GEM replacement...does it need to be programmed at ford? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GEM replacement...does it need to be programmed at ford?

Looks like I have to replace my GEM to get my 4x4 running again.

Powerstrokeshop wants 227 for the part. The local Fred dealer wants 790 to furnish and install it.

The MSRP on the part is 411.40, so that means about 380 in labor.

Even if I was getting charged 100/hour, they're saying that it would take 4 hours to do, so . . .

What is entailed in the replacement? It seems like it has to be programmed with axle ratios and tire sizes (among other things).

SO I guess this is something I cannot do without Ford's assistance.

Has anyone ever replaced their GEM by themselves, and if so, what was the process . . .

And by the way--if you want to know what term to search for at powerstrokeshop so you can find the GEM, it is:

MOD ASY MLTPL FUNC C

The part number is: f81z14b205ee

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: GEM replacement...does it need to be programmed at ford?

no it DOES NOT need to be reprogrammed by ford the Vechicle Security Module needs to be reprogrammed if replaced. remove the door off the glove box and you will find it on the fender wall takes 20 minutes to replace. i just went threw it not bad at all and i got my GEM for powerstrokeshop for 120 bucks shipped.
WhiteDuallyIL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I thought the GEM that controls the 4x4 was on the fuse panel, not the passenger side fender.

I know there are a few electronic modules in the truck. I just don't want to order the wrong one and end up not fixing my problem. My servie report was vague. It said 'smart junction box', it didn't have part numbers on it.

Edit:

This is direct from the service manual:

NOTE: The GEM must be reconfigured upon replacement. Refer to the NGS Tester help screen on the Ford Service Function (FSF) card to program tire size and axle ratio.

The GEM/CTM controls the following functions:

Wipers/washers
Warning chimes
Illuminated entry and courtesy lamps
One touch-down (OTD) driver power window
Remote keyless entry
Accessory delay
Electronic shift 4-wheel drive
------------------------------

So you can understand my confusion....

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Looks to me like the only thing that would need to be re-programmed is the key fob's.

Went to new owner on 12/12/09 (I will miss her)
2000 F350 XLT CC LB SRW 6spd 4x4 Toreador Red
'08 Center Console,Ranch Hand Grill Guard, SBC ConO clutch,DP Tuner (60T,80E,120R),Gauges,Ford AIS,Walker BTM,AIH delete,HPX Oil Crossover, Wicked Wheel,TurboMaster WG Contoller,Riley BRV+,Riley Boost Boots,EBPV Gut w/mod. pedestal,IH Bellowed UpPipes,Final Charge ELC coolant w/heater bypass,Riley Coolant Filter,Ford AIC,Centramatic Wheel Balancers,115gal Aux tank,Firestone airbags w/cab control. Oilguard Bypass Filtration,DFA 'Cross Connect' Fuel Lines
Rich_Kimball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiteDuallyIL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no it DOES NOT need to be reprogrammed by ford the Vechicle Security Module needs to be reprogrammed if replaced. remove the door off the glove box and you will find it on the fender wall takes 20 minutes to replace. i just went threw it not bad at all and i got my GEM for powerstrokeshop for 120 bucks shipped. </div></div>
Not the same animal. You don't have a GEM like the 99-01 trucks do. The programmable functions were moved into the VSM for the '02 models, IIRC. The changes also involved moving all the fuses inside instead of the two fuse boxes the early trucks have.

ReefBlue, you will need to get your tire size reprogrammed, which is a short procedure at a Ford dealer. If you don't have remote keyless entry, then you won't have to worry about that part. The cost they are quoting (other than the standard Ford dealer gouge) for changing that puppy out is probably because it's wedged up under the instrument panel. I once took my interior fuse box out and lived to regret it. What a PITA. I'd go with the GEM from Powerstrokeshop, install it yourself (wear gloves to keep from cutting your hands to ribbons under the dashboard [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img] ), then find a friendly Ford tech to do the programming for you.

I'm assuming that you ruled out the relays as the cause of your 4x4 failure. They'd be MUCH easier to change.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Reefblue, whats the end to this story? I know it was years ago, if you remember. I got my GEM yesterday. I have 315/75/16 and considered going to 295. Spedometer was off already. I do have the key FOB.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just talked to Ford and its $89.95 to program it.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I ended up never getting it replaced. I originally went in complaining of no 4x4, and they said the GEM was the culprit.

I said I'd have to think about it. But then when I got home and turned the 4x4 switch, it worked. So whatever they did knocked some sense into the computer.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
I ended up never getting it replaced. I originally went in complaining of no 4x4, and they said the GEM was the culprit.

I said I'd have to think about it. But then when I got home and turned the 4x4 switch, it worked. So whatever they did knocked some sense into the computer.
Well thats good for you.

I think I've decided to have them program it at 295, so even if I do stay with 315 it wont be as much off. But pretty sure I will go with 295.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
Reefblue, whats the end to this story? I know it was years ago, if you remember. I got my GEM yesterday. I have 315/75/16 and considered going to 295. Spedometer was off already. I do have the key FOB.
If the Key fob is all your worried about, you don't have to take it to ford, to set it, you can do that yourself so they get sinced together. if your reseting your tire size then yes. Dave
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright5460 View Post
If the Key fob is all your worried about, you don't have to take it to ford, to set it, you can do that yourself so they get sinced together. if your reseting your tire size then yes. Dave
Just figured that out. Went to ford and they said they had to have the truck and do it through the OBD2. I called my mechanic back home and he said that the truck would run (I knew that) just the key FOB wouldn't work. And to program the key FOB, turn the truck on-off 8 times (Quickly), and on the eighth time leave the key on and the the locks should lock then unlock. When it unlocks, hit the lock button on the FOB and the locks should lock which means the FOB is now programed to the mocule.

Thanks guys!! Got the GP's, PCM, and GEM to install. Gonna see if the IDM is still good. If not, I should at least be able to view data through the OBD2 to see what codes there are.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Just to add for any future readers...... My GEM failed and it caused my 4X4 to stop working. When I replaced the GEM, the only thing that I would need to program was key fobs if I wanted them. Other than that, everything else worked out of the box just as it did before while also repairing the 4X4 system.

PS: I did purchase a new GEM from Ford. The exact part number was not made or available, but the Ford part guys at Tousley used my numbers to find the correct replacement. I wonder when you buy a new GEM from Ford if that makes a difference in the programming so no further programming is required?
2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
01f25073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01f25073 View Post
Just to add for any future readers...... My GEM failed and it caused my 4X4 to stop working. When I replaced the GEM, the only thing that I would need to program was key fobs if I wanted them. Other than that, everything else worked out of the box just as it did before while also repairing the 4X4 system.

PS: I did purchase a new GEM from Ford. The exact part number was not made or available, but the Ford part guys at Tousley used my numbers to find the correct replacement. I wonder when you buy a new GEM from Ford if that makes a difference in the programming so no further programming is required?
I don't believe so. If I understand correctlym they are preprogrammed by the company that makes them in the Virgin Islands. The codes pretty much match up to the trucks specific equipment. Just the key FOB is the extra programming, which is why I guess they made it to where you could program it without removing the GEM (they actually pronounce it unlike everything else, well maybe beside the MAP sensor). I told the parts lady that I ned to have the G-E-M module reprogrammed, she said, "You'll have to go down the road to the Cheve dealer to do that".

Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

With the key on off trick for the key fobs, and a computer with autoenginuity, you wouldn't need the dealer at all. You can reprogram tire sizes through AE.
Andrew G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

I had always thought the tire size was changed through the ABS module? Thats what the guys on SDD.com told me anyways.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.