoid. HOWEVER, I still say it is dirt/oil in the mechanism. If it works fine when the engine is warm, and under cold conditions, the starter turns but does not engage, something (dirt) is not allowing the starter to engage the ring gear. Chevys were famous for not engaging (selenoid system) due to the moving part of the selenoid sticking under cold conditions. I say take off, clean it and try again. FWIW
jgr
2000 F350, Ecab, LWB, SRW, 4X2, ZF6, Full Gauges, Ebrake, Chipped 271rwhp/584tq, Scan gauge II, Coolantfilter, fumoto valve, oil by-pass filter, CCV mod with return to intake, dahl 100, 40 gal. aux tank, straight piped, PML cover, 203 stat and billet, AIS, Zoodad
pristine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Chevys were famous for not engaging (selenoid system) due to the moving part of the selenoid sticking under cold conditions.
jgr

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, no they weren't. The reason the starter drives would not turn the engine was because the one way clutch wasn't holding. If the starter motor runs the solenoid has done it's job.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the tips guys. I ended up buying one of those Big Nasty starters from DB Electric and a set of new Duramax Gold batteries from Autozone and my truck fired right up. Pretty good for a rig that's been sitting for a week in subzero weather. That DB starter sounds great! It spins the engine like it's nothing. Thanks again all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.