F350 vs F250 CC 4x4 auto - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: F350 vs F CC 4x4 auto

The 4x2 will have a better ride. It has coil sprung independent front suspension and the 4x4 has leaf a sprung monobeam front axle. Coils all seem to ride pretty smooth but the front leafs on a 4x4 can be harsh, depending on what weight rating they are. A short box will also ride a bit harder than a long box truck.

Around here F350's bring more money, maybe a grand over a similarly equipped 250.
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Re: F350 vs F250 CC 4x4 auto

Depending on the options, as little as a door sticker and $600.
Oh, and Three other things:
1. Fender badges
2. rednecks saying, "but mine's a one ton"
3. Dieselstop member telling you, "you need a 350 for that load"

BTW It is worth the $600
05 disco (wifes car)
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

All I know is my CC 350 4x4 rides a bit rougher than my friends SC 250 4X4 I borrowed for a few weeks.

But I don't mind really... it makes my wifes boobs bounce more [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] just don't forget to keep your eyes on the road [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Tow Slut: '00 F350 CC LB 4X 7.3L, 151k, John Wood Trans, TN 1.0 BB turbo, 6637, BRV, CCV, 5" exhaust, gauges, DP F5 40-120, one seriously bent tailgate, some crap for a 10.5' cabover and towing a rock crawler.
dysfunctional is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

pull the dipstick on tranny. bright pretty red is good. brown, burnt, or black is bad.
get'm very hot, and the fluid changes color just about the same time they get wounded.

for chips, whine about it and use it to drive the price down. if someone hurt it with a chip, it won't hardly drive around the block and will be missing like it has burned pistons or valves and making huge clouds of blue smoke. you can't hardly hurt them without making blue smoke when driving it, or it msising so bad it shakes your teeth out.

If you drive it, there may be a whining howlingsound from under the hood that gets worse when you turn the steering wheel. Whine about that, and get the price lower.
then change teh powersteering fluid for 10 bucks to fix it.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Chipping the truck is hard on the tranny especially if towing a big 5th wheel. I would pay special attention to it and if you do purchase the truck, change the transmission fluid immediately. They are the one weak link with these trucks. Not saying the chip is bad. Just depends on how the truck was driven. These things need a chip or programmer to make a decent trailer tug out of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

is the 2002 automatic a 4A0D? or a different style? My truck is on its 2nd 4AOD, and its beginning to show signs of wanting to retire too.
Even though it has a premier tranie cooler on it.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
The TOTAL PKG: For Sale 1990 F250 Two-Tone Blue N Silver, SC LB 4x4 Auto 4.11, 51K motor #2. 144K total. 5 core radiator, oil and tranie coolers, Eclipse sound system 2 10" subs, Zapco Amp, 8 disc changer, mids, tweeds(no back seat) Capt chairs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] 03 Ford E-350 alloy rims, Revos, Gemtop Workmaster shell, double bed drawers, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
is the 2002 automatic a 4A0D? or a different style? My truck is on its 2nd 4AOD, and its beginning to show signs of wanting to retire too.
Even though it has a premier tranie cooler on it.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a 4R100 and is near its designed torque limit with a stock engine. Not near as bad as the old Dodges but are still the weaker link in these drive trains. Tranny temp gauges are a must. The factory gauge sucks big time. I change fluid frequently until I can save enough pension cheques for an upgrade.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Overload</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on the options, as little as a door sticker and $600.
Oh, and Three other things:
1. Fender badges
2. rednecks saying, "but mine's a one ton"
3. Dieselstop member telling you, "you need a 350 for that load"

BTW It is worth the $600 </div></div>
first time a cop stops you and your over weight you will have more fun then you can handle.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

As has been said, the only differences for the SRW in the years you are looking at are the rear blocks, badges and the sticker in the door.

The rear axle weight rating was based on the stock tire weight rating. Multiple the stock 250 tire weight rating x2 = 250 rear axle weight rating. Multiple the stock 350 tire weight rating x2 = 350 axle rating.

Who as actually been overloaded in a 250 and had to answer to the po-po? I'm sure its happened but I've never seen anyone admit to it.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #24 (permalink)

"Who as actually been overloaded in a 250 and had to answer to the po-po? I'm sure its happened but I've never seen anyone admit to it."

