Fuel filter housing diagram - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter housing diagram

Does anyone have a diagram of exactly how the stock fuel filter housing works (what lines coming in are for and what and the little special fuel valve that a few of the vendors have designed exactly does on the top right that has two screws that hold it on)? I'm curious to what exactly that little valve or whatever it is does that is on the top right of the fuel fitler housing. Why do you have to have that special made fitting that ITP and Dieselsite have to make a true pressure gauge work or integrate a fuel system into it to work properly? Where does the fuel supply line coming from the tank go to on the housing? Where does the return line going back to the tank go (does it go back into the housing?)? Where do the fuel supply lines that go to the heads go to on the housing? I have an extra fuel filter housing sitting in front of me but not sure exactly what all the ports coming out of it are for.

Truck Pic's
QtrHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)
Re: Fuel filter housing diagram

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a diagram of exactly how the stock fuel filter housing works (what lines coming in are for and what and the little special fuel valve that a few of the vendors have designed exactly does on the top right that has two screws that hold it on)? I'm curious to what exactly that little valve or whatever it is does that is on the top right of the fuel fitler housing. Why do you have to have that special made fitting that ITP and Dieselsite have to make a true pressure gauge work or integrate a fuel system into it to work properly? Where does the fuel supply line coming from the tank go to on the housing? Where does the return line going back to the tank go (does it go back into the housing?)? Where do the fuel supply lines that go to the heads go to on the housing? I have an extra fuel filter housing sitting in front of me but not sure exactly what all the ports coming out of it are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fuel return is the line you see on the top right of the housing. It is directly connected to the regulator thing you described.

The fuel supply is the line going into the same side of the housing but a few inches below the return line.

on the lower back side of the housing there are two lines that are the fuel feed line to each head.

there is also a plugged port on the right back side that you can remove and hook a fuel pressure guage to.

fuel pressure is maintained in the system by increasing or decreasing the spring pressure inside the regulator that the return line is hooked to.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Hammer;

Why do a couple of the vendors have to make those special fittings that connect to the regulator thingy? why couldn't you just remove the sping and the little cup that holds it (I just cleaned and completely dissasembled the extra fuel fitler housing that I have and completely took apart that factory regulator thing) and use a few different type of Aeroquip fittings to plumb in into a aftermarket regulator and then back to the return line?

There are two extra plugs, one is the one you described that is on the back of the housing and then there is one that connects to the fuel out ports that go to the heads. What is the extra plug for that connects to the ports that go to the heads for?

What is or where is the air bleed that I hear everyone talk about on the stock fuel filter housing?

Truck Pic's
Old 06-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)

[ QUOTE ]
Why do a couple of the vendors have to make those special fittings that connect to the regulator thingy? why couldn't you just remove the sping and the little cup that holds it (I just cleaned and completely dissasembled the extra fuel fitler housing that I have and completely took apart that factory regulator thing) and use a few different type of Aeroquip fittings to plumb in into a aftermarket regulator and then back to the return line?

[/ QUOTE ]

ITP's regulated return kit fitting keeps the air bleed from the filter housing active (see below). With that kit, the fuel returns from the heads to the regulator, then back to the tank thru the fitting, where any air from the filter housing gets back to the tank.

You could replace the factory regulator with an aftermarket regulator, but you'd still have dead-end fuel rails in the heads. It would be a lot of work, and little if any benefit.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the extra plug for that connects to the ports that go to the heads for?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] Connection to a third head? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Most likely just a plug needed to close a drilling port when they built the housing.

[ QUOTE ]
What is or where is the air bleed that I hear everyone talk about on the stock fuel filter housing?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at the top of the fuel filter, you should see a small hole in the top near the perimeter. Also if you look at the cap, you should see two small holes thru it near the top threads. Those holes allow air to get out of the cavity that would otherwise trap air above the bottom of the cap. I think that the regulator inlet port is in or near the threaded portion of the bowl that mates with the cap. The air goes out thru the holes and out the regulator inlet port and back to the fuel tank.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

klhansen;

I understand what you mean about still having a dead head system. I was refering to TheDieselsite's new adjustable regulator without the full regulated return and was also thinking about how to build my own full regulated return system as well. I know why Bob's adjustable regulator only is a little pricey (regulator, fuel lines and special fitting. That marine regulator is expensive all on it's own but very good quality) but was curious if I could build my own. My question was, could you leave the factory regulator there but without the spring and cup that holds the spring and then use some Aeroquip type fittings after the regulator that you could plumb an aftermarket regulator after the factory regulator and then use one of the ports on the aftermarket regulator to plumb the fuel return line back to the tank?

Truck Pic's
Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was looking into determining my electric pump pressure when I read in this thread about a plugged fitting someone was talking about on the filter housing. And it was mentioned that is where a gauge could be hooked up. What should the pressure read at this outlet?
Thanx Nick
Hawsie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
I was looking into determining my electric pump pressure when I read in this thread about a plugged fitting someone was talking about on the filter housing. And it was mentioned that is where a gauge could be hooked up. What should the pressure read at this outlet?
Thanx Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Stock pressure is in the mid 50's if I remember correctly. Our stock injectors tend to like around 65-70 though.

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to dOGhAIR

I've seen mention of shimming the stock FPR for higher pressure, now I see why. Any links to the procedure?
Also I am working on bypassing my stock element by epoxying the pleats etc into a plug, I have shaved off the "groove" that houses the o ring on the element and I was hoping that would allow fuel to run up to where I thought it exits the filter. I plan on filling the element completly, I had thought about a tube through the filter to allow flow to the center but it seemed like the o ring removal would let fuel up too. Now you mention the function of the holes in the thread I'm questioning my logic. It seems like you understand the filter better than I do (not hard) do you see any flaws in this idea? I will be adding a remote filter. This is to reduce purge times in my svo conversion.
Thanks.
dOGhAIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.