glow plugs! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
glow plugs!

Having a bit of a starting issue. Hard start and white smoke. Kind of hard to get a handle on as temps have been up and down, just trying to get some ideas of things to look at. I have new batteries and a new gpr. How many amps will will the glow plugs pull when cycled on? Do they pull more the colder the temp is? I searched the form but all I found were ohm readings for the glow plugs themselves.
2000 f3504x4, cc, lwb, 7.3, K+N air filter, ATS three stage chip, 4" ss turbo back exhaust, dual outlet ss muffler, 5" polished tips, American 143 16.5x9.75 wheels, Goodyear GSA 37-12.50s, Fabtec 5.5" lift, 2002 headlights and markers, stereo and video !

Other toy- 1970 Ford Torino Cobra, 429CJ, 4spd
w3504x4m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Should be somewhere between 100-200 amps or more depending on actual resistance of the individual plug. ohms x voltage=current

They don't draw more current if it is colder, they just stay on longer at their normal draw.

Check your wiring harness: Chaffed wiring at driver's valve cover.

Keep everyone (and yourself) updated:7.3 mileage and repair thread

If you insist on throwing parts at your truck to fix the problem, go big--don't forget the driver's side frame rail.

If your ICP connector has oil in it, change it. Don't argue, just change it. Don't check other things first, just change it.
ReefBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Spec for GPs are .3 to .5 ohms. Since there are 8 in parallel, that's .037 to .0625 ohms. Using this range of resistance and ohms law to solve for current (i=e/r) assuming 12 volts, that's 12V/.037Ohms=324 Amps to 12V/.0625Ohms=192 Amps. To calculate the power in watts use (p=i*e), or 3888W to 2304W. In theory, the hotter the GP gets the higher its resistance becomes (less current draw). The difference in initial current draw between a 70F and -20F GP is minor when you consider an energized GP reaches about 2000F. Normally when GPs fail their resistance increases, so anything above .5 ohms is considered bad.

Early 99 XLT F350 4X4 SuperCab Long Bed SRW
Mods: AIS Intake, BTS tranny, DP Tunner, Isspro A Pillar Trans Temp, Boost, Pre Turbo EGT, 19.5" Vision Heavy Hauler Wheels, Michelin XDS2 Tires, GTP38R Turbo, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, DI Intercooler, DI Uppies, DI HP Oil Cross-over, DI Regulated Fuel Return, BW Turnover Hitch, Rear Hellwig Stabilizer Bar, Rear Timbren Suspension, Moog Ball Joints, 2009 Al Rear Diff Cover, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with Power Elbow, Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

bigassredtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Factory specs for a good ZD-11 glow plug from the Ford manual is 0.6-2 ohms for a good glow plug.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.