Grinding/clicking noise on drivers wheel when coming to a stop.... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
ACL

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grinding/clicking noise on drivers wheel when coming to a stop....

hey guys....this all started tonight...when i apply the brakes when coming to a stop a grinding/clicking noise starts and gets louder as the truck comes to a complete stop....could this be a u-joint on the drive shaft?

As well the 4x4 auto-lock hub doesnt turn on the drivers side but does on the passenger side....could this be causing the problem?

Thanks guys for any help
RECENT REPLACED PARTS: Ball joints (both sides,upper and lower), brakes ( all around)both at 148,000kms, Newer rims, new tires, new CPS sensor all at 151,000kms, new intercooler, one new battery both at 134,000kms and new fuel filter at 154,000kms. Baught the truck April/2005 with 124,000kms. Truck now has 162,000 kms.
I ONLY BURN SHELL DIESEL IN MY TRUCK. PROVEN AND TESTED TO BE THE BEST FOR THE ENGINE, AND INTERNAL PARTS INCLUDING INJECTORS.
ACL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Grinding/clicking noise on drivers wheel when coming to a stop....

Is it a very regular clicking sound at wheel speed (only heard with the window down)? My anti-rattle V spring popped out and was "clicking" at wheel speed on the vents in the disc. Replacing the clips in the pads solved that problem.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
ACL

actually no....this is a sound heard with the windows up. It only makes this noise when im coming to a stop, and then becomes louder when completly stopping....It has something to do with the drive line...i might have to get it looked at tomorrow
RECENT REPLACED PARTS: Ball joints (both sides,upper and lower), brakes ( all around)both at 148,000kms, Newer rims, new tires, new CPS sensor all at 151,000kms, new intercooler, one new battery both at 134,000kms and new fuel filter at 154,000kms. Baught the truck April/2005 with 124,000kms. Truck now has 162,000 kms.
I ONLY BURN SHELL DIESEL IN MY TRUCK. PROVEN AND TESTED TO BE THE BEST FOR THE ENGINE, AND INTERNAL PARTS INCLUDING INJECTORS.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

it could bee your brake rotor is cracked thats what hapened to my brothers 99 f350 braking at 50 mph you woudent notice but when you slow down to 10 and 5 mph it sounded and felt real bad.
When it blew apart it ruined the calipers and bent some stuff it was a pain in the [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
so take of the wheel and have a look [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] good luck
Old 04-22-2006, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
ACL

this is exactly the feeling....its sounds horrible. Its funny because i replaced the brake rotors and pads two months ago. Im gonna have to bring it back to the shop.

Any other comments
Old 04-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Wheel bearing??? seized hub-lock-out? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club: http://www.nemadc.org/

MrPlowJr_EZ_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

acl

It surely cant be this but when I get mine in wet dirt that will pick up rocks on the wheels in fromt it invaribly gets rocks stuck somewhere in the brakes. I have never had to get in there and look.

It seems that if i back up a few times and get on the brakes pretty hard it takes the stuff out the other direction.

Just in case you have been on a muddy lane before the noise started [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

ACL my truck had the same symptoms on the left front axle a few moths ago...I kept on driving for 2 or 3 more days 'till the grinding got sooo bad that I didn't dare to go anywhere anymore besides to the dealer - about $1,500.00 later it was fixed - they changed the whole chebang inside the hub and the inside of the axle, something in it was broken and it didn't disconnect anymore (from 4WD). @ least that's how I remember it.

Good luck with yours, hope it's not the same!

Don't be afraid of death - be afraid of a half lived life!
TurboHans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had a grinding when I applied the brakes. Thought I had a worn brake pad on the front. Change the fronts to Powerslot rotors and hawk pads. Found the drivers caliper pin corroded an sticking. While bleeding the brakes I found the right rear rotor bad and that was causing my grinding. I would check the brakes first, all of them, because even those the grinding sounded like it was coming from the from, it was actually coming from the rear.
nd2kpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
ACL

Alright guys...i appreciate all the replys...

This is my up-to-date info on this issue.

It rained for most of the day today and i found that the grinding/clicking noise wasnt as loud. The more i drove it the less i heard it. Then i pulled into a parking lot gave it a few hard stops in reverse and the same in forward, pulled out on the street and i havent heard it since. I know i do need rear brake pads because i did the front rotors and pads when i replaced the ball joints. But what got me going was the drivers side auto lock hub...it doesnt wanna turn so i took a wooden dowel and gave it a few hits with a hammer and i ended up breaking the knob handle grip so now the white plastic plate in-behind this knob is visable, which may cause dirt to add up and create a problem....that was a mistake i learned off of. :depress:

Thanks powerstrokers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.