Fuel Tank Filler Neck Rusted & Leaking - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Tank Filler Neck Rusted & Leaking

Has anyone had their fuel tank filler neck rust out? I have a 1999 F350 dually diesel 8 foot bed and need to know the part # of the filler neck and where I can purchase it for cheaper than the dealer cost.

The Ford parts counter guy wouldn't give me the full part number and only gave me a number of 9034.

My filler neck is rusted to the point it needs to be replaced and leaks a ton when the tank is at or near full making a mess.
mm8f350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Isn't that neck a welded on part?
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook monitor (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine is rusting out but not leaking. Can you cut out the rotted section and maybe put a piece of hose in place. I priced a new one and it was like 160$.

2001 Lightning - Oxford white, garage queen
DieselSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are talking about part 2 in the diagram the part number is 9034 and it is called a "Fuel tank filler pipe". According to my book.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel Tank Filler Neck Rusted & Leaking-fuel-tank-parts.gif  
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook monitor (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm8f350 View Post
Has anyone had their fuel tank filler neck rust out? I have a 1999 F350 dually diesel 8 foot bed and need to know the part # of the filler neck and where I can purchase it for cheaper than the dealer cost.

The Ford parts counter guy wouldn't give me the full part number and only gave me a number of 9034.

My filler neck is rusted to the point it needs to be replaced and leaks a ton when the tank is at or near full making a mess.
I think your only choices are going to be the dealer or a wrecking yard. The other option is to pull it off, find some exhaust tubing of the right size and repair it by welding the new tubing on. That last would only work if it's not rusted at the flange where it fastens to the bed.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
I think your only choices are going to be the dealer or a wrecking yard. The other option is to pull it off, find some exhaust tubing of the right size and repair it by welding the new tubing on. That last would only work if it's not rusted at the flange where it fastens to the bed.
And fill it with water first to make sure all of the fumes are out of the tank. (BOOM!!)

Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0987 View Post
And fill it with water first to make sure all of the fumes are out of the tank. (BOOM!!)

And just how are you going to weld on water??? And what is water made of???? Hydrogen and Oxygen!!!! when it gets hot it breaks down and becomes 2 very bad things.

Take it to a welding shop that know what they are doing. A good welding shop will "DE-GAS" your fuel tank and make it safe so they can weld on it. We have welded 4 GAS tanks this week and 1 diesel tank. If done correctly you will not have to chase water out of your fuel tank and have the chance of it getting into your fuel system. Attached are pics from a fuel truck we put a manifold on....and what happens when you "think it is ok" and are not 100% sure. If my father was not wearing great eye protection he would have lost his eyes. He had all ready welded on the tank once and the customer took it and brought it back....It just needed one small tack and that is all it took. It needed to be de-gassed a second time. One very painful lesson to be learned.

Late 99 SD PS CC SB 4x4 Lariat. 7.3l TS 6xchip Stock-140hp , Banks 6gun, Full Banks Gauges, 4"SS turbo back exhaust, UMP Intake w/ Donaldson Filter, Auburn posi F&R 3.73, ATS Trans W/ 5Star converter and CoPilot, 18k trans cooler, Dynatrac FreeSpin front hub kit, ITP oil X over, ITP boost regulator, Aero Fuel Tanks Replacement 55 Gallon tank, New timing cover,oil pan,oil cooler, water pump,turbo petastel, reman HPOP, new fuel filter housing, slotted brakes all 4 corners W/ Ceramic pads, Adjustable trac-bar, Front 1.5" level kit only. 226,000 miles 10/1/09 Best mpg 27.3..Norm city 15 mpg hwy 20+

Early 99 CC LB 2WD Manual 6....Stock 228k (11/09) and running strong, only repairs Clutch, water pump, alternator. K&N FIPK since 36k and loving it!

2006 CC LB 4WD Lariat 6.0l 5R110 Stock 178k (12/09) "Dad's" 3 injectors and GP harness(12/09) Dynatrac Ball Joints, New ERG and 2 injectors (6/10)
aekrogh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

You fill it with water to evacuate all of the fumes and then empty the water out. Or, the water would never allow the metal to get hot enough to weld.

Though a welding shop would be the safer way to go. I just wanted to make sure someone didn't weld on a fuel tank without considering the fumes.

Last edited by Matt0987; 02-09-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have also seen a tank welded on after being filled with water and drained....It still went KABOOM and flew across the shop floor.

My filler neck is doing the same thing, but only if I get it very, very, very full.... Fuel starts gushing out behind the bed...scary stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm glad this was brought up because mine is rusted like a big dog.
Not exactly sure what to replace it with?
Is there a rubber after market fix?
Bilsteins
350K (so far)
EXODUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXODUS View Post
I'm glad this was brought up because mine is rusted like a big dog.
Not exactly sure what to replace it with?
Is there a rubber after market fix?
I would suggest that you replace the rusted parts with new. If the tank is rusted then buy a new one. You don't want rust flaking off and cloging up your fuel filter. Similarly, the 9034 part.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I need to call powerstrokeshop tomorrow as I think I have found what I'm looking for, but I need to confirm that it's part # 9034. MSRP is $169.79, but they sell it for $100.55.

Your Premiere Source for Ford Truck Parts and Accessories
mm8f350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would think you could slather on some rust converter and find some rubber tubing to cover the old section... A few hose clamps... oughta work.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0987 View Post
The welding repair is getting done on the filer neck AFTER it is removed. Even if there were a few drops of fuel inside the neck both ends are open and vented.
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Switched 10K MOD, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Optima Redtops,Mesa, Arizona
PRDATR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekrogh View Post
And just how are you going to weld on water??? And what is water made of???? Hydrogen and Oxygen!!!! when it gets hot it breaks down and becomes 2 very bad things.
Ummm - when water gets hot it turns into steam. You could separate the hydrogen and oxygen with electrolysis, but you would have to capture the gas and recombine them before you set off a "bad thing"

Do you honestly think they would use water to cool nuclear (that's nu-ku-lur for those who remember Jimmy Carter) reactors if it went boom everytime it got heated up?
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.