gas accidentally put in tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry gas accidentally put in tank

Ok so my wife was running on the "low fuel light " in our excursion and stopped at a unfamilar station just to get enough diesel to get to our regular station,anyway she grabs the green hose begins to put in about 6 gallons of fuel before she realizes it is gas. She calls me and I called a diesel mech and he said since it has a 44 gallon tank to top it off and it should be ok with a fuel ratio of 85/15 diesel/fuel and should be ok to mix a be ran thru the engine. This was 6 months ago and she has noticed when she gets down a little below the 1/4 tank level it acts up at stop lights then level outs once she has picked up speed (kinda like a CPS starting to go out) then once the tank is filled back up it runs great up until a little below the 1/4 tank ind. So my question is, does diesel and gas not really mix like the mechanic and I were thinking and I need to get it sucked out or is there something else I need to look for? Oh by the way she did take me by the place she was at and they have 1 gas hose out of 4 that is green.
shimmed w/ calif. kit, 10k mod, ported snorkel,hypermax downpipe,ps2000 propane
45hp superchip,pcm code TDE1, TEXAS TROPHY HUNTERS decal!!
looking for hunting opportunities in the north mississippi area or s/w tennessee, deer and hogs , let the littles ones walk
missplaced texan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
What it may have done, is the gas cleaned up some of the deposits that diesel fuel leave behind. These then have clogged the inlet screen at the bottom of the pickup. There is a bypass above the screen that opens up and allows fuel in if the screen get's plugged. This is what it sounds like to me. Problem is, you have to drop the tank to get to it. Being an EX, you don't even have the option to pull the bed instead.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
The gas and diesel will mix very easily, and since it was 6 months ago that the 6 gallons of gas was put in, I doubt you could tell without a spectrographic analysis of the fuel whether there was even a trace of gas left in the tank.

Your problem is more likely that the fuel tank pickup is sucking air thru the auxiliary inlet on the foot that gets exposed at about 1/4 tank. Air getting into the injectors will cause it to stumble till it gets worked thru the system. It's probably time to do the Hutch Mod, which entails modifying the fuel pickup foot and getting rid of the quick connects on the fuel lines between the tank and the fuel pump suction. Here's a link to a kit to take care of that: Driven Diesel 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 04-07-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
I do a gallon of gas in a tank once a month (1qt of transmission fluid every fillup). That's how my ole 96 has been done and it has 650k on factory injectors. Only problem with it, is it is addicted to starting fluid. I know I have mentioned at least 2 "no-nos" by expert standards but the mileage speaks for itself.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.