Ford rebuilt transmission - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford rebuilt transmission

Parts will sell me a remanufactured tranny with a 36/36000 mile warranty for around $1800 bucks.
Anyone try a reman from ford? I don't have the $4000 bucks to spend on Brian's tranny. This one went South with 120k. Use a Superchips tuned to preformance tow....pulled about 20 yds mulch for commercial installation in city traffic. Forgot to detune? Does it make a difference crawing in traffic? Started having problems, put in 14 qts mercon to date.
I think I will roll the dice...the parts guy is one of our cutting customers..gave me discount off list...what do you think?
btw 99' f350 cab chassis.
early 99' F-350 cab/chassis. My flatbed dually work truck, also used for personal transportation, its a blast to drive amongst the Smugmobiles I encounter everyday, they just move out of way...in fear?..love it!
2001 7.3 engine with 110k miles.
2007 lsd rear axle dually. 75k miles. oops! just checked my post..the rear axle is a 2004.
Bilstein shocks.
Super Chips tuner set to tow performance.
Isspro gauges for boost exhaust temp trann temp. Heck, I even got a Kenwood stereo!
Did the bellows up pipe thing...a highly over rated experience I might add.
landscaper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford rebuilt transmission

so far i have had two ford remaned trannies in my 96 one lasted 20k and literally exploded.....cracked case and spewed all the fluid out........second one lasted about 65k and the clutches were starting to turn fresh tranny fluid brown from all the material being chewed up.........so i bit the bullet and had brian ship me a new one and just let mastercard pay for it on the 6 months no interest plan [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
96 f-350 2wd dually powerstroke roach coach 365k BTS tranny,4.10, XLT,alcoa alloys,tymar intake,western diesel downpipe, a/c bypass mod,coolant filter behind front bumper, beans stage 1's,dp tuner 60hp pcm, hx hardline crossover from ITP......

01 f-350 dually powerstroke lariat supercab 61k 4.10 4x4 ESOF, leather, heated seats all the toys i dont need, 4r100,garret ball bearing turbo,tymar intake, ccv redirected out under the truck,magnaflow 4inch tuner exhaust, a/c bypass mod,zoodad mod,autometer cobalt pyro boost and tranny,dp tuner 4program chip,ITP complete regulated return fuel kit,ITP hx crossover hard line,203 t-stat and dieselsite billet t-stat neck, coolant filter,dieselsite high pressure intercooler boots

2009 F-450 dually 6.4 auto 4.30 2wd XLT power pedals,aux cab heater, dual alternators,bostonian catering body,stock everything for now......things to change soon
chris bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

its a roll of the dice, I have seen parts left out, clearances way out out of spec, etc. be sure to replace the air to fluid cooler and flush the lines and rad cooler if equiped. Install the magnefine filter supplied with it. Hope for the best, the warranty is good, just keep all the paperwork.

69 mustang, 472", c/4
9 sec alky injected bracket bomber....

529" in the works as we speak
Richter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Here is the history of my 99 F350 with regards to the transmission:

May 1999 truck purchased new.

March 2001 @ 21871 miles trans and valve body overhauled

May 2003 @ 56828 miles remanufactured transmission installed

Feb 2006 @ 83408 miles new torque converter installed

April 2006 @ 85665 miles I have transmission problems again.

My current trans problem is likely the coast clutch (if I have done my homework correctly). Whenever you take your foot off the gas, the RPMs will drop to idle. As a result there is no engine braking. Furthermore, if you downshift to 2 or 1 (foot off gas) the RPMs will drop to idle.

If it is your money then I can't imagine giving one penny of it to Ford for one of their transmissions! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
its a roll of the dice, I have seen parts left out, clearances way out out of spec, etc. be sure to replace the air to fluid cooler and flush the lines and rad cooler if equiped. Install the magnefine filter supplied with it. Hope for the best, the warranty is good, just keep all the paperwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, He said that the cooler needed to be changed, the warranty looks good. He did say keep all records in case I need to make a claim. Youd think that Ford would be the best place to get a reman since they made it to begin with??
early 99' F-350 cab/chassis. My flatbed dually work truck, also used for personal transportation, its a blast to drive amongst the Smugmobiles I encounter everyday, they just move out of way...in fear?..love it!
2007 lsd rear axle dually. 75k miles. oops! just checked my post..the rear axle is a 2004.
Bilstein shocks.
Isspro gauges for boost exhaust temp trann temp. Heck, I even got a Kenwood stereo!
Old 04-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I'm not real hot on the remans, but I have seen worse come out the "other" shops as well. For the money its a good deal, only way to do it better for as much is to build it yourself.

69 mustang, 472", c/4
9 sec alky injected bracket bomber....

529" in the works as we speak
Richter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I guess you guys are IGNORING my post above...I am on major trans failure #4...and if you count a tork converter, then it is major failure #5....this is in 85k. I would stay away from those piles of junk....or I just have the worst luck in the world.
TDS member #49 - 1999.5 (Built 4/26/99) White F350, CC, SRW, LWB, Lariat, AIC, 4R100 (4th transmission before 85k - gotta love this tranny), 6.0 trans cooler, manual shift 4wd, 3 inch leveling kit, KING reservoir shocks, 285-75-16 Bridgestone REVOs, Performance Friction Pads all around, Powerslot Cryo'd rotors in front, CD player, Infinity REF 6800CS speakers (front and rear), Garmin 2610 GPS (hardwired), 40/20/40 leather seats, heated turn signal- TT mirrors, Titan V hitch, weatherguard box, DP Tuner 4 Position chip (love it), AIS intake, Diesel Site CAC Boots, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Diesel Innovations Up Pipe, gutted EBPV, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, X-Monitor. NO STEERING WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED!

