Fuel Gel Recovery - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Gel Recovery

I filled my tank in MO at 60 degrees, drove to IN and shut down at 27 degrees. 2 days later tried to start up at 0 degrees(20+mph)... started okay but missed badly, made little power, no excessive smoke and eventually gave up. Had no trouble before at 20 degrees.

I added some PS Supplement(white bottle) and cycled the fuel pump to mix it in but so far it's no better. It's due for a new filter but I'm in no position to change it.

It's outside, it's screamin' cold, I have no tools... I'm hoping for warmer weather in a few days(after it snows tomorrow).

Is this a sign of gelled fuel and do I have hope of recovering after it warms up?

PS: Slow connection. I'll check back tomorrow.

Last edited by DIMDave; 12-21-2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Add comment
DIMDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
What you'll want to use is Diesel 911. It's better at de-gelling than the normal supplement. If possible, drain the filter and pour some in the filter housing. That'll get it where it needs to be.

You could also just open the drain valve and turn the key on to flush some new fuel from the tank up to the filter. That'll tell you if your fuel pump is working also.

Good luck.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
As far as gelling is conserned I would pull the filter frist and see if it is gelled or if you even have any fuel in it.

Jim
Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
This sounds like what happened to me, it started, but bogged down and died. I changed the fuel filter (real easy btw) cycled the key a few times, heard the pump build up pressure, and started it up. I then kicked in the AIC and within about 15sec it just bogged down and died again. I'm hoping it warms up enough to get running and get rid of this fuel.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

This sounds like gelled fuel and/or a plugged fuel filter. The fuel spec for MO should be around 0 degrees F. this time of the year. BUT if this was mixed with non-winterized fuel or the fuel did not quite meet spec, your gel point may be higher. Working on a truck outside in the cold quite simply sucks. But what you need to do is start with a clean fuel filter and some Diesel 911. Pour a little in the filter bowl while you have it off. This is doable, usually without tools and outside. Not comfortable, but doable (yep, been there, done that). With the record cold weather, you will want to supplement the winterized fuel with Power Service, Stanadyne, or some other good anti-gel until Spring. I do.
2003 F-250 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab 156" WB, Arizona Beige over Black, 7.3 PSD,Superchips 1705 "tow safe", auto, 3.73 limited slip, X-Monitor, ARE hard tonneau cover, Line-X bed liner, Ford splash guards, vent visors, hood wind deflector, 50 gal Transfer Flow in-bed tank, Powerslot cryo rotors (front) with Hawk LTS pads, Ford AIS with fender sleeve, V3 Back-up Camera, Marinco mod.
kc_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Definately get some powerservice 911. Add some to the fuel tank, filter bowl, and change the fuel filter. This is no fun in the cold, but a tough lesson learned. USLD can gel as high as 39 degrees, and has the affinity for water. I hate the stuff, and try to buy the 500ppm diesel when possible. In this kind of weather, I add a little 911 to the fuel, along with the powerservice in the white bottle. Call it overkill, but one experience of gelling in this kind of cold is not pleasant.

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95 Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
HighwayPrisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayPrisoner View Post
I hate the stuff, and try to buy the 500ppm diesel when possible.
Where are you finding any of the older diesel? Every place I have been to since about Sept '07 has had the ULSD stickers on the pumps.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Good info. It's the stuff in the lines that's usually hard to move, especially if there's water involved. Adding something like 911 to the tank and filter housing will get you going there. But consider (carefully) using a large space heater to generate heat under the truck to thaw the lines.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
dimdave,
When you did the "Hutch mod" did you add any new filters?

2011 F350 PSD Lariate, CC, 4x4, LB, DRW. Air Bags,

2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel
fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch&release View Post
Where are you finding any of the older diesel? Every place I have been to since about Sept '07 has had the ULSD stickers on the pumps.
A good place to look is flyingj.com. Some states the 500ppm is not available.

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95 Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
HighwayPrisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've found it fairly simple to run a 8' 2x4 under the the truck with 2 spring-clip mounted heat lamps & reflectors. Have the lamps angle pointed towards the fuel line (rear to ft, and ft to rear).

You can just leave the 2x4 there, and park in the same position each night you need the heat. Simply plug the lamps in & your done.

I only do this when I see the weather reports, and know it's going to be below 0. You can also cycle them off & on with a timer to save electric costs. Combined the heat lamps with your block heater & synthetic oil, makes for very easy starting in the coldest weather.

Respects

Richard
2001 C/C, 4x4, S/B, 3:73 L/S
John Wood Transmission
Tru-Cool Transmission oil cooler
DP Tuner with No Start, 20/40/60 Tow
80 Econ., 120 Race
AutoMeter 3 Guage, Pillar mount
6637 w Pete's Cover
Euro Chrome Clear Headlights
Euro Clear Signal Corner Lights
Bright Box Upgraded Headlight Harness
Defiant Light Bar w 2 KC Pencil Beams & 2 KC Driving Lights
Fumoto Drain Valve
Coolant Filtration System
Meatco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

You may have an iced up pickup screen in the tank.

I use a little charcoal in a pan under the fuel tank to warm it up.

Or if you are near or under 1/4 tank, add more fuel. I had trouble Sunday (-6*) with over 3/4 tank. Changed filter, truck restarted, then died after about 45 seconds. Pump wasn't filling the filter bowl. Heated the fuel tank for an hour, and PRESTO!
Old 12-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
We got our temps up over 40 today and the truck started and ran great. Guess I just needed heat. It did run VERY badly at first, with huge black smoke puffs with an on and off and on and off sound. I tried hooking up my HPOP guage and all I got was a fluctuation between 600 and 800 psi and as it warmed up it went down to between 400 and 600 psi. Obviously my guage isn't right.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was able to replace the main filter but did not find any 911 right away. Lying under the truck in the snow with wind blowing up my legs I did find the inline filter at the pump was opaque white instead of clear yellow...too late by then.
2 days later it was 40' and started up with no trouble.
Had I put in a white bottle before I shut down or put in a red bottle when I tried to restart, it may have been okay. Lesson learned.

"Bottle of red, bottle of white. Whatever pickle you're in tonight."

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

That INLINE FILTER before the fuel pump (part of Hutch-mod) is the culprit of many cold weather fuel issues. Ice crystals build up in it and eventually stop the flow of fuel...which you obviously figured out. Even with all the anti-gel I still got tired of that thing icing up and replaced it with the Dahl heated filter...five winters ago. No more icing issues.

If I remember correctly, the in-tank/pre-pump mod alters the return of warmed fuel to the tank while driving...and any inherant moisture in the fuel can easily form ice crystals...prior to and in addition to gelling.

A better explanantion of icing can be found at: Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

02' F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 RC L/B PSD - BTS Trans - 6.0 trans cooler - Magnaflow 3.5dp to 4" back - AIS w/fender mod - AIC - Turbo-Saver - Stancor GPR - Bilsteins - Autometer Z-series - LL#8 delete - In-tank mod/pooned/pre-pump delete - Dahl 100H - Coolant filter - Helwig Rear Sway - Reese 15k Pro - Prodigy Br Ctrl - Marinco Plug-In - Rhino Liner - Cobra 18WXSTII - Towing 04' 38' CITATION f/w 375SBS 19,600# GCW
http://community.webshots.com/user/cgroveusa
06' Mustang GT conv

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS...THANK A VET!!!
Assist Our Wounded Military:
www.injuredmarinesfund.org

Last edited by cgroveusa; 01-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.
cgroveusa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.