Glow Plug relay and wait to start light - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Glow Plug relay and wait to start light

New member to the diesel stop.
Last week my glow plug relay went out. Third relay in 2 years. Read about people installing the heavy duty Stancor as a replacement. Well I wanted to get the truck back up and running did not want to order the Stancor and wait for it to show up. In my search for a replacement I decided to try a solenoid from Napa, part #st36 Store Locator | NAPA Online

Hooked everyting up last Thursday night and the truck starts great on Friday. I left the truck sit for 4 days (away on business trip) and when I return the batteries are dead. I hook up the battery charger for 2 hours and try to start. No wait to start light. I start checking for blown fuses. Not a single blown fuse inside cab or under hood. Start swapping out relays and still no wait to start light. I use my MCSP to read codes and there are none.
Next step was to check at the GPR itself and discover that my ground wire from PCM is hot. So now I have 3 hot lines at the GPR reading 12 volts. I decide to unhook bothe small wire at GPR and my wait to start light comes on when I turn the key. I decide to hook up the small wire from the ignition and then used jumper cables to supply juice to th glow plugs. The truck starts up and all is fine.
Can someone explain why my ground wire from Pcm was hot and why the wait to start light was not working?
Sorry for the long post, but this one has me stumped.
h2ologd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
If you turn the key on with the engine cold, power is sent to one small terminal of the GPR and the other small terminal is supposed to be grounded by the PCM to activate the relay. If you got 12V on both small terminals, it means that the PCM isn't completing the circuit.

The relay you got apears to be correct, in that it's a 4 terminal relay. I'm assuming it's not internally grounded, but if it were, it would be keeping your GP's on all the time. That would definitely kill your batteries.

The PCM is sensitive to low voltage and won't "turn on" if the voltage isn't high enough, so maybe that's why you didn't get a WTS.

Disconnect all the wires from your GPR, and check with an ohmmeter and see if each one is isolated from ground. There should be some reisistance across the two smaller terminals, but both should be isolated. If you find something wonky there, you should get another GPR. If you have an International dealer nearby, get one from them for around $30. Part #1831646C1
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Appreciate the reply. Maybe the voltage was too low, but I had the charger on while trying to start and it turned over real fast. I did fail to mention in my post that while I was checking for codes I tried to return the programming to stock setting. The scmt could not do it. Right away I am thinking the pcm is bad.

After getting the truck started I ran it for 20 miles and it ran great. Did not get to troubleshoot any tonight. Wanted to wait until the motor was cold.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just an update on my problem. Had a chance to check over the gpr tonight and everything is working fine. Wait to start light also works. I was also able to reprogram the truck so I think the pcm is also fine.
Not sure what drained the batteries and caused all of the problems. Hopefully it does not return
Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via AIM to BlueMuleTrucking
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
If you find something wonky there, you should get another GPR. If you have an International dealer nearby, get one from them for around $30. Part #1831646C1
I believe they list for $32.68. I got mine for around $28.00. I got MOS, discount on all the parts I purchased yesterday. If you're not in a pinch I wouldn't bother with your FORD dealer they list for $62 $66.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« turbo | Gpm »