Gas in Diesel Tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas in Diesel Tank

OK, be kind to me. Someone (not me) accidentally put gas in my diesel 2000 Ford Excursion (7.3L). I disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter and used the fuel pump to take out as much gas as I could. I changed the fuel filter and put new diesel in, about 10 gals. I started it up and it ran rough at first and then cleared up. I then drove it uphill about 1 mile and it sputtered and died.

I repeated the process of purging the gas from the line using by disconnecting the fuel line and pumping the contaminated fuel in to a gas can. I changed the filter again and it ran for about another mile and died.

Is there another fuel filter that I need to replace? If I have to drop the tank, how do I do it? Money is an issue for me so I must do this all myself.

To make matters worse, I may have damaged my starter trying to get the Excursion to start. If the starter overheats, will it shut itself off until it cools down or I have shot my starter?
bachfxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
Sounds like you may have to get a new starter, how long were you cranking it?

How long was it run with gas in the tank? You should be able to evacuate most of the gas/diesel mix from the tank and then refill with diesel. The more the better to make sure it dilutes as much as you can.

You probably have air in the heads from disconnecting it and changing the filter. You should just need to turn the key on several times to get the air out of the lines, then you need to get it running to purge the air from the heads. You can remove the fuel rail plugs to help purge the air, but you may find that to be tough too. Take a look at THESE INSTRUCTIONS (steps 9 & 12) for the fuel rail plugs. You can use a 1/8"-27 NPT adapter to plug a hose onto it. Turn the key to on and you should get fuel out of this. CAUTION- It will be at roughly 50-60 PSI, so make sure you are ready for it!!!!!!!!!

Once you get the air purged, you should be able to re-install the plugs. Hopefully it will start then. Usually it will start and just run rough, keeping the RPM's up will help it stay running. Pray that the fuel pump is not faulty now.......it is way more expensive than a starter!
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like you will need a new starter. One of my employees ran our 2001 out of fuel last week and then killed the starter trying to get it started again.
RMZRacer723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Starting is not the problem here. I second that there may be a chance that you got air in the system. You could have just pumped out the tank to get the gas out and maybe put fuel in the fuel bowl. A little bit of gas is ok to run through the engine. I actually run a quart of transmission fluid and a gallon of gas through a full tank every now and then (1qt of transmission fluid every tank). Not sure how you would get the air out of the line?? I'd imagine you could open the fuel bowl drain valve and turn the key over to make the pump come on and put a catch can underneath to catch the fuel. Do that a couple of times to make sure you get all the air out of the line.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

This happens occasionally to our company service trucks. Here is what we do when it does.

1. Get all the gasoline and or gasoline-diesel mix you can out of the tank.
That should leave only about 2 gallons of whatever in the tank.
2. Take 2 quarts of 30 wt. ND, no additives mineral oil and put in the tank.
Won't hurt the diesel and will add some lubricity to the gas/diesel mix.
3. Fill the tank completely full with diesel.
Go ahead and fill it up to reduce any gas diesel mix to a minimum
4. Put a piece of 5/16" fuel line hose on the fuel filter drain valve line.
You can leave this hose on when you are done later.
5. Put a container under the drain valve extension hose.
6. Open the fuel filter cannister yellow filter drain valve.
7. Turn the ignition key on, don't try to start it yet. Pump will run 10 sec
8 Wait for pure diesel to come out the hose and into the catch container.
9. When pure diesel comes out the drain hose close the drain valve.
10. Attempt to start, don't cycle the starter more than 30 seconds.
11. Wait 15 minutes between cycles, no more than 3 cycles.
12. If it doesn't start in 3, clean the head test ports and open them up.
Rear of drivers side, front of passenger side. You will have to move the
turbo intake hose and loosen AC compressor to get to them.
Get the test port area really clean, put some rags around the ports
13. Cycle the pump, let it time out, don't attempt to start the engine.
14. Diesel fuel, about a quart total should come out of the test ports.
15. When diesel fuel comes out put the head test port plugs back in.
Put the turbo hose, AC compressor and engine belt back in place.
16. The engine should start now but might smoke should clear up.
17. If it doesn't start now you have other problems. Check battery level.
You have to have enough power to get the engine to a min RPM for it
to start. With low batteries is can turn over but not get to min start
RPM.

Hope this helps, 106
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Way back when I had a couple of VW diesels. About three times my wife would call me stranded because the van quit running. The first time it was a mystery. Through process of elimination I found that she had just gotten fuel. "Fortunately" she had a real cheap streak and would only put in $10.
Well every damn time it turned out to be gasoline. She'd insist that it was not until we looked at the pump she used and they didn't have diesel there.

Being an old VW I just siphoned out what I could and dumped fuel back in. Not having a good way to dispose of the contaminated fuel I would "cut" it back in during cold weather.

I'm not going to tell you that vehicle was trouble free but it never had a fuel system problem.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. It turns out that my starter was fried. I replaced the starter; drained all the gas I could; changed the fuel filter again; and put 20 gallons of diesel and the appropriate amount of Lucas Diesel treatment.

After a couple failed attempts to start--the battery ran down twice--it finally started and gasped for diesel. I let it idle for 15 minutes, making sure to keep the RPMs above 1000. After that I drove it around my ranch on the bumpiest roads I could find, hoping to dislodge any remaining gas in the system. It wprked.

Now it sounds like it used to. On the road again!

Thanks for all your help and please forgive the delay in getting back to you.
bachfxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Good deal, glad you got her going again.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.