Front wheel bearing unit install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front wheel bearing unit install

When replacing the front wheel bearing unit, (2000/psd/f250/4x4/r-abs/swd)are there any grease areas to pack for lubrication of the bearing and the dive axle bearing?
BURT28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: Front wheel bearing unit install

The wheel bearing units are unitized and use sealed bearings. No lube required. If you have the ABS version of these, you could inject grease through the ABS hole.

The axle shaft bearing is a small torrigton roller bearing that could take some grease. Not sure on the Ford specs though. I just put a dab of wheel bearing grease on it when I changed my wheel bearings.

450 cubes, fully studded, modified.
4R100 built by me with Suncoast/Transgo/Sonnax/Ford parts.
325/65/18 BFG A/Ts on Ultra rims, custom 4" lift with rear shackle flip(no blocks), Rancho 9000Xs, Homemade bypass fuel system, bypass oil filter, Racor CCV filter, 3.5/4/5 custom exhaust, 8 yr old DI 4 pos chip, and some other stuff.

22 year US Navy vet (retired)
ASE Master Auto Tech
My Pics (Webshots)
http://s414.photobucket.com/home/Stangrcr72
stangrcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

The axle shaft bearing is a small torrigton roller bearing that could take some grease. Not sure on the Ford specs though. I just put a dab of wheel bearing grease on it when I changed my wheel bearings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to try to replace my bearing/hub assy this weekend, what do I need to do the job other than the new hub assy and the ratchet and socket to take apart and put together?
99 (8/98) F350 XLT CC LWB SRW 4X4 6spd ZF, Hide-a-ball Gooseneck Hitch, Line-X Bed Liner, Custom Running Boards & Camper Tiedowns, 11.5 ft Caribou by Fleetwood Camper, 24 ft Haulmark Elite 10,000 lb Car Hauler, Superchips Tuner, Toyo 305/70R16 Tires on Weld Typhoon's, Bushwacker Fender Flares
SuperdutyPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[
I am going to try to replace my bearing/hub assy this weekend, what do I need to do the job other than the new hub assy and the ratchet and socket to take apart and put together?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a large O-ring around the hub assembly. I couldn't find one anywhere except a Ford dealer.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a large O-ring around the hub assembly. I couldn't find one anywhere except a Ford dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the purpose of the O-ring
99 (8/98) F350 XLT CC LWB SRW 4X4 6spd ZF, Hide-a-ball Gooseneck Hitch, Line-X Bed Liner, Custom Running Boards & Camper Tiedowns, 11.5 ft Caribou by Fleetwood Camper, 24 ft Haulmark Elite 10,000 lb Car Hauler, Superchips Tuner, Toyo 305/70R16 Tires on Weld Typhoon's, Bushwacker Fender Flares
SuperdutyPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

There is a snap ring on the stub shaft behind the locking hub. I use a snap ring plyers to remove/replace the ring.
DENNY
Old 01-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

I know I had my front right replace last week at the dealer and they also informed me that the shaft that goes into the differential was scratched up. End result I ended up shelling out $2100 for repairs. They replace wheel assembly, shaft and both 4x4 hubs...

soooo good luck if you can do it yourself.
TxBlueroan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.