X2
Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #25 (permalink)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dysfunctional</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I know is my CC 350 4x4 rides a bit rougher than my friends SC 250 4X4 I borrowed for a few weeks.

But I don't mind really... it makes my wifes boobs bounce more </div></div>

That is enough of a reason for me to go with a F350! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 09:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

When I was shopping for my truck, I found that CC/LB combinations were fairly rare in F250s and much more plentiful in F350s. That's a major reason I ended up with a 350. I tow light (~6K), but have plans for a truck camper eventually.

If I had to do it over I'd have gotten 4wd.

99 Jeep TJ / lockers / 37s
KVOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #27 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 250 has a 2" rear block, a 350 has a 4" rear block and a higher resale value. Those are pretty much the only differences </div></div>
NO, try again!
For the early few years of the SD, you could order/buy the truck with either block.

455hp/833tq, Fall Brawl 2007

Sailor for a time, a Patriot forever!
God bless our military forces and God bless America!
OptimusStroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #28 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ACDII</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only thing to keep in mind, do not use an F250 as you would use an F350 as far as towing and hauling heavy loads. It may handle it without a problem, but if you wreck it and someone gets hurt or killed, you will be in some serious trouble for driving an overloaded vehicle. Slapping on a set of F350 rims and tires, in the laws eyes, does not make it an F350. Aside from that, other than what was mentioned above, they are pretty much identical. </div></div>
Many F250's and F350's share the same GVWR/GCWR.
Most suspension manufacturers sell the same lift/suspension for the F250/F350.
I've known of several F350's with the same front axle as the F250's. An F250 with a camper or tow package can be rated heavier than an F350.
It's not accurate to rate the trucks by the badge, atleast not the earlier of the SD. Somewhere around 05 the differences were more specific between the two "sizes" built.

455hp/833tq, Fall Brawl 2007

Sailor for a time, a Patriot forever!
God bless our military forces and God bless America!
OptimusStroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KVOM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was shopping for my truck, I found that CC/LB combinations were fairly rare in F250s and much more plentiful in F350s. That's a major reason I ended up with a 350...</div></div>

I ran into that as well, I sold my '99 supercab PSD for my '02 in my sig because I wanted/needed a CC. I could hardly find a 250 CC LWB around. Not that I regret getting a 350 but it was what was available.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L, 4x4, LB, SRW, Crew Cab, 3.73's, BTS Trans "BTS BUBBA" , 6.0 tranny cooler, DP Tuner NS, stock, 60HP tow, 80HP econo, Autometer Ultralites on pillar & cubby, Ford AIS w/Zoodad, '08 Aluminum Diff. Cover, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Heated Tow Mirrors, Warn Premium hubs, AIH Delete, Go's Headlight Harness, IC Foil Delete, Homemade CCV mod. The Silver Bullitt

My Truck Pics

2006 33' Courgar 5'er W/4 wheelers in tow
2003 Explorer XLT - Mom's Taxi
1990 Honda - the 27 MPG daily beater
1967 Mustang FB on blocks - my other toy
ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM   #30 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OptimusStroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manny F250's and F350's share the same GVWR/GCWR.</div></div>

No. They don't. All '99-up SuperDuty SRWs of the same year have the same GCWR, but the F-350 SRW has more GVWR than the F-250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've known of several F350's with the same front axle as the F250's. </div></div>

All '99-up F-350 SRWs and F-250s with identical options have identical front axles and front suspensions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> An F250 with a camper or tow package can be rated heavier than an F350. </div></div>

No. It can't. Camper, towing, or HD suspension packages do not change the GVWR or GCWR of a '99-up SuperDuty pickup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somewhere around 05 the differences were more specific between the two "sizes" built. </div></div>

For '99-'04 SuperDuty pickups, if you put the tires and wheels for an F-350 SRW on an F-250 with otherwise identical options, there was very little other differences between the two pickups.

But for '05-up SuperDuty pickups there is a big difference in an F-250 and an F-350 SRW. If you put the F-350 SRW tires and wheels on an F-250, there's still a big difference in rear axle weight capacity.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.