Fuel filter leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel filter leak

This is my first thread posting on this site. I've got a 2000 7.3 and its leaking diesel fuel. I located the leak coming from the fuel drain valve. Guessing its one of two o-rings needing replaced? So I went to Ford today and got the o-ring set. Has anyone encountered this leak? Also will the diesel fuel mess anything up that it has leaked on and should I spray soapy water down in the valley to remove all fuel and residue? Could this leak cause a decrease in power? Thanks to anyone who can help.
GatorLee89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm guessing we all have experienced this. It is probably the most common leak on a PSD. No decrease in power - just leaking diesel. It won't hurt anything, but you should keep the valley reasonably clean so you can identify future leaks. There are actually three o-rings you should replace - one inside the valve and two at the mating surface. Check out this site for a .pdf instruction (where you should have bought the o-rings

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

dray8165 thanks a lot. The Ford dealership charges $67.10 for the fuel filter O-ring set! I'll be returning it and ordering the set from that website.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorLee89 View Post
dray8165 thanks a lot. The Ford dealership charges $67.10 for the fuel filter O-ring set! I'll be returning it and ordering the set from that website.
$67 should be for the valve itself which is what leaks - not the o-rings. (at least I have never seen the o-rings FOR THE VALVE cause a leak) Incidentally the valves were on backorder from the supplier not long ago and I had to wait a week for the one I ordered to come in. I think we ended up getting it from another dealer.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
$67 should be for the valve itself which is what leaks - not the o-rings. (at least I have never seen the o-rings FOR THE VALVE cause a leak) Incidentally the valves were on backorder from the supplier not long ago and I had to wait a week for the one I ordered to come in. I think we ended up getting it from another dealer.
Yeah but it's ford! If they charged $28 for a fuse it wouldn't surprise me at all. I would buy a new engine before i'd buy a set of injectors at the dealer. They got me way back on a gpr, nobody had one and mine decenegrated and they charged me $96 for a $25 part.
1995 cc dually 2wd. 175,000,edge evolution, 4" imco exhaust and tymar intake. zf5 with redline synthetic and mobil1 synthetic everywhere else. pre and post turbo pyros and yes they both read the same.
woodman55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

My o-rings were bad on my truck and once i replaced them the problem was solved! You have to get the o-rings that are made from Viton because they will withstand the punishment of the fuel.The size of them is #202.What happens is,after time they become hard and don't seal anymore.Its a easy fix,you will need a 1/4 ratchet and a #20 torx socket.Disconnect the drain hose from the yellow valve then the 4ea screws that hold that valve on the back of the fuel bowl.Use a pick to get the 2ea o-rings out then replace them with the new ones.Make sure you put diesel on the o-rings so they won't be dry when cycling the valve for the first time.FYI there is a 3rd o-ring in the valve and i believe its on the valve stem.I have done 3 different trucks this way and had sucess everytime........Btw a small set of hands is a plus.I got the o-rings on line in a bag of 25 and it all came to a total of 5 cents per o-ring...good luck!
mims73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

rebuild them all

not just the drain. Heater O Ring likely starting to deteroiate, also. Kits on the web. Look at Vitrol O Rings

03 F-250, Auto, CC/SB, 3.73LS, XLT FX4, Tiejtan Front Replacement, Ruenel Rear Bumper, Rancho Leveling Kit, Airbags, Dynatrac Free Spin / Warn Hubs, Dynatrac Front Dif cover, Tire Gate, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff, 46 gallon tank, Cryo Treated Rooters and Steel Braided Brake Lines, 203 T Stat and Billet housing, Marinco, Auto Meter: EGT, Boost and Tranny, 4" SS Turbo Back, pre pump and regulated return; HP X, AIS, AIH Delete, Banks IC, DP Tuner - 60 HP Daily / 80 HP Tow (both no codes) and the best for last - BTS with 6.0 cooler!
ScottWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman55 View Post
Yeah but it's ford! If they charged $28 for a fuse it wouldn't surprise me at all. I would buy a new engine before i'd buy a set of injectors at the dealer. They got me way back on a gpr, nobody had one and mine decenegrated and they charged me $96 for a $25 part.
I know ford has hit their head when it comes to some of their $$, but I can at least give you the best deal fom a dealer

Also, I believe any oring kits the fuel filter housing include way more than you need for just the drain valve, and hense the high $$

Call us at 1-800-328-9552, be sure to mention this website when calling.
OR check out our website http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/

Check out Ford's website as well!
http://www.fordparts.com/autonationfordwhitebearlake

I'll meet or beat anyone's price on Ford OEM parts
TousleyParts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Should I just replace all of the filter o-rings? I mean might as well I found the kit for $16 and if I'll be working on the fuel filter already might as well replace all o-rings just in case anymore might start to leak in the future.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
RT

While I agree with ScottWilliams that they are all likely drying up, the fuel drain valve is the only one that "moves" - it usually doesn't start leaking until some well meaning soul decides to drain the fuel filter chamber for the first time in years. You can also change it without removing the filter / housing and the o-rings are so cheap that if it were ME, I would only change the leaking ones now and just keep an eye on the others until they gave me a problem. But, hey - if you've got a day to kill, and don't mind the frustration - rebuild the whole thing...
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

That's what I'll do. Just changing the drain valve o-rings will hopefully do the trick, there is residue on the wire and connector to the heater/water separator but that may be sprayed on while under pressure. When the truck is on idling I see fuel dripping from underneath the drain valve and not from under the heater/water separator.
The truck was driven 1200 mile since '06 and I just bought it in the end of '09. It had 71800 miles when I bought it. It wasn't driven many miles for the past year if any. All I know is I'm tired of smelling diesel fuel from in the cab. As soon as the o-ring set arrives its gettin done.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

With this fuel leak am I likely to get better mileage when fixed? I know it drips frequently when idling but not sure how much I loose when driving. Truck is reg cab with 4.10 gears and now I average 14MPG. That's combined city/hwy. Its got a new air filter. I drive it slow. Will the leak repair dramatically increase mileage?? has it for anyone here who experienced the same problem. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorLee89 View Post
With this fuel leak am I likely to get better mileage when fixed? I know it drips frequently when idling but not sure how much I loose when driving. Truck is reg cab with 4.10 gears and now I average 14MPG. That's combined city/hwy. Its got a new air filter. I drive it slow. Will the leak repair dramatically increase mileage?? has it for anyone here who experienced the same problem. Thanks.
No. Unless it is a continuous stream u wont see any improvement. Easy on the pedal, feather at 1800-2000 rpm, dont exceed the speed limit ever, air the tires properly, change filters, oil regularly and hope. Thats all we can do. With 4.10's in town 14-15 will be good.
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow, you found a low mileage truck! Sounds like a jewel. Good luck.

Last edited by Lithgow; 02-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Lithgow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXANGLER View Post
No. Unless it is a continuous stream u wont see any improvement. Easy on the pedal, feather at 1800-2000 rpm, dont exceed the speed limit ever, air the tires properly, change filters, oil regularly and hope. Thats all we can do. With 4.10's in town 14-15 will be good.
I shift at 1700-2000 every time, its embarrassing with all of the other cars zippin around me because it takes off like a tortoise and I finally catch up around 4Th gear going in OD. I think a size up in tires will help with hwy fuel mileage. I can tell you that I let it idle for about 5-10 minutes one night and looked underneath it to see if it leaked and there was a puddle 24 inches wide of diesel fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.