exhaust back pressure valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust back pressure valve

What valve or solenoid actually opens or shuts the valve in order for the engine to warm up faster? Is it the wastegate actuater solenoid or the air temp sensor or the egr valve (the one with the tube connected to the manifold ?) Lost and trying to stay away from steelership. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Thanks inadvance.

GG
99.5 (born 4/98)f350,cc,drw,4:10,airaid intake w/ k &n fitpac, straight piped ,pro,boost,tranny gauge,BRV+, ac mod.
garygaines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: exhaust back pressure valve

Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor

NOTE:
The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is not present on F650 and F750 models.

The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor is a variable capacitor sensor that is supplied a 5-volt reference signal by the PCM and returns a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure. The Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor measures the pressure in the RH exhaust manifold. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back-pressure control system.

The exhaust back-pressure is controlled by the PCM to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7C (45F) and engine oil temperature is below 75C (167F) during low load, low speed operating conditions.

An open or short in the Exhaust Back-Pressure sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM, and the PCM will disable Exhaust Back-Pressure control.

Exhaust Back Pressure Regulator

NOTE:
The Exhaust Back Pressure Regulator is not present on F650/750 models.

Exhaust back pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 7C (45F) and engine oil temperature is below 75C (167F) during low load. At high load, high speed conditions, the back pressure system is disabled.

The exhaust back pressure regulator solenoid and exhaust back pressure piston are contained in the turbocharger mounting pedestal. Turbocharger pressurized lube oil is routed to the exhaust back pressure solenoid. Oil regulated by the exhaust back pressure solenoid actuates the piston which operates the back pressure valve in the exhaust housing.
nd2kpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I unplug the egr or ebv and the symptons went away so i either have a bad sensor or tube is plug or hole in it.

Thanks

gg
99.5 (born 4/98)f350,cc,drw,4:10,airaid intake w/ k &n fitpac, straight piped ,pro,boost,tranny gauge,BRV+, ac mod.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

Great question. I'm interested in the replies that you get here. My drive to work is 7.5 miles, the first 3-5 miles or so the EBPV seems to work fine but in the last 2.5 miles of the trip the EBPV seems to get in the way. It comes on under light throttle making the engine seem to loose power. I unplugged the sensor located at the front of the engine and drove it today and it drove much better. I guess my next move is to clean out the EBP sensor tube and plug it back in. If that doesn't work I had half decided to leave the sensor unplugged and forget about it. The truck warmed up a little slower this morning but not too bad but it was 30+ degrees this AM not 20+ like earlier in the week.

White '99+ F250 SD XLT 4x2 SRW, 7.3PSD, 6spd, SuperCab, Short Bed
(mods listed in comments under photo in above link)
olddieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Well, your truck doesn't have an EGR valve so we'll have to wonder about that one. The EBP sensor is at the front of the motor.

The EBV valve is part of the turbo and has a control rod that goes to the turbo pedestal. There is a two wire connector in on the front of the turbocharger pedestal. These wires go to the EBV control solenoid.

The EBV (or warm up valve) should only operate in cold weather. If your desire is to disconnect this valve, unhooking the solenoid connection will very likely set a nuisance code. Most will disconnect the control rod from the belcrank on the turbo. The actuator will still move but no sodes will be set.

It would be nice if we could start avoiding terms like "stealership"... especially if we are asking for help.

FWIW, knowing what "symptoms" went away might help...

GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

well Grampy Jim did not mean to step on any toes but the Dealership in my little town is very good at keeping all the small mech. shops in business.Not saying that all dealerships have this problem. Now when i went to my Dealership the ebv sensor just above the water pump was labeled on the computer as a egr valve. Now i did disconnect the sensors one at a time and the ebv sensor is bad or the hole that i discovered in the ebv tube might be the problem.By disconnecting the elect. connection to the ebv, will that cause any problems? By the way the ebv tube was $45 bucks, will replace the tube and see if problem goes away. Also Grampy Jim does the check engine light come one when a code is set? or can the pcm set codes without the check engine light coming on? Trying to understand my psd.
Thanks Grampy Jim [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

It is fairly common for the tube to the EBP sensor to either plug off, rot out or both. The primary function of the EBP sensor is to tell the PCM what the exhaust pressure is so it can control the warm-up valve. I'm not sure how else the PCM uses this reading in it's strategy but I have seen running concerns result from biased or plugged sensors.

Not all codes will turn on the CEL....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you Grampy Jim, you have been a big help in understanding my psd. and again thanks.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Gary
Old 11-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Strokn,

My EBPV has been unplugged at the turbo (wiring) for about 2 years now with no problems. The valve was functioning all the time (when below 45*) and replacing the sensor, etc... did not help. I just unplugged the wiring at the valve and have had no problems since I live in Alabama.

As for the code. It will set a "soft" code that will not turn on the CEL.
Early 99 (3/98) Extended Cab F 250 XLT 4X2, PSD, 6 Speed, LWB, SRW. 140,000 miles. LUK Clutch, C-BETR Tow Mirrors, Muffler Delete Pipe, Removed Catalytic Converter, Autometer Dual A Pillar Guages with pre-turbo Pyro and Boost, SCMT 1705 Max Tuner, Tymar Intake from Airflo.com. 265/75/16 Firestone Transforce A/T's. Fumoto Drain Valve.

2009 Chevrolet Traverse(wifes car)
2004 Keystone Cougar 314EFS
2004 Kubota M4800 W/Bushog Loader
1969 Mustang Mach 1 351W
2010 Kawasaki TransMule Diesel
firefighter9208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Firefighter, thanks a bunch. I also unplug my sensor and the only difference that i noticed was that it takes a bit longer to get warmed up. I sure due appreciate the insight. Take care and be safe.

Happy Turkey Day [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

GG
Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Does anybody got a diagram of were this sensor plug is? Email it To me please lildan222000@yahoo.com thanks
lildan222000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
The EBP solenoid plug is underneath the turbo outlet spider on the front of the turbo pedestal. It'll have a wire bail to hold it in place. I don't have a diagram, but here's a picture of the pedestal and other stuff. The Solenoid is on the pedestal toward the bottom of the picture.

99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.