Good alternator, still not charging system - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Good alternator, still not charging system

I had a dead truck the other day and picked up a new alternator thinking that was the problem since my batteries are new. Installed the new alternator and it still doesn't want to charge the batteries. Took the new alternator back to the parts store and they tested it on their test bench; it checks out fine. Question is: with a new alternator and good batteries why am I not getting 14.5 volts showing up on my voltmeter when the engine is running. Do I have a blown fuse somewhere?
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you checked the output at the alternator with a multimeter with the motor running, checked the batteries seperately, battery cables etc? A weak tensioner will cause the alternator not to charge properly, it can seem fine but, not be doing the job. I don't know if there is a fusible link on a 99.

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95 Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
HighwayPrisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bad cable/wire somewhere? That would be a good guess...

2002 F-250 XLT CC SB\HPX\ITP prepump mod\Harpoon\DI 65psi fuel shim\4" SS turbo back Magnaflow\Fumoto\FTVB\Edge Evolution2\Zoodad\2008 Diff cover\V-10 Transmission cooler

Last edited by fddriver2; 09-22-2009 at 10:52 AM.
fddriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

I recall some others talking about a few fuses associated with the charging system like you describe. I believe they were in the engine compartment box. Easy enough to just check all of them.
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX
tbpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Bad Ground Connection.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpower View Post
I recall some others talking about a few fuses associated with the charging system like you describe. I believe they were in the engine compartment box. Easy enough to just check all of them.
There's one fuse to the alternator in the under hood fuse box. Check Fuse #6, 10A, which supplies power to the sensing and switching circuits inside the alternator via the orange/lt blue wire on the alternator connector. If you don't have voltage there, the alt either won't work at all or won't know what to do.

Another fuse under the inst panel (#29, 5 A) powers the battery side of the charge indicator circuit for comparison between the battery voltage and alternator output. That fuse is hot in Start or Run and actually turns on the alternator.

To paraphrase the service manual:
With voltage applied to I circuit (powered by fuse #29) regulator is activated, allowing current to flow from B+ circuit (the big wire on the alt) to the generator field coil.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was having the same problem a while back. My mechanic worked on it for a day and a half trying to figure it out. He finally cut the wire coming off the alternator that goes back thru the instrument cluster to the idiot light and ran it straight to the fuse in the fuse box under the dash and I haven't had any trouble since. Before that I was going thru an alternator about every 30 days.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

What is your temperature gauge showing, is it getting up to normal temperature, or is it staying barely off cold?
If the thermostat is stuck open, the engine stays cold, the glow rail controller keeps the glow plugs turned on due to the low engine temperature, especially during winter, with lower air temperature, more use of lights, defrost, etc, the alternater can't keep up with the draw off, due to the glow rail staying on. Altinater is charging, but battery still goes flat occasionally.
Wasted money on battery and altinater replacements, before I cottoned on to this, I initially found the glow rail stayed live (volt meter) and thought the relay was at fault, but the engine was not getting above 50 deg C. It would charge, after parking (at idle) due to heat soak increasing the engine temperature after a trip.
So this can easily be a non electrical fault, which presents as a very electrical symptom!
BlackOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWakefield View Post
I had a dead truck the other day and picked up a new alternator thinking that was the problem since my batteries are new. Installed the new alternator and it still doesn't want to charge the batteries. Took the new alternator back to the parts store and they tested it on their test bench; it checks out fine. Question is: with a new alternator and good batteries why am I not getting 14.5 volts showing up on my voltmeter when the engine is running. Do I have a blown fuse somewhere?

Is it a Autozone alternator ? Those things are junk. I get those in work all the time and some test 'fine' on Autozone's test bench yet we put in a Motorcraft and....Presto!!! Fixed.

Same thing with starters....
2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew *4" BDS suspension lift w/315-75's * Ford AIS * MKO 5" exhaust * All 4 corners cleared * Front Reese Receiver * Draw Tite Fold Over Gooseneck * Reese 15K Sliding 5er * Gauges Whited Out * IC Foil Delete * Dieselsite Coolant Filter kit * DiPricol Optix White Faced Turbo,Pyro,Trans Gauges w/Dash Mount Pod * DP Tuner F5 60T 80E 120R 140X * John Wood Valve Body * ITP SS X-Over Line * ITP Boost Annihilator * 6.0 Trans Cooler * TCI Truck Master Triple Disc Billet Converter (-200 RPM) * Reviva Transmission * ESOF Converted to Manual Warn Hubs * 203' Thermostat * Turbomaster Wastegate Actuator * Gutted EBPV * Centramatics * Walbro GLS392 * Ford AICM * ITP Pre-pump * One Very Understanding Wife*

I AM AN AMERICAN, SO I DRIVE AMERICAN.
fxdwgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
With your truck running you should have about 14 volts measured at the batteries. If not, the alternator is not charging. There is a fusable link (fuse inside the wire) that would feed the battery for charging. It is the bigger wire that comes off the alternator and I think is connected at the glow plug relay. Check that also. If you blew that fuse you need the new fusable link/wire.
DPTuner 40Tow, 60Tow, 80Econo, BTS Valve Body, AIS Intake, AIH Delete, MBRP Stainless 3.5" DP and 4" Exhaust, 5" All spring Edge lift, Rize Traction Bars, CV joint driveshaft, 315 BFG ATs on Alcoa wheels, Warn Transformer with multi mount winch power front and back, 1000 watt power inverter, VCR, 4.10 gears and ARB Lockers Front and Back
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.