Exhaust leak behind turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Exhaust leak behind turbo

Checked my glow plugs yesterday and while checking the driver side I notice black soot where the up pipe bolts up to the babies butt (whatever you want to call it). What is the best fix, and not buying bellowed up pipes. Not against bellowed up pipes, I'm just against the price...and I dont understand what is so good about them. Is it the gasket leaking? I've heard some people buying a duramax gasket, saying it works better. Did I mention how much I enjoy taking the turbo off
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stock donuts may last a couple years unless the lip is warped from leaking
grgfraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
If you go with the regular gaskets, I found it easiest to put the donuts on the Y connector loosely - mount the Y connector to the turbo and install the turbo with Y connector and all. Then from the bottom slip the new down pipes into the donuts. It takes a long extension and swivel socket to tighten but is a lot better than trying to get that clamp on the turbo and Y connector with the turbo installed.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

The updated $430.00 set are bellowed. This allows movement which with the stock setup would cause leaks. Stock 6 liters come with bellows built into the turbo pipes. To get the longest poss time out of the original design, a lot of guys suggest replacing the pipes too. Over the years the donuts "wear" the piping down making it harder for the new gaskets to seal. I think Ken has a picture of his old pipes in his bellowed up pipe write up.
2000 F350 4x4 7.3l PS std cab, 190,000 mi, Ty-mar intake, 4" exhaust, 305 coopers (awesome plow tires), ISSPRO gauges, AIH delete w/ boost input, S.S. HPX line, 07 mirrors w/heat, head lights and clear corners, Riffraff plenum reinforcements, Riffraff boots, Riffraff fuel rail x-over, Riffraff boost fooler, Driven Diesel pre pump kit, Max AC assist kit, Hutch and Harpoon Mods, Dieselsite coolant and trans filter, 203* T-stat, 6.0l tranny cooler, Turbo master waste gate, ATS ported compressor housing, bellowed up pipes, Marinco Mod, Magtek front diff cover, Saginaw pump kit, DP tuner F6 w/ no start, 60t,80 and 100 hp tunes, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH radio and AE. New oil pan!!!! Installed the right way!

NEXT: new oil pan.

1997 f350 7.3l 4x4 dually mason dump (Work truck)
2005 F350 6.0l PS std cab (work truck) EGR delete w/SCT tunes with decell.

I think I'm starting to run a fever!
radvonrad01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Think its time to give Bob some more business. I know he's got the pronged for the turbo, does he carry the gaskets for the up pipe. Is it just a gaskets need replacing on the up pipe? Or something else?

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Does anyone know the part # for the sheve donut gaskets? I found F17250 for NAPA...but search there parts with no results.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
Does anyone know the part # for the sheve donut gaskets? I found F17250 for NAPA...but search there parts with no results.
Here is a link to the thread I started when I had an up-pipe leak. If you read through it you'll find lots of good parts info and pictures.

Up-Pipe Leaking.

I decided to go with the bellowed up-pipes mainly because I didn't want to do this job twice.

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the link Griz. I just bit off $1700 getting a new hub assm, master cylinder, rear drive shaft u-joints, axle seal... + Labor. Not to mention I bought the rotors, pads, u-joints, master cylinder, right axle u-joint...

$400 is just not feeling comfortable with me right now. Plus I gotta finish up Christmas shopping and still gotta drive back home. And while I'm home I'm picking up a steel cowl induction hood I know that shouldnt take priority but it saves me about $250 shipping. I'm just looking for a bandaid right now and hopefully it will happen later in the future where I'm needing to unload some cash...if I don't beat it to the punch. I dont think it will be a big of pain for me to change the donut because of my body lift. I know for a fact I can fit my head behind the turbo.

I was looking at those pics in the link you posted and now I know what was DOWN on the driver side up pipe...the donut itself.

Does anyone have a diagram of the up-pipes

Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is a link to Tousley web site which will show you the parts needed to change out the stock donuts and up-pipes. You might consider woodnthings8 suggestion and use different donuts than a stock ones. I believe you are going to have to replace the up-pipes also. They get pretty chewed up from the donuts.

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Griz
02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

What's the hardest part about getting the up pipes off and on. Like I said, I have a pretty good bit of clearance between the back of the turbo and the firewall. I picked up OEM donuts from local Ford dealer because I wasn't having much sucess on finding a "better" donut. The stock up pipes look inexpensive enough from tousley...maybe the local dealer won't be much higher. I don't have enough time to wait for parts to get shipped in. I'm leaving late next week heading back to Alabama for the holidays.

So 2 donuts and 2 OEM up pipes would be the more long term band aid?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here's a pic of the up pipe at the y collector. You can see the soot just below the flange.

Well pic is not loading. Maybe I can get it done from pc tomorrow. But anyways, at the base of the flange, it is covered in black soot.

Hopefully this will be the cause of my low boost (20-22psi with wicked wheel). And maybe give me some mpg back.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
What's the hardest part about getting the up pipes off and on. Like I said, I have a pretty good bit of clearance between the back of the turbo and the firewall. I picked up OEM donuts from local Ford dealer because I wasn't having much sucess on finding a "better" donut. The stock up pipes look inexpensive enough from tousley...maybe the local dealer won't be much higher. I don't have enough time to wait for parts to get shipped in. I'm leaving late next week heading back to Alabama for the holidays.

So 2 donuts and 2 OEM up pipes would be the more long term band aid?

If you can do all the removal and replacement without taking the turbo off than it isn't that bad of a job. Just remember to use lots of penetrating oil before you start otherwise you might have trouble getting the bolts loose. Yes...just replacing the donuts and pipes is long term band aid. If you keep the truck long enough you'll probably have to do it again. Here is a link to a site that might help you decide how you want to do it: Welcome to Pocket's International UP-Pipe Replacement Web Page

Good Luck

Griz
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
You might find it easier to pull the turbo and all. Not a bad job once you get the boost tubes and stuff out of the way on top of the engine. I found it near impossible to line the Y connector up and get the clamp on with the turbo on the engine, but then I was also trying to do it with the pipes in place. As I mentioned earlier, it is easier to install the pipes from underneath. One of the bolts on the passenger side is a bear to get at. Do not reuse the old pipes.

If you do pull the turbo, there are 2 O rings that need to be replaced. O rings, donuts and pipes are available a your International dealer and usual less expensive than Ford. The even have bellowed pipes if you end up going that route.

Makes a big difference in power and less smoke smell in the cockpit. You will like the end result.

Good luck with the project.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Great, thanks for all the help Griz. Here's that pick of the driver side view of the y collector and up pipe.

Last edited by rammertide07; 03-26-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well, best of luck on replacing the donuts. I went through this last March. Decided on new Ford parts, figuring they would last 2-3 years. The studs on the collector (behind the turbo) would not come out and broke off. This was with LOTS of PB Blaster. The easy out broke, after having to take the turbo, etc off. New collector, up-pipes, donuts, bolts and nuts, over 300 with a nice discount from my Ford parts guy.
I am just saying, the job is a pita if everything goes well. They have probably been leaking for a while. Wait if you can and do the bellows. They come with everything, and have to be easier to install than up-pipes slipping out the donut flanges while lining up the collector, etc.
Just my experience, your's may be different.
Tom.
01 F250 4x4 7.3 203,000.
Tforbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.