grinding noise while turning hard left - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
grinding noise while turning hard left

ok guys this one is odd this truck, 2000 f350 SRW started making noise about 6 months ago while turning left, i replaced ball joints, hubs, seals, and all, the noise sounds like tire rub and i do run 305/70/r16 but this truck is leveled, and has plenty of clearance. I have even checked rear axle bearings, ive checked my lockouts there fine, a week ago i switched my hubs on the front with no change in the grinding noise, its only when you turn left, i have put my stock wheel and tires back on and still had the grinding noise im not sure what else can even make this kind of noise, it only makes noise when its warmed up. which makes me think its a bearing, but they all check out fine. any one had any problems like this, my truck is a 2000 F350 SRW with 100,000 miles.
2000 F350 6sp 4x4 4in SS exhaust K&N on 35's leveled custom grill, TS 6 position chip, all the gauges, BD big head, slotted and drilled rotors all the way around, X wheel. ported turbo housing, DB starter, south bend con O clutch. boost annihilator, 6.0l intercooler, 9 foot flatbed with twin 6 inch stacks, and just picked up a ranch hand front bumper. coolant filter
2001 F250 CC 4x4 LB 11 in lift 42 in BFG's, Swamps injectors, adrenaline HPOP, Garret GTP38, ARP head studs, and more to come.
2005 F250 CC 4x4 SB king ranch 8in lift 35in tires banks 6gun banks SS exhaust, dvd, 60 gal tank in the bed, Banks Intercooler, Arp head studs, blue spring kit, coolant filter, bullet proof EGR, and oil coolers.
normanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to tssheys
Re: grinding noise while turning hard left

I was hearing a loud popping noise... it was my pitman arm hitting the leaf when the wheel was turned all the way left. My leaf springs had weakened over time - when I hit a bump, the leaf hit the pitman arm. If it's the pitman arm hitting the leaf, the leaf will have a mark on it. I replaced the leaf springs and haven't heard the noise since.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can you tell if its coming from the front or rear?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

about 3 months ago mine started to do the same thing. it was bothering me but i just learned to live with it. i had changed out my hubs about 8 months ago and this past spring it had flooded around here and i was driving my truck in waters up to my step under my door. i thought maybe the bearings were dry or something but i cant grease them. i hear it when i turn left and it gets louder the harder i turn. i just learned to live with it.
2000 ford f-250 turbo diesel 7.3 lariat crew cab, lifted 8" w/37x12.50 cooper tires, 4" dual after market exhaust, 4" downpipe, tymar intake, tony wildman 4 pos chip, tripple under dash gauges egt,boost,trans temp 200k and counting

1997 f250 7.3 XLT ext cab long bed 4x2 bone stock 167k and counting
strobes110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

wingman 036 that is what mine does,I have noticed that it won't make the noise if i'm not in the throttle or just push in the clutch. It has done this for about 8 or 9 months now I have tried everything there is with no fix to the problem I am trying to live with it but its not easy. If anyone has anymore ideas let me know i'll try just about anything at this point.
2000 F350 6sp 4x4 4in SS exhaust K&N on 35's leveled custom grill, TS 6 position chip, all the gauges, BD big head, slotted and drilled rotors all the way around, X wheel. ported turbo housing, DB starter, south bend con O clutch. boost annihilator, 6.0l intercooler, 9 foot flatbed with twin 6 inch stacks, and just picked up a ranch hand front bumper. coolant filter
2001 F250 CC 4x4 LB 11 in lift 42 in BFG's, Swamps injectors, adrenaline HPOP, Garret GTP38, ARP head studs, and more to come.
2005 F250 CC 4x4 SB king ranch 8in lift 35in tires banks 6gun banks SS exhaust, dvd, 60 gal tank in the bed, Banks Intercooler, Arp head studs, blue spring kit, coolant filter, bullet proof EGR, and oil coolers.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Take this article I wrote...

You guys want to look at the internal wheel bearing (needle bearing) which is replaceable

its behind the sealed assy, and is a small needle bearing that sits near the main seal (the main seal is likely bad allowing water to the wheel bearings)

check it out

http://www.angelfire.com/fang/mercury/ball.pdf

good luck

last picture of the article actually... the needle bearing is a torrignton or equivilent B-2110

kenny
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mercury you think that both needle bearings are bad because i switched the front hubs. And i put ball joints in a few weeks ago and I remember checking them over then and they felt good. I will check them again this weekend. plus in the 2 years that i have had this truck its never been in any water, plus both hubs are new and it made this noise before i put the hubs in it. Thanks for the input I will check those this weekend.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

when you say hubs - you switched the entire sealed assy?

anyway to check the needle bearing just use your fingernail, if you cant spin the litttle needles then its shot, for 8 bux per bearing, just change um - eliminate that possibility

kenny
Old 10-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes the whole sealed ass. was switched over and the noise seems to only come from drivers side front both before and after the hubs were switched. Not to mention this is the third hub that has been on the drivers side front since april. any other ideas.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

i still say change the needle bearings, 8 bux each - i say its worth it

Also check that silly dust shield behind the hub assy too - they can be trouble.

let me know how you make out - the needle bearing was my problem, check that your main seal is also ok, thats on the stub shaft behind the sealed assy

kenny
Old 10-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I replaced the dust covers a few months ago when I did all the u joints, seals, hubs, pretty much everything but the ball joints. I am going to check those needle bearings today. But i am not sure about it, The axle does not turn while the transfer case is in two wheel drive. My lockouts are unlocked and the axle does not support any weight. I will try any thing to solve this one But this will make about the 7th time I've tore this thing down for the same reason. I have noticed that by turning left and not having my foot in the throttle its quiet so it only does it while under a load. thanks for the help kenny I will let you know what i find.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

you have manual or automatic lockouts? the auto lockouts may say "unlocked" but might be locked and vise versa...

kenny
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

They are manual lockouts and I have switched those as well, and a friend of mine helped me check them out one day at work to rule them out. nothing in the front axle is turning. I took apart the drivers side this afternoon. The sealed ass. felt fine the needle bearing felt smooth no roughness to it at all. I greased it and put it all back together and went out to eat. On the way home it roared at me so im kinda stumped on this one there must de something im missing thanks for the help.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

ok your sure its coming from the front and youre sure its only when you turn left? can you get it to do it if your turning left and you pop the tranny to netural?

i would check that pass side needle bearing too

A needle bearing can feel smooth, were you able to move the needles though - by using a fingernail?

also how is your main seal?

I know we can figure this out with patience and determination

thanks, Kenny
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

yes its in the front, it wont do it if you push in the clutch or throw it in neutral. Main seal is fine no leak yet. I would like to figure this out. It sounds more like tire rub than any thing but there is more than enough clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.