F-450 rear end gears - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-450 rear end gears

I have an F-450 (2003 7.3 2wd 6 speed)with the std 4.88 open rear end. My dealer tells me there are no optional gear sets available through Ford. The truck is rated to pull 16k lbs approx, I don't go over 10k, so the extra gear is hurting economy and not being utilized.

Does anyone know of options outside of Ford? Who manufactures these rear ends, Ford says they are specific for the F-450.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: F-450 rear end gears

There is a complete rear end for an F350 on ebay right now for $850. You might email the seller and find out the ratio.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe (Sold it, gone to Wisconsin)
1946 Ford Sedan Flathead hotrod
1953 Ford Sedan Vintage A/C, mild hotrod.
1995 Damon Challenger Motorhome
Tobysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

What size is the rear end. You might try Richmond Gear

------------------------------------------------
Necessity is the mother of invention.
If it jams, force it. If it breaks it needed fixing anyway.

01 F-250 PSD 4x4 Extended Cab, Bully Dog Chip, Homemade Tymar, AIH delete, Fumoto Drain Valve, Wicked Wheel.
griffy71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know of options outside of Ford? Who manufactures these rear ends, Ford says they are specific for the F-450.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the F450 is available from Ford with either the stock 4.88:1 or optional 4.30:1 gears so your dealer needs to look at the order sheets. Also, the axles are standard Dana 80's (unless something has changed recently) so you can go to pretty much any axle shop and swap in any gearset that'll fit. Going to a 4.10:1 or higher requires new carriers, but 4.30:1 will definitely fit in what you've got.
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
My dealer tells me there are no optional gear sets available through Ford.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't a dealer - that was an uninformed nincompoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The 4.88 ratio was standard in a 2003 F-450, but a 4.30 ratio was optional. So your Ford dealer can definitely get you the parts to change it to 4.30.

[ QUOTE ]
Who manufactures these rear ends, Ford says they are specific for the F-450.

[/ QUOTE ]

Around 2003 Ford was experimenting with rear ends for the F-450. Before that and after that they have a heavy-duty Dana 80 rear end with a fancy diff cover. Similar to the Dana 80 diff in the F-350 DRW except for the diff cover. But right about then Ford put the new Dana Spicer-110 rear end in some F-450s. So yours might be either the Dana 80 or the Dana S-110. But in either case, 4.30 ratio was optional.

And BTW, a Dana 80 from a pickup won't work. If you can find one from an F-350 chassis cab, that will work. But a pickup frame is wider than a chassis cab frame, so you can't install a rear axle from a pickup without a lot of fabrication, skinned knuckles, and curse words. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

As above, plus I have a '00 450 4x4 that came with 4.88s. To change to 4.30s, I had to change a (front I think) carrier to go with that ratio. Otherwise, IF you have the Dana80HD (don't know about the 110) there are a lot of gearsets available. Buying one from the dealer just means you will be getting the same thing for twice the price. I pull a 26k trailer, and find that I can walk off in OVERDRIVE (0.8555 x. 4.30 = 3.67 equivalent) and low gear with the 4.30s on level ground at idle, grossing 36k - so it tells you how ridiculous the 4.88s were in the first place. If you have a 2WD truck, I would look seriously at 4.10, 3.90 or even 3.73 (will need carriers).

Pat
2000 F450 Lariat 4x4 tractor, rebuild at 200k in '12, Air Dog, Reg Mod, HX & HP all in hard SS lines, bypass filter, Banks Power Elbow w/3.5 dp, no intake heat, CCV mod, AIS (w/extra hole), some big Alliant single shots, GP indicator LED, custom 4" exhaust, 4" USG exhaust brake, custom alum. rear diff cover extension (dipstick & temp), Detroit locker, ESPAR D5 aux. heat, custom alum tow deck and fuel tanks, Bushwacker 1 1/2" flares, 9k winch, gin poles, JWSpeaker 8900 LED headlamps in XL grille, Lightforce 240GT (still Halogen, but VERY bright), Hella Micro DE HID fogs, KW = vision plus (Isspro) instruments, more to come & lots of other diesels
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input guys.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.