Front axle seal - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front axle seal

2002 F250, It appears that a rubber lip has broken off the outside of the large front axle seals, both sides. Ring flopping around. I checked my sons truck and his look the same. Is this commom? Does this affect the seal effectiveness? I see where this seal is about $40 and not to easy to get to. Thanks, T
bigtbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Those are the dust seals and it appears to be a common issue on these trucks. While I don't have to deal with it on my 2WD, I would be uncomfortable leaving them that way if I had a 4WD. That said, I've read a lot of 4WD owners say they don't believe it necessary to fix them. Here's a write-up on the hub maintenance that includes replacing the dust seals:

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just cut mine off. They don't seal any lube, just keep dust/dirt out of axle tube. Old trucks never had those seals and still lasted for many years. When I rebuilt my front axle I did put new ones on and they will be cut off as soon as they come apart again.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think there is a SuperDuty out there that actually has these seals intact (not for very long, at least). Mine looked just like you described. They are just dust seals and the actual fluid seals are in the differential where the axle tubes meet the housing. When I pulled my axles out to put in a locking differential, the inside of the tubes was pretty clean, so you probably don't have much to worry about. Same thing will happen to the replacement seals, so I would save the money.
Warn 16.5Ti winch w/ hidden mount
Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers
Dynatrac Free-Spin Front Hub Conversion
Edge Juice Programmer
Fabtech Ladder Bars

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced package - Southeastern Connecticut - Just bring beer!
Greg03PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the seals outboard of the u-joints, guys, as he said $40 each. The little rubber dust seals are maybe $10 each, and as you say aren't critical. But the big seal in the knuckle can leak vacuum and cause the auto locking hubs not to work, as well as potentially pull water/dirt into the bearing area when the vacuum is applied to try to lock the hubs.

The early trucks had rubber covers on the knuckle seals, which is what starts flopping around, but the later trucks ('04s for sure) used a metal shield inboard of the seal. Trouble is, the shield sometimes gets hooked behind the knuckle bore, making it very difficult to pull the axle shaft out.

OIL SEAL-FRONT AXLE (outer)
F81Z-3254-CB
3C3Z-3254-CA "2nd design"
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

This looks like a rubber ring that broke away from the large seal. How would this happen to both trucks. It must be a design flaw. Should I pull everything apart and replace? I bet it will happen again. Thanks, T
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

If it just the dust seal common issue I would not bother with it.
Heres a good picture of the two
Old 03-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

After extensive research on the net it appears to be the dust seal that separates all the time. I called a shop and was told that if 4 wheel drive is used they change into an O ring in no time. Most say it is nothing to worry about. One guy calls this the Hula hoops for super duties axles. Seems strange to me but I guess I'll live with it, I don't off road anyway. T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.