The Diesel Stop banner

Got a Problem

679 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rustygold 
#1 ·
I've been working on this 7.3 diesel powerstroke that is having injector issues. The truck was pulled into a lake and was under water for about 4 hours before being towed out. I have replaced the engine and injector wiring harness, IDM, and PCM. as well as pulled all the glowplugs and manually turned the crankshaft to get the water out of the cylinders. When I run an injector buzz test only I will get 8 buzzes but they will all be on the driver side of the vehicle. Due to the water damage we replaced the PCM and IDM before we even tried to start it up, but then we were having trouble with the injectors firing, so I ran the tests on Shopkey with the diagnostic trouble codes the buzz test was throwing. It had me check for resistance on a few wires, short to grounds, and short to powers, everything checked out ok and within specs, so the test said to replace the IDM, but the IDM was brand new. I figured that maybe the issue could be in the wiring harness, some kind of corrosion that may be making some of the wires cross when the PCM is trying to communicate with the IDM, so we swapped the wiring harness connecting the PCM and IDM as well as the Wiring harness that runs to the injectors and the glowplug controller. Same results on the buzz test.

The only thing I have left to replace in the wiring is the injector connector that is built into the valve cover gasket and all wiring under the valve cover gasket. If anyone has any suggestions that I didn't already cover, I would appreciate the insight, the truck has really been testing me.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.