The Diesel Stop banner

Front Axle Question

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
Hi, all-

My steering stabilizer broke off the bracket that is welded to the front axle cover (sheath?) on my 2000 Excursion (4WD). This is the bracket that has U bolts that go over the leaf springs.

I'm wondering what my path to recovery might be.

Is it possible to have a new bracket welded onto the axle sheath? Or do I have to replace the axle sheath?

If so, how involved is that? Do I need to get it up on a lift or could I potentially do it from home?

Oh, and if I removed the stabilizer entirely, would I be OK to drive it to a shop? Carefully, of course.

Best,

Hog

#2 ·
You can remove it and drive without it. My truck came without one. I installed one after I owned it a couple of years and didn't really even notice much of a difference with it installed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
If you mostly drive on pavement and only occasional dirt road then you'll most likely never know it's missing. If you have a lot of dirt road and heavy off road then you might want to upgrade it to a better one. All it does is take some of the 'jar' out of the system when you hit something hard.

#4 ·
Are you talking about the steering stabilizer (shock absorber type affair) or the track bar that goes between the frame on the driver's side and the axle at the right side spring mount? If it's the latter, I'd be reluctant to drive it. The track bar mount has been repaired by welding by some that have had problems with it. If it's just the steering stabilizer, then no problem driving without it.
A picture of the break would be helpful.

#5 ·
Are you talking about the steering stabilizer (shock absorber type affair) or the track bar that goes between the frame on the driver's side and the axle at the right side spring mount? ... A picture of the break would be helpful.

I went out this evening to remove the steering stabilizer and take a few pictures.

I'm attaching the best one, believe it or not.

The bracket on the left side of the stabilizer is attached to what I think is the track bar. That bar is hiding behind the bracket in the attached photo.

That bracket broke off the axle plate that has two U bolts that slide over the top of the leaf springs and hold the axle in place.

You can see one of the bolts to the left and slightly above the bracket that is hanging down.

The whole thing looks pretty weak. I don't know if it's possible to remove the existing axle plate, or perhaps reinforce it?

I agree about being reluctant to drive it at this point, I'd have to remove the track bar to do so.

Any suggestions?

I hate the idea of having to replace the axle for a broken bracket.

Best,

Hog

Attachments

#6 ·
That's the stabilizer. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can drive perfectly fine without it.

#7 ·
Agree on the steering stabilizer, but behind the bracket, and you can't see it in this picture, the track bar is also attached to that piece of bracket.
After removing the steering stabilizer, the bracket is still hanging there.

#8 ·
Ahh. Ok. I see the bracket now. Might need a better picture of the bracket or to crawl under and look at mine...

#9 ·
I happen to have a minute so I looked at mine for a better assessment...
That's your track bar, no driving like that! How good are you with a welder?
Yes that entire bracket is welded to the axle but it's not actually 'part' of the axle so I imagine you could get a new bracket (even if maybe from a junk yard) and mark where the old one was before cutting it off and welding the new one on. Or simply weld yours back together.

#10 ·
Are the u-bolts still attached and tight?
That bracket is not available new from Ford, but you could definitely get one from a wrecking yard. It would have to be a bent or otherwise unusable axle housing for them to let you cut one off. You'd have to carefully cut it off so that the geometry is right when you weld it on to your axle. You might also be able to weld your bracket back together where it cracked and add some extra metal to support it.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.