Jack
jgarden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

[ QUOTE ]
pulled about 20 yds mulch for commercial installation in city traffic. Forgot to detune? Does it make a difference crawing in traffic? Started having problems, put in 14 qts mercon to date.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crawling in traffic with a load can cook a tranny. The TC never locks and creates a lot of heat. Regardless of which way you go, get a decent tranny temp gauge.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Jgarden thinks he had it bad. I bought a reman trans from PHX in Phoenix.
Aside from their lies and terrible service, the first trans lasted 400 miles and the OD clutch blew apart.

The second trans last 125 miles and the solenoid pack went South.

I spent $500 on repairs and they only reimbursed me $140.

The trans is still not right. It has 2 oversize pan bolts that eliminate the gasket spacers and it leaks. It shifts erratic and mushy.

I am going to pull it out and go through it myself. I would have done that originally, but I was 1000 miles from home when it went out the first time.
1929 Model A Ford Sport Coupe (Sold it, gone to Wisconsin)
1946 Ford Sedan Flathead hotrod
1953 Ford Sedan Vintage A/C, mild hotrod.
1995 Damon Challenger Motorhome
Tobysdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I guess you guys are IGNORING my post above...I am on major trans failure #4...and if you count a tork converter, then it is major failure #5....this is in 85k. I would stay away from those piles of junk....or I just have the worst luck in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just an Opinon But.... The ONLY thing you have with a Ford Reman Tranny is Fords name behind it, >MAYBE<. (depending on how the Dealer & the Area Rep. feels about it)

Depending on the "Luck'a the Draw" a Ford reman could be rebuilt by a reputable transmission repair facility or, Bubba Joe's Tranny Shop & Cafe.

So, If we don't mind haveing to be without our SD every Xk miles for Ford to fix the tranny AGAIN. A Ford Reman is the way to go.

OR, we can't spend the Buck'os for a tranny that is BUILT to handle the use we need it to handle.

I go with: Have it Rebuild it ONCE, the right way. Or, buy one of basicaly Bullit Proof Tranys we know of from Vendors here on TDS.

Again, just an Opinion.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

JOE
2K, F-350, XLT, XCAB, 2WD, DRW, 6 Spd, 3.73LS, 4 Pod pillar mnt, EGT, Boost, Trans/Engine temp, Fuel press. guages, Quadzilla 50/75/120,ES AIS w/fender mod, Shimmed FPR, Dahl pre-pump filter, HX Mod, Racor (Mod'd) CCV, Premo oil Refiner, W/Wheel with both TAGs, Banks W/gate actuator, DT466 CPS, 6.0 Intercooler, Banks I/C tubes & DPP boots, 25psi BPRV, Full 4" exhst, AeroTurbine w/exhaust guide, MagnaFlow, Intake Heater Delete, Heater core bypass, 203* Thermo, Coolant Fltr., "Hutch" Tank & Fuel system Mods,fill pipe fix, Mag-Hytec Dif cvr, Fumoto, Bilstiens, SafeTplus Steering Dampner, Centramatic's, Ride Rites, SilverStars, Clear APC Head/Tail/Corner & all Marker lights, 2 850cca Optima's, Ultra Boards, Burlwood Dash, XM radio, Billit Grill (Black). TTMs/C-beters. Pull a 32 ft Montana FW. 102K
BIG JOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks everyone for the advice. The tranny is setting at the dealership, waiting on me to pick it up and get it installed this weekend.
I would have liked to get one from BTS, but I can't afford the time for an appointment or afford the price right now....

Maybe after the Spring push I'll have the time, I know I'll have the money then!
Gonna have to take my chances here.
I am going to get a gauge pak. Just don't know where to get it yet....tranny gauge, boost gauge, and what else...pyro exhaust temp?
Bilstein shocks.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, He said that the cooler needed to be changed, the warranty looks good. He did say keep all records in case I need to make a claim. Youd think that Ford would be the best place to get a reman since they made it to begin with??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford doesn't do any rebuilding, they use outside vendors for that and the factory unit wasn't that great to begin with. I've had two Ford remans, both failed prematurely on a STOCK engine. After much yelling and jumping up and down I got a BRAND NEW Ford tranny (an '03 model) I purchased an ATS TripleLok convertor, and had the Ford dealer install it instead of the junk one that came with the new tranny. As soon as I got home I installed the Sonnex/Trcummulator mod and tuned my truck with my SCMT to the high power setting where it's been for 180,000mi. I now have other hp mods (in sig) but have yet to have issue with the transmission. (knock, knock) When I do, it will go to ATS for rebuilding and receive a Five Star convertor.

I change the fluid and the Magnafine filter at 30,000mi with Valvoline Max-Life and one bottle of Lucas Stop-Slip.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ford has any more brand new 4R100's as they are out of production as far as I know. If I couldn't afford a BTS or ATS I'd go to a local rebuilder before I'd buy a mass produced reman from Ford, regardless of the warranty. Either way you need an aftermarket convertor, the Ford unit will not hold up long if you're towing heavy or have hp mods.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.