Fuel filter leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter leak

I just had (Ok a week ago last Saturday) a problem with fuel leaking from between the filter cover, gasket and housing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I found (what I thought) the cover to be a little loose. So I tightened the cover, but it still leaked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I took the cover off and checked the gasket and the sealing surfaces. Everything looked OK so I put it all back together and it leaked more. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] To try and keep it short, on about the 6th try I got it to seal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] During the week I picked up a new filter and gasket from NAPA. Installed it and had no problems with sealing on the first try. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Now during this I noted that at times it can be very hard to remove the filter cover. I also noted that I had to be very careful on threading the cover on, to prevent cross threading. (As far as I can tell it never did start to cross thread, but I just don't trust the plastic fiber fuel cover.) I was hoping that may be someone produced a billet cover with a better seal, but have yet to locate one. (No I'm not solicitating for sales posts, just putting it out that I looked).
Now my questions are as follows
1.) Has anyone else had this problem?
2.) Do you think it was just a bad gasket?
3.) How likely is it to cross thread the cover?
4.) From others experience, is this just a fluke that is most likely to not happen again.

As always thanks to those the take the time to put forth their opinions, ideas and past experiences.

Thank You
DACriss
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
'99 F250 SD,XLT,PSD,4X4,6spd,3:73,LB, SRW, Steel Horse billet grille, Catch all floor mats,VDO vision boost-EGT-OST dash pod,Mongoose CB, Luk flywheel, Carolina P-plate and Kevlar disc, Built 10/98, received mid Dec., Edge 4.5 lift, Adj. Pan-Rod, Bilstein Shocks,35-12.5x18 Toyo m/T on MKW MK19 10x18 wheels, AFE stage-2 intake,KCM S.S. High Pressure Crossover Kit, '03 TT mirror convertion, '03 AM/FM 6-disk radio, billet thermostat housing w/203* stat, Coolant filter, Evans coolant, Heater/A-C mod., SSBC V8 brake calipers, slotted rotors, custom dual steering stabilizer w/Fox Shocks, Blue Torch front diff cover
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: Fuel filter leak

Maybe the rubber beveled gasket for the lid was installed upside down? It goes on one way only. I never put in on wrong but I'd imagine it would leak like a sun of a gun if it's on wrong. Just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L, 4x4, LB, SRW, Crew Cab, 3.73's, BTS Trans "BTS BUBBA" , 6.0 tranny cooler, DP Tuner NS, stock, 60HP tow, 80HP econo, Autometer Ultralites on pillar & cubby, Ford AIS w/Zoodad, '08 Aluminum Diff. Cover, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Heated Tow Mirrors, Warn Premium hubs, AIH Delete, Go's Headlight Harness, IC Foil Delete, Homemade CCV mod. The Silver Bullitt

My Truck Pics

2006 33' Courgar 5'er W/4 wheelers in tow
2003 Explorer XLT - Mom's Taxi
1990 Honda - the 27 MPG daily beater
1967 Mustang FB on blocks - my other toy
ponyboychris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Yeah, I've actually had to really study the instructions that come with the filter to make absolutely sure that I have the bevel going the right direction. So far, everything has been good with no leaks. (note to self...you probably just jinxed yourself [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]).
I wonder why the lid seal has to be beveled? Seems like a round oring would seal tighter, with less chance of getting it wrong?
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Access bed cover, Bed Rug, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, 125K somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything]
Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), driver door pwrlock actuator, water pump

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had this problem in the fall and after creating quite a mess I finally got it solved. Upon very close inspection of the lid under a magnifying glass, I found a small hairline crack in the lid. After $53 from the dealer, I got a new one and have had no problem since.
Early '99 F350 SRW.3:73 Gears DP Tuner Chip,AFE MAGNUM FORCE AIR INTAKE,FORD REPLACEMENT TORQUE CONVERTER, REMOTE START, NEW Delphi CPS, Ford Blue CPS as SPARE ,BLACKCLOUD DIESEL HX OIL LINE.
pandersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always install a new cap/filter combo. I have seen too many leaks just installing the filter. Less than $30.00 at the local parts house. Just my opinion.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Thanks for the responses.
For awhile I had quite a time and I was sure the Murphy had caught up with me. I could just see an engine fire if the diesel had caught (and I had quite a bit of it all over the place). I'm sure I didn't have it wrong, but who knows. I had it off so much, even I couldn't tell you. I even went as far as to fine an 'O'-ring that came close to try; no go with it. The 'O'-ring sprayed fuel out of all sides of the filter cover.
I'm thinking now that the 'O'-ring must have a small defect or something. I know that the replacement worked the first time. I am keeping a close eye on it for awhile
I did wonder it the cover/cap could have been part of the problem. That is why I was looking for a billet unit that may be used an 'O'-ring (I like 'O'-rings better). But it must not be much of a problem for someone to invest and produce. With a new OEM at $30 to $40 approx, it's most likely not work the cost.
Thank You
DACriss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
'99 F250 SD,XLT,PSD,4X4,6spd,3:73,LB, SRW, Steel Horse billet grille, Catch all floor mats,VDO vision boost-EGT-OST dash pod,Mongoose CB, Luk flywheel, Carolina P-plate and Kevlar disc, Built 10/98, received mid Dec., Edge 4.5 lift, Adj. Pan-Rod, Bilstein Shocks,35-12.5x18 Toyo m/T on MKW MK19 10x18 wheels, AFE stage-2 intake,KCM S.S. High Pressure Crossover Kit, '03 TT mirror convertion, '03 AM/FM 6-disk radio, billet thermostat housing w/203* stat, Coolant filter, Evans coolant, Heater/A-C mod., SSBC V8 brake calipers, slotted rotors, custom dual steering stabilizer w/Fox Shocks, Blue Torch front diff cover
dacriss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.