F350 worktruck will not start! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy F350 worktruck will not start!

I have a F350 diesel that will not start. It has 2250 pounds of high oil pressure, 40 pounds of fuel pressure, got truck started on ether and it ran rough, started pulling injector wires and the 2 cyclinders on driver side rear weren't firing. the main wiring harness plug is okay, the valve cover gasket is new, and under the valve cover injector the wiring harness is new. When I go to start it it will crank for 15 seconds, then it'll hit for 2 seconds and then nothing.

I know it's not glo plugs, it's full of motor oil, have good oil and fuel pressure. I don't know if the main wiring harness has fire to the injectors. Everything from the main harness under the valve cover it okay. I took an OHM meter and checked the 2 dead injectors and they OHM'd the same as the 2 good injectors.

When it was running I pulled all plugs off injectors one at a time and the motor died down on all of them but on the left hand rear plug.

ANY SUGGESTIONS or IDEAS please?
gibagser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
First think I would do is put battery charger on it as it needs 10.5 volts while cranking to fire injectors.

Engine need this to start
voltage min 10.5 while cranking
rpm of 100 as cranking
icp of 0.85 or 500 psi HPOP
fuel pulse with 1 to 6 milliseconds

Are you getting tach reading of 100?
Does it no start cold and hot or just cold?
If you plug it in will it start?
How old is CPS ?

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles

Last edited by Excavator; 03-03-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

the motor cranks fast the batterys are good.it's been pluged in since this mourning since it wouldn't start.i don't know about the tach? my wife was cranking it while i was checking the oil and fuel pressure.it ran fine sat. then mon. it woundn't start,like noglow plugsworking. but the relay is putting fire to them.the truck has 198600miles the only thing that has been replaced is the crank sensor about 50000miles ago.it does have a 65hp chip its has been in it since day one!
Old 03-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

3 things to try
remove the chip and try it
replace the cps if that many miles
check the tach and wts light

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

The motor can crank all day long....you need 10 volts while cranking to fire injectors.

Use a DVM @ a battery to check while cranking.
2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew *4" BDS suspension lift w/315-75's * Ford AIS * MKO 5" exhaust * All 4 corners cleared * Front Reese Receiver * Draw Tite Fold Over Gooseneck * Reese 15K Sliding 5er * Gauges Whited Out * IC Foil Delete * Dieselsite Coolant Filter kit * DiPricol Optix White Faced Turbo,Pyro,Trans Gauges w/Dash Mount Pod * DP Tuner F5 60T 80E 120R 140X * John Wood Valve Body * ITP SS X-Over Line * ITP Boost Annihilator * 6.0 Trans Cooler * TCI Truck Master Triple Disc Billet Converter (-200 RPM) * Reviva Transmission * ESOF Converted to Manual Warn Hubs * 203' Thermostat * Turbomaster Wastegate Actuator * Gutted EBPV * Centramatics * Walbro GLS392 * Ford AICM * ITP Pre-pump * One Very Understanding Wife*

I AM AN AMERICAN, SO I DRIVE AMERICAN.
fxdwgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

also check to see if you get white smoke while cranking.
How do you know glow plugs are working?
Did you ohm them out?
Did you check the GP relay with volt meter

Old 03-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

no white smoke.didn't ohm relay or check battery volts!the truck will start on ether but run on 6 cyl.s what ever the problem is has to do with the rear driver side cyl.s
Old 03-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Did I read this correctly, you have 2 dead injectors?
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

when i unplugged the plug to the valve cover it didn't change the engine tone like the other 3 plugs did
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

No white smoke, then your injectors are not sending fuel. The IDM is not sending signal to any injectors or you would have tons of white smoke as you crank with no start. Your 2 injectors not running tells me you had the truck running but now you say not running. I would suggest you inspect that wire harness for short somewhere as if you have a short it can shut down the IDM. Now speaking of IDM you could also have water build up in the IDM and that is the reason for those 2 injectors not running. Again I ask if you have tach movement of 100 rpm?
Do you get WTS (wait to start) light?

check fuse # 22 and fuse # 9 in engine compartment
1996 Bronco/F-Series

Last edited by Excavator; 03-04-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

i had the truck scanned today and it said computer failed error. so i took mr. bullydog out and it started and ran just like brand new!THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT!!!!it might be slow now but atleast its hitting on all 8 again!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thats good you are back running. Time for a better chip

Old 04-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Red face F350 Worktruck will not start!

I'm having the same trouble but instead getting the white smoke. Any advice would be great. No one around these parts have been able to guess what this is. I just bought the truck, the harness from the lower left area across the middle to the firewall has about 5 wires. 2 of them were melted together. Previous when I tried to start it, Often she wouldn't until i tapped on the harness - I would hear a Click and she'd start right up! Is there a switch back there, and if there is how would I fix this? You can tell I'm new with the diesel. Any ideas guys!? Thank you! This is a 1986 F350 Diesel 7.3 Flat/Dualies. ~Andrew
andrew_draper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_draper View Post
I'm having the same trouble but instead getting the white smoke. Any advice would be great. No one around these parts have been able to guess what this is. I just bought the truck, the harness from the lower left area across the middle to the firewall has about 5 wires. 2 of them were melted together. Previous when I tried to start it, Often she wouldn't until i tapped on the harness - I would hear a Click and she'd start right up! Is there a switch back there, and if there is how would I fix this? You can tell I'm new with the diesel. Any ideas guys!? Thank you! This is a 1986 F350 Diesel 7.3 Flat/Dualies. ~Andrew
The click you hear , may be the Glow plug relay ,,,you should hear it , just by turning on the key ,,,

Did you repair the wiring ?
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

F350 Glow plug replay?

Yes repaired it with a professional electrician - pretty basic - replaced the melted sections of wire. But now it seems that the switch is switched the other way and should be switched once more to be correct? The truck tries hard to turn over, great new batteries, but never does so. thanks for help with this!
andrew_draper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.